Passenger backrest removal and hole covers?

RodMyers

20+ Posts
Feb 17, 2018
Knoxville, TN, USA
On occasion, I like to remove the passenger back rest. Though leaving the mounting hole open is a concern.

Does HD, or any manufacturer, offer a cover plate of some kind?

Thanks

Nope ....ductape !

Corbin saddles offer a fabric flap for the backrest, but you need to get a Corbin !

As far as HD goes , it’s a rain drain.

I may be confused. Are you refering to the sissy bar uprights? If so, mine came with plugs.

They did not in the beginning. Soon after I bought my 2015 I also bought the sissy bar. I did not have it installed so I know they didn't. I noticed later that someone had them so I checked it out. Jack posted a part number for the plugs sold separately but I never bought them.

They did not in the beginning. Soon after I bought my 2015 I also bought the sissy bar. I did not have it installed so I know they didn't. I noticed later that someone had them so I checked it out. Jack posted a part number for the plugs sold separately but I never bought them.

DO you by chance still have the link to them?

On occasion, I like to remove the passenger back rest. Though leaving the mounting hole open is a concern.

Does HD, or any manufacturer, offer a cover plate of some kind?

Thanks

I couldn't find anything, so i went to ACE and found a cork with a black cap that looks ok to me, and they are still there after riding on Illinois roads

If you want to remove the docking hardware....

If you want to remove the docking hardware, these (HD Part no. 61300315) are available through your local stealership. I had to order mine, and it took a week.

If you just want to plug the hole in the quick-release docks, Rat's solution -- black rubber corks from Home Despot or Lowe's -- will getcha there. However, unless they've been been blocked, there are drain holes at the bottom of those quick-release docks, and the corks (or chrome-covered plugs) are just a nicety rather than a necessity.

I say 'unless they've been blocked' because the genius who owned my Freewheeler used silicone caulk to cement the sissy bar in place, and the silicone blocked those drain holes, causing water to pool and rust the hardware. Once I got the bar out, I had to remove and completely disassemble the docking hardware, clean out the silicone and rust, grease the spring mechanisms, and then reinstall the docking hardware.

All that, and the odds are I will never use the damn sissy bar....

....but like a.... well, like certain personal protection equipment :gunbandana:, better to have one and not need it than the other way around! :)

Bitch Rack Mount Plugs.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png