Adding Harley TPMS to Tri-Glide

I went down the path of investigating retrofitting HD TPMS to my ‘21 Tri Glide last year shorty after purchasing it…to make a (very) long story short, here’s what I found:

1. CVO wheels have a different valve stem hole size than the standard Tri Glide wheels… so CVO sensors cannot be used with your standard triglide wheels. The sensors also have a different internal profile and are mechanically “keyed” (a small projection that fits the profile of the wheel ) so they will fit CVO wheels.

2. While the radio is essentially the same, and the LCD Display on the gauges will cycle through front, left rear and right rear for tire pressure, the system is looking for custom sensors Harley made by LDL technologies in France. Standard automotive sensors will NOT work or talk to the system because the LDL system uses a different Communications protocol. I tried.

3. You could retrofit CVO wheels and sensors ($$$) to a standard Triglide, but in using the internal Harley system you will not have the ability to adjust the warning threshold for tire pressures. As we know most of us run lower tire pressures then factory for a better ride. This would be annoying after the first 5 miles to keep getting alarms.

4. In the end, I went with a Fobo 2 external TPMS system with screw on sensors. I used an 83° metal valve stem on the front and have sufficient clearance so the front rotor does not interfere. Kurveygirl.com had the valve stems.

The Fobo system has the ability to set tire pressure warning levels and the app runs on my iPhone, which will also show up on my radio display on the trike as I have CarPlay.

I went down the path of investigating retrofitting HD TPMS to my ‘21 Tri Glide last year shorty after purchasing it…to make a (very) long story short, here’s what I found:

1. CVO wheels have a different valve stem hole size than the standard Tri Glide wheels… so CVO sensors cannot be used with your standard triglide wheels. The sensors also have a different internal profile and are mechanically “keyed” (a small projection that fits the profile of the wheel ) so they will fit CVO wheels.

2. While the radio is essentially the same, and the LCD Display on the gauges will cycle through front, left rear and right rear for tire pressure, the system is looking for custom sensors Harley made by LDL technologies in France. Standard automotive sensors will NOT work or talk to the system because the LDL system uses a different Communications protocol. I tried.

3. You could retrofit CVO wheels and sensors ($$$) to a standard Triglide, but in using the internal Harley system you will not have the ability to adjust the warning threshold for tire pressures. As we know most of us run lower tire pressures then factory for a better ride. This would be annoying after the first 5 miles to keep getting alarms.

4. In the end, I went with a Fobo 2 external TPMS system with screw on sensors. I used an 83° metal valve stem on the front and have sufficient clearance so the front rotor does not interfere. Kurveygirl.com had the valve stems.

The Fobo system has the ability to set tire pressure warning levels and the app runs on my iPhone, which will also show up on my radio display on the trike as I have CarPlay.

Sir - I really appreciate your write-up and help. It may in the long run just same me some time and perhaps a bit of money. Interesting in that since I am aware that the low light will stay on and, also the security light (red light) - I have ben able to simply overlook it and it doesn't bother me.

The security light is ion because we disable the low pressure notification. Before that was disabled, each time you started the bike, it would tell you the pressure was low and asked it you wanted to find a station. Now, you can stat and get going - but the low pressure light still stays on.

So, if anything, my goal is to get that low light off. Not sure if adding the FOBO system will accomplish that. For now, I will just check my air the old fashion way.

If my bike didn't come with TPMS, then there would not have been an issue. So, if you run a cross ay different methods, please do post them.

Funny - I had posted earlier about issues with clearance on the external sensor on my front wheel ('014 Tri-Glide) and I had just been researching and wondering if a right angle metal valve stem would work. Sounds like you've done that and it's working for you.

I had also wondered if using a shorter valve stem would work, but at this point I think I'll give the angled one a try. Just gotta wait until I am having something else done with the front wheel/tire and it's worth the money to get that valve stem replaced.

Funny - I had posted earlier about issues with clearance on the external sensor on my front wheel ('014 Tri-Glide) and I had just been researching and wondering if a right angle metal valve stem would work. Sounds like you've done that and it's working for you.

I had also wondered if using a shorter valve stem would work, but at this point I think I'll give the angled one a try. Just gotta wait until I am having something else done with the front wheel/tire and it's worth the money to get that valve stem replaced.

Let us know how it works out.

I have a 2014 Tri Glide and ended up adding a 3rd party option:

https://sykik.com/collections/wireless-tire-pressure-monitor/products/tpms-trikes

I like it- went with the option that has a display I mount on the bike, but I think they have an option that pairs with your phone if you want as well.

HOWEVER- I found out the hard way that mounting the device on the front tire valve stem doesn't work out of the gate because it ends up hitting the caliper assembly on rotation. Found that out by losing it while on a trip.

The solution is to buy an angled valve stem and put that on the front. I plan to do this when I change the front tire so until then am just running TPMS on the rear tires.

I was looking into doing this on my 2020 triglide. Guess I'll pass.

Got to wonder also....what happens when you put a reversed rear tire on the front as many trikers are doing? Guess the old fashion method of looking at tires is the way to go.

I have a 2014 Tri Glide and ended up adding a 3rd party option:

https://sykik.com/collections/wireless-tire-pressure-monitor/products/tpms-trikes

I like it- went with the option that has a display I mount on the bike, but I think they have an option that pairs with your phone if you want as well.

HOWEVER- I found out the hard way that mounting the device on the front tire valve stem doesn't work out of the gate because it ends up hitting the caliper assembly on rotation. Found that out by losing it while on a trip.

The solution is to buy an angled valve stem and put that on the front. I plan to do this when I change the front tire so until then am just running TPMS on the rear tires.

This is available from FOBO. Had them on my Ultra.

FOBO_Bike_2160430.jpg

Yeah here's some more info and pics. The one pic I forgot is that there is a monitor that I mounted on my bars and the monitor is what pings the three tire sensors and gives me a display of tire pressure, tire temp, and any warnings I have configured.

As the pics show, there is very little clearance on my '14 Tri-Glide between the valve stem cap and parts of the brake caliper assembly. So you can imagine that when the tire sensor is on the valve stem, it's just bigger enough that it is hitting against that caliper assembly. When I had the sensor on, and manually rotated the tire, I could see it hitting just a bit against the caliper assembly. So I'm guessing that's why both the sensor and its little locking nut both disappeared mid-ride.

Other than this issue, I am pleased with the TPMS system. You can also get internal vs external sensors, but this requires that you take off the wheel and tire and replace the valve stem needle stuff which is a lot more work than just screwing on the external sensors.

I will still research if I can get a slightly shorter valve stem for the front tire- that would likely solve this issue for me.

Here are some pictures of My front wheel with Sykik sensor installed 2021 TriGlide Ultra. As long as your valve stem is less than an inch long there is no clearance issue. There is at least a 1/4" clearance. Only thing I am not sure of is whether brake wear will make my caliper get closer to sensor. I will surely keep an eye on that.

Attachments

• Sykik Sensor Clearance.jpg
    Sykik Sensor Clearance.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Valve stem length.jpg
    Valve stem length.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 35

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png