Handlebar change out

Sunman

900+ Posts
Apr 6, 2011
Bellville, Texas, USA
OK, after all this time I decided to change out my bars for more pullback due to shoulder and neck pain. Got the OEM bars off and on the work bench. Cannot get the wire pins to release out of the plugs so I can pull the wiring harnesses out with the switch packs. Tried a safety pin, straight pin and paperclip to release the pins but no luck on any of the pins. Got to be doing something wrong. The manual lists a variety of possible different connectors. The small connectors are JAE but I could not find a name on the big connector on the TBW harness. Could not find a video on the internet that covered a (2015) Freewheeler or any FW handlebar change-out. Any one got any thoughts, guidance......prayers? Lol. I am good on mechanical but not so good on electrical. Any help appreciated.

Sunman

Alright , I’ll try ;

First thing I did was took a picture as is , so the colors went back into the same slot.

Move a wire in and out on the connector and you should see a small tit lock on the wire end in the connector.

I used a small paper clip , making the end flat with a hammer turning it into a flat head screwdriver .

Stick it in the connector between the tit and connector then pull out the wire with the end attached.

Assemble by pushing the wire connector in ,you will hear a locking snap.

Take note as to what side the tit end goes back into the connector.

That step takes the longest in the bar change . Good luck .🍀👍 You can doooo it :clapping:

Alright , I’ll try ;First thing I did was took a picture as is , so the colors went back into the same slot.

Move a wire in and out on the connector and you should see a small tit lock on the wire end in the connector. I used a small paper clip , making the end flat with a hammer turning it into a flat head screwdriver. Stick it in the connector between the tit and connector then pull out the wire with the end attached. Assemble by pushing the wire connector in ,you will hear a locking snap. Take note as to what side the tit end goes back into the connector. That step takes the longest in the bar change . Good luck . You can doooo it :clapping:

Thanks. Going to try again this morning. Got frustrated last night and had to walk away.

Sunman

I have a Tri-Glide and while I'm not knowledgeable about Freewheelers I don't think they would be much different. Not quite sure what you trying to 'pull out.' Is the wiring from the swtiches internal in the oem bars? If so that is different from the TG because the switch wiring is not internal. Only the wiring to the twist grip sensor is internal.

With that being said when I changed the bars on my 2018 TG I ran all the wires internally inside the bars. And I didn't pull any of the plugs. The small JAE plugs pulled right through with no problem. And the plug for the twist grip sensor pulls right through also.

ADDED: I went to an online parts catalog to check part numbers. Your 2015 FW and my 2018 TG use the same wire harness that runs from the switches to the connection inside the fairing - 69200178 for left and 69200179 for right. The twist grip sensors are different part numbers but looking at the parts diagram the plugs look identical to me. So I think you can pull everything with the plugs intact. Just stagger them so they aren't bunched up. And I added heated grips so there was wiring for that on the left side that had to be pulled.

I did that for a friend several years ago Danny. I think we used a "jewelers fine screwdriver". very fine. Hope this helps & best of luck , Hope we do Kville in Sept.

I have a Tri-Glide and while I'm not knowledgeable about Freewheelers I don't think they would be much different. Not quite sure what you trying to 'pull out.' Is the wiring from the swtiches internal in the oem bars? If so that is different from the TG because the switch wiring is not internal. Only the wiring to the twist grip sensor is internal. With that being said when I changed the bars on my 2018 TG I ran all the wires internally inside the bars. And I didn't pull any of the plugs. The small JAE plugs pulled right through with no problem. And the plug for the twist grip sensor pulls right through also. ADDED: I went to an online parts catalog to check part numbers. Your 2015 FW and my 2018 TG use the same wire harness that runs from the switches to the connection inside the fairing - 69200178 for left and 69200179 for right. The twist grip sensors are different part numbers but looking at the parts diagram the plugs look identical to me. So I think you can pull everything with the plugs intact. Just stagger them so they aren't bunched up. And I added heated grips so there was wiring for that on the left side that had to be pulled.

Thanks for the info Jerry. Yep, all the wiring is internal on the Freewheelers.

Sunman

I did that for a friend several years ago Danny. I think we used a "jewelers fine screwdriver". very fine. Hope this helps & best of luck , Hope we do Kville in Sept.

Thanks Bill. Somewhere in the garage I have a jeweler's kit. I will hunt it down and see if that works when I get back on it. Got sidetracked helping a friend with a project at his house so my project is put off for a few days. Oh well, have been riding it this way for 5 years. Would be great if we can do the Kerrville thing in September. Hopefully we can so I get to see your new trike up close.

Sunman

I just changed out my bars on my triglide and pulled the wires inside. My suggestion would be to pull the switch wiring first and then pull the throttle wiring. Where the punched the holes and made the dimples on the bars leave some sharp edges inside the bars. I bought some wiring lube from Home Depot to lube the wiring harness.

I just changed out my bars on my triglide and pulled the wires inside. My suggestion would be to pull the switch wiring first and then pull the throttle wiring. Where the punched the holes and made the dimples on the bars leave some sharp edges inside the bars. I bought some wiring lube from Home Depot to lube the wiring harness.

That would probably be better but I just used Windex. It's pretty slippery stuff and worked quite well.

Hey Sunman Just curious what handlebars did you change too? Hope you got your project completed without too much trouble.

Got the Khrome Werks +2 narrow sweepers, p/n 300518. All I really want is 2 - 3 inches more pull back. Damaged one of the small JAE connectors and had an intermittent electrical problem throwing DTC codes 0141 and 0142 (lost communications with left hand and right hand switch packs). Finally tracked it down to the connector on the wire from the engine run/off switch on the right hand switch pack. Hard wired around the connector and trike runs fine now. PIA.

Sunman

Got the Khrome Werks +2 narrow sweepers, p/n 300518. All I really want is 2 - 3 inches more pull back. Damaged one of the small JAE connectors and had an intermittent electrical problem throwing DTC codes 0141 and 0142 (lost communications with left hand and right hand switch packs). Finally tracked it down to the connector on the wire from the engine run/off switch on the right hand switch pack. Hard wired around the connector and trike runs fine now. PIA.

Sunman
I am getting ready to order these bars. Did they change anything with the angle of the mirrors or affect the use of the mirrors, such as shoulder or arm blocking view? I am currently running OEM bars with OEM mirrors using the extensions.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png