FYI, Recall, includes TG

Mr.Wizard

Rider
Jan 3, 2009
United States
You will need to check your VIN#

Service Check-up - See maintenance plans for your bike | Harley-Davidson USA

Dear Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Owner:

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2009 and 2010 Touring family vehicles (including CVO touring and Trike products) built June 6, 2008 through November 19, 2009. On these vehicles, the fuel tank front mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision. This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

Our records indicate that you purchased one of the affected motorcycles.

We strongly urge you to contact your dealer to make arrangements to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible.

Please contact your authorized Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealer immediately and arrange an appointment to have your motorcycle repaired. Your dealer will install a left and right hand brace, which are intended to reduce front mount distortion during certain crash conditions. Actual dealer labor time to perform this service will be less than one hour; however, due to scheduling, the dealer may require your motorcycle for a longer period of time. The parts and labor will be free of charge to you.

To verify that the service has been completed, your dealer will ask you to sign a recall claim. If you have sold your motorcycle, please forward the appropriate information about your purchaser. This will enable us to contact him/her and advise that person of this recall.

Also, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

If you have had this defect repaired before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall.

For more information contact Harley-Davidson at 1-414-343-4056. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition.

If you take your motorcycle to your dealer on a mutually agreed upon date and they do not perform the required service to your satisfaction, please contact Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. for immediate assistance at the address or telephone number listed on this letterhead. If your dealer or Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. fails or is unable to remedy your motorcycle without charge within a reasonable time, you may wish to inform the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or contact NHTSA at Safercar.gov.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but we are initiating this action in the interest of your personal safety and satisfaction with our products. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc.

the fuel tank front mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision.This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

Not to poke fun at a potentially serious (I guess) defect, but engineers (or their lawyers) speak in terms that can't help but make you laugh.

A. "the fuel tank front mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision"

Duhh...you think?

B. "A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire"

Duhh...you think? (I'm sorry, I think I already said that)

C. "which could lead to injury or death of the rider"

Duhh...you think? (one more time)

I'm guessing that before "B" occurs, the "rider" is a distance from the collision scene (knowhutimean?) and that "A" has already taken care of "C".

OK, seriously now...get out there and have the MoCo fix it!

:Flag:

Last edited:
My guess would be to either keep you from burning while still alive, but unconscious, or to just keep the dead body from stink'n so bad and still be able to have an open casket.

I'm running right out and putting an air bag in my radio.

Yes, yes, I know it isn't funny but you can always count on HD to do the right thing... right?

MY '10 SESG is part of this too but the kits aren't going to be shipped until the 14th and they are VIN specific. You must contact your dealer to get one specifically for your bike/trike then sign a recall acceptance/repair letter.

Ok, but we like having you around so please don't have that "severe frame damage from a frontal collision" before HD gets it completed! :D:D

Oh what the heck. We don't want you to have it after that either!

I think no matter what if you got hit hard enough to bend the frame back into the gas tank, any of them would possibly leak. And we wonder why things cost so much.

Lawyers?? Here ya go...

Insurance man: So your Harley burned up?

Rider: Yes, the tank leaked after I hit a tree.

Insurance man: OK, so did you know about the tank bracket recall?

Rider: Yes

Insurance man: So when did you get the recall preformed.

Rider: I didn't

Insurance man: So, your tank leaked due an impact. You knew about the recall for the tank brackets and you didn't have the recall done, is this correct?

Rider: Yes

Insurance man: Claim denied but thank you or your business. I hope that scare heals quickly, Good Day.

I'm going to have mine done. Sent an email to my SM with the VIN today so it can be ordered.

Whiz....as usual you are on top of things! Checked my TG vin number and it's on the recall list. Won't be riding anytime soon and as soon as the snow melts, will have HD pick up. I hate winters:groan:

Barb, where did you find this info? I went to the link Wiz had on the HD site, put in my vin# but it gave no information at all, just took me to another page and told me I had a FLHTCUTG 2009 TG>

From what I saw none of the 09 T Glides are involved in the recall. By the way I sold my T Glide (09), but I still have my 07 CSC for sale.

Dwight

Barb, where did you find this info? I went to the link Wiz had on the HD site, put in my vin# but it gave no information at all, just took me to another page and told me I had a FLHTCUTG 2009 TG>

Try the link Wiz has at the beginning of this site(under service check up). I put Christine's Tg's vin # in & believe it's on the recall list. Also she's working today but I'll have her get with you later this week.

That's weird......I clicked on the link, put in my vin # and my TG is on the recall list. Printed the page for my dealer.

Maybe your TG is not on the recall list.

Last edited:
From what I saw none of the 09 T Glides are involved in the recall. By the way I sold my T Glide (09), but I still have my 07 CSC for sale.

Dwight

Umm...I put in the vin # on my TG and service recall indicated attention? Don't know why you'd say non of the '09 TG's are involved...you wouldn't know that unless you had every TG made with vin #'s.

I am hoping that is what that means. My TG was built after Nov. 19 I am pretty sure, which doesn't make sense. The recall also indicates some 2010 Bikes are on this list. What i don't understand is, why would later in the year trikes be built any different? If they noticed a problem, why wait so long to recall?

I ran my Vin number thru and it showed up for the recall, Mine was built in March/April of 09, also my dealer knows about it already. I didn't get anything thru the mail yet. I'm not planning on getting it done until I get back from my Florida trip the first week of Feb when I get my 10,000 mile service.

MoCo is sending out a number or repair kits today.

Your selling dealer has a list of VIN #'s and will be contacting you if you qualify for the recall. You will hear nothing if you are not on the list.

There will be a priority as to how the kits are installed as they first come in...

1. Sold bikes waiting to be delivered.
2. Unsold bikes.
3. Sold bikes by appointment.

I saw the list at my dealership. It was six pages long with 50 Vin #'s per page. This will take a while.

Last edited:
btw... for those interested...

I have the recall saved on a PDF file. 5 pages. It gives complete instructions on what and how with part numbers.

Looks like the additional brace is chrome.

If anyone wants a copy send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you a copy.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png