Primary Fluid Capacity

Jul 30, 2012
Dandridge, TN
If you look in the Owner's Manual or the Shop Manual for the recomended refill capacity of the primary housing, on a Tri Glide, it states: "38 fl. Oz. (wet)" or "45 fl. Oz. (dry). My question is, what do they mean by dry. I assume they mean dry if you replace the clutch assembly, but there is no explanation in either manual. I am pulling my primary cover to replace the clutch spring. So should I put in 38 or 45 fl. oz.

thanks in advance for all your help.

If you look in the Owner's Manual or the Shop Manual for the recomended refill capacity of the primary housing, on a Tri Glide, it states: "38 fl. Oz. (wet)" or "45 fl. Oz. (dry). My question is, what do they mean by dry. I assume they mean dry if you replace the clutch assembly, but there is no explanation in either manual. I am pulling my primary cover to replace the clutch spring. So should I put in 38 or 45 fl. oz.

thanks in advance for all your help.

Since you will be pulling the whole primary cover you will loose pretty much all the oil by the time you clean all the crap out of the cover and the rest drips out of the inner primary, your going to be real close to the 45 oz fill. Once you have the primary together you can start with 38oz and look in to see if it is just touching the bottom of the clutch plates, if it is your good to go. If not add some more until you reach 45 oz or the bottom of the clutch plates. When I say plates I mean the actual clutch plates and not the pressure plate where the spring goes on top of.

Thanks M3, wouldn't that be about the outside edge of the clutch spring. There is a picture in the shop manual showing a fluid level about there, but no reference to it.

Thanks M3, wouldn't that be about the outside edge of the clutch spring. There is a picture in the shop manual showing a fluid level about there, but no reference to it.

I like to see mine just a touch below the clutch spring, the oil isn't really there to lube the clutch plats their selves, its there to lube the chain, compensator and inner primary bearing.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png