rear tire rubbing spring

Mar 5, 2017
Bloomfield
99 goldwing 1500 roadsmith ultimate kit 22,000 miles. Was in the process of changing the swaybar and found a shinny place on the left rear spring. Also a worn spot on the tire.
If the body lean is bad enough will the tire and spring make light contact. :Shrug: I've checked everything and can't find anything worn out. The tire size is P215-60R 15 I think. This thing rides good it just has a bunch of body lean, also the springs are adjusted with zero preload. The adjustment bolts have about 1.5 inch adjustment but how much should be used.

99 goldwing 1500 roadsmith ultimate kit 22,000 miles. Was in the process of changing the swaybar and found a shinny place on the left rear spring. Also a worn spot on the tire.
If the body lean is bad enough will the tire and spring make light contact. :Shrug: I've checked everything and can't find anything worn out. The tire size is P215-60R 15 I think. This thing rides good it just has a bunch of body lean, also the springs are adjusted with zero preload. The adjustment bolts have about 1.5 inch adjustment but how much should be used.
At the risk of sounding boring, I would recommend you call Roadsmith. They can you definitive answers and the quickest solution to your problem.

Total speculation here but, my RS came with 205 size tires so I'm wondering if those 215's you have were original equipment size. If they are oversized it could be the source of the problem.

Good luck.

I'd make sure that the tire and wheel size is correct. Nothing worst then having a blow out when going down the road. On some trikes, they use a wheel spacer to space the wheel out. Do you have a wheel spacer missing ???

Don't know about tire and wheel size being OEM. They were on it when I got it. I will see what RS has to say.:confused:

I have the same problem on my 09 GL1800 with a Roadsmith kit. I have talked to Roadsmith a couple of times and looked at one of their newer kits at Wing Ding last year. The older kits had springs that were a larger diameter than what they are putting on the newer kits and there is very little clearance between the left tire and the spring. The right side has slightly more clearance and doesn't rub on mine. Roadsmith told me that some dealers are known for putting on larger tires for the looks which is what my dealer had done. Their suggestion to me was to install wheel spacers.

Smilam Sounds like you had the exact same problem as I do. So what size shoes are standard size. :Shrug: I have sent RS a e-mail but haven't got a reply yet. I found some 1/4 inch wheel spacers but haven't installed them yet, waiting on the performance sway bar to show up. :D

I also added the performance swaybar which helped some and set the shocks at the firmest setting. The stock tires according to the Roadsmith manual are P215/55R-16 and their optional tires and wheels are P225/45R-17. The tires installed on mine are P215/55R-17. Mine don't rub when I ride solo but riding two up it will rub mainly on sweeping right hand turns such as a highway on ramp if I take it a little fast. When we are loaded for a extended road trip with more weight in the trunk it is more pronounced. As long as I take it easy it doesn't rub. When it rubs you will know it because of the burnt rubber smell. I still need to go out and buy some wheel spacers, I called a couple of tire places that don't sell spacers and just haven't got around to calling other places yet.

hey guys

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge. :goodjob: After contacting RS it seems your advice is spot-on as they recommend to tighten the springs

as much as possible, add wheel spacers, and swap the sway bar to the performance sway bar. So when the new bar gets here, along with warm weather, look out highway here we come.
clapping%20smilie.gif

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png