Hannigan or Motor Trike for 12 Ultra Classic

Jun 20, 2012
Spicewood, TX
I know this is the typical dilemma we all go through. I have a 12 Ultra Classic and have narrowed my conversion choice between these two (Hannigan or Motor Trike Gladiator). Both are IRS and bring good stuff to the table but would like to have feedback from you more experienced members.
The wife likes both but leans toward the Hannigan, I'm neutral.

Hannigan Pros we see are : wider track which should help in ride comfort and stability, and aux. fuel tank, larger trunk.

Motor Trike Pros: Suspension is adjustable on the fly, seems to have better ground clearance (so loading and trailering would seem to be easier), and the narrower tracking I would think adds to maneuverability, has a rear bumper option that should help protect the fiberglass.

Dealer network seems to be close to the same.
SO what do you have and why, what expereance have you had both under warranty and after.
Thanks

The conventional wisdom seems to be find a builder 1st that is well recommended.
I did and the one that builds CSC also builds other kits. They tell me the CSC kit is more complex so I inferred that maintenance would be more involved. I must admit I have not driven a CSC but have the other two.

I have Motortrike on my 2011 Ultra, and very maneuverable and fun. We personally were shown through the Hannigan factory in 2011 and my hubby was very impressed with the build. We have a few friends in the states that have Hannigan kits on their Yamaha Ventures.... and they love 'em

I have a Hannigan kit on my v-rod which was installed by the great folks at their factory in Murray, KY. I am very comfortable recommending the quality, and comfort of the trike. In addition, I have found the Hannigan family (both the owners and their staff) to be wonderful to work with!

The conventional wisdom seems to be find a builder 1st that is well recommended.
I did and the one that builds CSC also builds other kits. They tell me the CSC kit is more complex so I inferred that maintenance would be more involved. I must admit I have not driven a CSC but have the other two.
Thanks. I was just curious as I said. As for maintenance the only thing I remember reading on this forum about CSC issues on Harleys was a sprocket issue. And CSC changed that sprocket a year or so ago. The CSC Daytona is longer, wider and has a larger trunk I believe. Plus the 11° rake is a winner in my opinion. But, it doesn't matter which kit you put on I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it. Don't think I've heard anyone say " yeah, this one's okay but next time I'm gonna get...." :) I have seen a few complaints about installers but not the kits.

Enjoy your trike and ride safe.

I love my CSC Daytona, and agree with Olguy...IRS, wider track, longer wheelbase and raked trees...what a great ride!!!

No matter which kit you choose, you'll love riding on three!

Where are you planning to ride the most and how do you want it to handle for you; good road surface, flat straight roads, curvy mountain roads?

As for suspension and handling:

The Hannigan: the longer and wider suspension for a good ride and handling, but no option for ride adjustability, coil spring over shocks with conventional anti-sway bar. Passanger doesn't sit right over the suspension. Certainly less moving parts. Rake 4.5o.

The Gladiator: shorter wheel base but great handling, coil spring over shocks with conventional sway bar, the air bag shock adjustablity does make the handling better as you move through winding or rough roads. Passanger is seated over suspension. Rake 4o.

The Daytona: Longer, wider wheel base, passanger sits forward the suspension, mono-shock suspension, Anti-Roll Bar, Manual adjustable shock option, performance brake upgrade option not offered by others. Rake at 11o.

As a dealer for 12 trike manufacturers that we build on a regular basis, we ask these questions and suggest a Test ride on as many makes as possible...ride them through some turns and rough roads at the recommended speed limit to really understand how they handle for most ride the same on straight and good surface roads.

Best Wishes on your persuit.

Thanks for the input so far.

No cross country rides planned, but will carry behind an RV often.

Live in Texas Hill Country and that is where most of the riding will be however we travel all over and often in hills like KY and TN. We prefer 2 lane roads over interstate travel anytime. I've opted for the COBRA PowerPro CVT tuner as I may be riding the coastal areas one day and be at 6-8K or more 2 days later in Colorado so did not want to deal with the need to retune caused by the quick environment changes.

The larger trunk of the Hannigan and CSC are attractive but not a deal breaker.

I've spoken w/ CSC, and Hannigan concerning their lack of offering a 'bumper' as I'm worried about all of that mass of unprotected fiberglass (and I realize it is just a rub rail on the MT but it is some protection). I prefer a higher ground clearance as my trailer is a short ram dove tail type which results in a somewhat steep incline for loading (but this can be easily overcome) so an on-the-fly height change ability would be a benefit. MT seems to build more Harley conversions (but that is pure speculation based on order to build time).

The one option not routinely offered by any of the kits is a set of finder mounted luggage racks (desired mostly so I can strap on a pet carrier beside my wife as opposed to behind her on the tour pack, got to have the management team along ya know).

The one option not routinely offered by any of the kits is a set of finder mounted luggage racks (desired mostly so I can strap on a pet carrier beside my wife as opposed to behind her on the tour pack, got to have the managment team along ya know).

Take a look at the pet carrier option offered by our member/sponsor, "Justin Carriage Works" (link below). Even if you have your own carrier, he also has the racks for the fenders that will allow you to attach your carrier beside your rider :).

Motorcycle Trike Pet Carrier

Thanks Nana
I had looked at those carrier options before and really like the look.
For now we have a Kuryakyn Pet Palace. Our 4 legged manager seems to like it so far, but we've only done short rides with him on top of the tour Pack.
I like all the options it gives as both a carrier and portable kennel which contains food bowls and his very own picnic basket :). My wife just likes to be able to look over and observe how he is enjoying the trip.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png