Oil Level and Oil Temperature Gauge for Freewheeler similar to that for other HD FL

lingone

30+ Posts
Apr 29, 2022
Veuxhaulles sur Aube, France
Oil Level and Oil Temperature Gauge for Freewheeler similar to that for other HD FL

I went to order the HD oil level and temperature dipstick (Part 62700180), but find it does not fit the FLRT Freewheeler, despite the catalogue saying it fits all FL models.

Does anyone know of one that fits a Freewheeler, and a part number?

I went to order the HD oil level and temperature dipstick (Part 62700180), but find it does not fit the FLRT Freewheeler, despite the catalogue saying it fits all FL models. Does anyone know of one that fits a Freewheeler, and a part number?

I've looked at that part as well. Like davekp said, can you tell us why it doesn't fit?

The Harley Davidson website says it does not fit any of the HD Trikes. I do not have the gauge to test against my Freewheeler to see if it does fit, HD just say it does not.
Oil temperature is a " nice to have" but means little. Head temperature is more important. Your better off investing in A1 Cycles oil pressure gauge. Especially as the stock sensor can be glitchy. HD also says that the Airwing fender rails wont fit the FLRT but I installed them just fine.

I went to order the HD oil level and temperature dipstick (Part 62700180), but find it does not fit the FLRT Freewheeler, despite the catalogue saying it fits all FL models.

Does anyone know of one that fits a Freewheeler, and a part number?

My best guess is that the trikes are “upright” while all other FL’s “lean on” a jiffy stand.

While the temp part of the gauge might work, the oil level feature would be off…

Why the motor company doesn’t make one for trikes is beyond me.

Stock oil stick on a Tri is marked, "Upright" & "Side stand" My guess for a trike or 2 wheels...:Dorag: Easily fixed . Check oil with stock stick, then make a line on new stick for full. etch a line

If the only issue with using this gauge on a trike is the oil level, then you should be able to note how many segments are lit when you verify the engine is filled to the proper level. Be sure to check out the reviews and ratings, however. Some folks are not too happy with their purchase.

Stock oil stick on a Tri is marked, "Upright" & "Side stand" My guess for a trike or 2 wheels...:Dorag: Easily fixed . Check oil with stock stick, then make a line on new stick for full. etch a line[/QU

What you say about the oil stick on a Tri being marked "Upright" and "Side stand" is very interesting. I presume the level gauge (Part 62700180)

will fit but will not show the true oil level as the bike is upright, and it measures oil level on "Side stand". It fits but does not read true. That is easily compensated for by looking at what it reads when the oil level upright is correct using the original dipstick.

Oil Temperature and Level Gauge - Latest

Stock oil stick on a Tri is marked, "Upright" & "Side stand" My guess for a trike or 2 wheels...:Dorag: Easily fixed . Check oil with stock stick, then make a line on new stick for full. etch a line[/QU

What you say about the oil stick on a Tri being marked "Upright" and "Side stand" is very interesting. I presume the level gauge (Part 62700180) will fit but will not show the true oil level as the bike is upright, and it measures oil level on "Side stand". It fits but does not read true. That is easily compensated for by looking at what it reads when the oil level upright is correct using the original dip-stick.

I have now received the oil gauge dip stick (Part 62700180) and it does indeed fit the Freewheeler oil dipstick threaded opening.

As most of us surmised, it will record oil temperature (°F or °C), but it shows a full Freewheeler oil tank as at level 7 hot or cold. If the Milwaukee Eight engine was lower than this, it is clear that the gauge would show level 7 but flash a low-level warning.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy that level 7 (hot or cold) indicates a full oil level, and level 7 flashing indicates a need for a top up.

Does anyone see a problem with this? It warns me if I need to top up, and I can use the original dipstick to establish how much I need to add.

I have now received the oil gauge dip stick (Part 62700180) and it does indeed fit the Freewheeler oil dipstick threaded opening. As most of us surmised, it will record oil temperature (°F or °C), but it shows a full Freewheeler oil tank as at level 7 hot or cold. If the Milwaukee Eight engine was lower than this, it is clear that the gauge would show level 7 but flash a low-level warning. As far as I am concerned, I am happy that level 7 (hot or cold) indicates a full oil level, and level 7 flashing indicates a need for a top up. Does anyone see a problem with this? It warns me if I need to top up, and I can use the original dipstick to establish how much I need to add.

I believe your are blazing a new trail here. Please, by all means, keep us informed as how this is working out. Seems a lot of trikers are really interested in it including myself.

I have now received the oil gauge dip stick (Part 62700180) and it does indeed fit the Freewheeler oil dipstick threaded opening.

As most of us surmised, it will record oil temperature (°F or °C), but it shows a full Freewheeler oil tank as at level 7 hot or cold. If the Milwaukee Eight engine was lower than this, it is clear that the gauge would show level 7 but flash a low-level warning.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy that level 7 (hot or cold) indicates a full oil level, and level 7 flashing indicates a need for a top up.

Does anyone see a problem with this? It warns me if I need to top up, and I can use the original dipstick to establish how much I need to add.

Seems to me it is a waste of money, so you are saying you will need to have your original stick with you so you know how much oil to add?

That 4 sure would be a non starter for me JMO

Seems to me it is a waste of money, so you are saying you will need to have your original stick with you so you know how much oil to add?

I'm glad you said it....A regular dip stick works just fine for me, Anything else sounds like a Rube Goldberg toy....:Shrug:..

Have no issues with the OEM stick . Just added a sharpie mark on the upright side so I don’t get confused . And that can happen at any time I have a choice :xzqxz:

The benefit of the digital gauge is that I do not have to unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, reinsert into filler hole, screw down fully, and then unscrew to inspect level on the dipstick. With the digital gauge it shows solid level 7 as full, and flashing 7 as needing a top up. I am sure I will be able to calculate empirically (ie. trial and error) how much oil I need to add to go from 7 flashing to 7 solid (full). The benefit is not having to inspect the fixed dipstick to find out if the motor is either full or in need of a top up. Personally, when inspecting a dipstick (lorry, car or motorbike) I always seem to get at least a drop of oil on the engine, however careful I am.

However, as always it is a matter of personal preference - I am happy just to know by pushing a little button that it does not (or does) need a top-up.

Update on electronic gauge dimensions

The benefit of the digital gauge is that I do not have to unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, reinsert into filler hole, screw down fully, and then unscrew to inspect level on the dipstick. With the digital gauge it shows solid level 7 as full, and flashing 7 as needing a top up. I am sure I will be able to calculate empirically (ie. trial and error) how much oil I need to add to go from 7 flashing to 7 solid (full). The benefit is not having to inspect the fixed dipstick to find out if the motor is either full or in need of a top up. Personally, when inspecting a dipstick (lorry, car or motorbike) I always seem to get at least a drop of oil on the engine, however careful I am.

However, as always it is a matter of personal preference - I am happy just to know by pushing a little button that it does not (or does) need a top-up.

Here are the results of my comparison of the OE and electronic dipsticks:

With HD electronic gauge (readings on jiffy stand only)

4 Full

5 0.25 quart 0.25 litres

6 0.5 quart 0.47 litres

7 0.75 quart 0.71 litres

8 1.00 quart 0.95 litres

Range on dipstick for adding a quart/0.95 litres on jiffy stand: 0.75”/19mm

Dipstick measured from base to full on jiffy stand: 3.32”/82mm

Dipstick measured from base to adding a quart on jiffy stand: 2.49”/63mm

Dipstick cap to full mark on upright:3.52”/89mm

Original dipstick (readings on jiffy stand and upright)

Original dipstick range for adding a quart/0.95 litres on jiffy stand: 0.75”/19mm

Original dipstick measured from base of dipstick to full on jiffy stand: 2.67”/68mm

Original dipstick measured from base of dipstick to a quart on jiffy stand:1.95”/49mm

Original dipstick cap to full mark on jiffy stand:3.52”/89mm

Original dipstick range for adding a quart/0.95 litres upright: 0.67”/17mm

Original dipstick measured from base of dipstick to full upright: 3.029”/77mm

Original dipstick measured from base of dipstick to a quart upright: 2.4”/61mm

Original dipstick cap to full mark upright: 3.08”/78mm

Conclusions

Upright scale “full” is 0.44”/11mm higher than jiffy full. 11mm is equivalent to 2.6 bars on the electronic gauge. Needing a quart (0.95l) upright is 0.52”/13mm higher than jiffy scale. 13mm is equivalent to 3 bars on the electronic gauge.

On the OE dipstick (4.75mm on jiffy scale, 4.25mm on the upright scale) 1 bar on the electronic gauge is equivalent to 0.25 quart/0.24l.

Therefore, when the electronic gauge shows bar 4 (the lowest of the four bars) as solid the oil level is full. When bar 4 flashes it requires a top-up of at least 0.25 quart/0.24l.

There is also a page below comparing the two different dimensions. It would appear that HD could produce a Trike 'upright' electronic dipstick by lowering the sensors on the dipstick by around 12mm. Not rocket science, and I am sure there would be a demand. Meanwhile, I am happy to use the electronic dipstick to let me know if I need to top up at all.

Dipstick Dimensions Comparison

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png