compensators for Harley triglides

Sep 23, 2013
Carleton, Michigan
Had my Trike in for some work by my Mechanic. When I came to pick it up he mentioned that my compensator was getting noisy and will need to be replaced sometime soon. He recommended the "Baker comp" over the Screamin Eagle one. The SE one is in my bike now. I have 12k on it. what does any of you all think on this???

I remember seeing the baker comp at the dealer show in Cincy last year if memory serves me correctly it looked like the early style comps( 2000-2007) which very reliable,i would choose it over the SE if you only can get 12,000 miles out of the SE.

I remember seeing the baker comp at the dealer show in Cincy last year if memory serves me correctly it looked like the early style comps( 2000-2007) which very reliable,i would choose it over the SE if you only can get 12,000 miles out of the SE.

thanks, the short lived SE comp wearing so fast may be due to my driving alot of short-stop and Go drives for me. Don't do long distance these last two years because of my Sciatica problems.
I heard they got a NEW SE comp. with a oiler tray or something to that nature. but thanks for the reply. I am hoping someone has used either one (baker/SE newbie). probably won't have it done until next year. Riding season hear in Michigan is coming close to ending in a month. Head to Florida for a short time and then come back to hibernate until spring.

My compensators usually last 25k on average on my '10 TG. So, needless to say, mine has been replaced multiple times. If still under extended warranty, I would make them replace it again.

My compensators usually last 25k on average on my '10 TG. So, needless to say, mine has been replaced multiple times. If still under extended warranty, I would make them replace it again.

Didn't get the extended warranty. I don't care for the local Harley shop by me anyways. I do have a good mechanic that lives close to me out here in the country. Like I said before, he recommends the Baker comp. I was just trying to see if anyone has the new SE comp. and if it is better than the Baker one.:Coffee:

I have the new SE in my 13. The original lasted about 14k. The SE replacement has 20k on it and all is well. No experience with the baker but they are a good company.

Considering that Baker specializes in drive train products vs that which is no doubt outsourced by the Mo Co, not a difficult choice imho. I would/will choose Baker when the need arises. Be it the compensator, primary chain tensioner or, the reverse motor replacement.

I'm sittin on 31,500 miles on an 2012 T-glide at the moment. What should I be listening for to know when my compensator sprocket is about to die? (Assuming I can even hear it with a high frequency hearing loss.)

PC

I'm sittin on 31,500 miles on an 2012 T-glide at the moment. What should I be listening for to know when my compensator sprocket is about to die? (Assuming I can even hear it with a high frequency hearing loss.)

PC

clutch clunking in gear; grinding noises, weakness in clutch operation and asking a trustworthy mechanic if he thinks the compensator is going.

Last edited:
Had my Trike in for some work by my Mechanic. When I came to pick it up he mentioned that my compensator was getting noisy and will need to be replaced sometime soon. He recommended the "Baker comp" over the Screamin Eagle one. The SE one is in my bike now. I have 12k on it. what does any of you all think on this???
IMO the MOCO should get their parts from Baker USA all the way

Compensator Upgrade

I recently replaced my SE compensator with 14k with a Man o War from Dark Horse Crank Works. This is the answer to to removing the clunking and rattle at shut off from the HD comp with all its excessive parts that wear and fail. Do yourself a favor and check these out before installing anything else. Oh and by the way you can rebuild it for forty dollars if the time ever comes for that, but they have been pretty much bullet proof.:clapping:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png