Trike Front Tire Testimonials and Reviews

Honestly guys, I don't think I have seen any difference in the reports of wear/tear or handling whether the tire is installed per forward or reversed rotation. What DOES seem to make a difference is the use of a rear motorcycle tire on the front wheel of a trike. Either way they mount the rear tire, our members report much longer tire life and excellent, even improved, handling over the use of a stock front motorcycle tire.

Honestly guys, I don't think I have seen any difference in the reports of wear/tear or handling whether the tire is installed per forward or reversed rotation. What DOES seem to make a difference is the use of a rear motorcycle tire on the front wheel of a trike. Either way they mount the rear tire, our members report much longer tire life and excellent, even improved, handling over the use of a stock front motorcycle tire.

Ah, there's the forest amongst all them trees.

Now, how big are you guys going? I keep hearing brands, but no numbers. My front end can fit anything a wide glide can (and larger). Keep it coming.

Ah, there's the forest amongst all them trees.

Now, how big are you guys going? I keep hearing brands, but no numbers. My front end can fit anything a wide glide can (and larger). Keep it coming.

The rear tire mounted on the front of our RSV trike is the same size as the original front tire, but load rating went from 71 to 77 and tread depth went from 9/32" to 11/32". Tire size is 150/80HB-16.

The rear tire mounted on the front of our RSV trike is the same size as the original front tire, but load rating went from 71 to 77 and tread depth went from 9/32" to 11/32". Tire size is 150/80HB-16.

Hmmmmmmmm....I'd like to take a moment to revisit something I touched on in the OP:

29 x 18.50 Hoosier Pro Street Radials mounted on 15 x 14 (Cragar) rims.

A 150/80...seems a little to conventional for this project.
don't worry about the front fender...that's going to be custom no matter how I mess with it. Looking for Width and sidewall.

so, who's the buckaroo with the largest front tire on the block? (Mind you If I could I'd throw a 250 on there, but it just ain't gonna fit)

Well I ask another question of the OP. Will you ever consider white wall tyres?. I'm in Oz and things are a little different over here with regulation. My experience is limited with my VW style trike and during this ownership period I've had Bridgestone then Michelin front tires (16 inch x 3 inch rim. 150/80 r16). Never got more than 6000 mls from them.

Then changed to a hot rod tyre 600-16. A massive 3 inches more diameter. white walled each side by Firestone. And a few surprises. Firstly the rim being only 3 inches wide allows for "crowning" of the tyre when inflated. This curvature of the tyre tread results in a roundish shape enough to simulate a round motorcycle tyre- enough for a lot of tread to remain on the road during hard cornering. You feel bumps less.

The tread amount on the road at all times is about twice as much as the motorcycle tyres it replaced. This is evident with the heavier steering, the only negative in my view. Grip is outstanding in all weather conditions even on wet roads. Far less prone to aquaplaning which is more common on the VW style trikes with their light front end (downforce on my front tire to the road is 25lb)

Another negative is you have to wear the tire in a little. Until then you feel like it has a slippery surface which it does until 200 miles are covered which led to a little initial disappointment so be aware. And wear? It has done 3000mls only and looks new, deeper tread than MC tires. I think it will last a long time.

Finally, it give an appearance of a laid back look, large front tire smaller diameter rear tires. In my view it enhances the chopper look. As you are at the design stage the option of wheel size can be decided on now. Then you wont need to raise your guard like I had to to allow for this larger tire. Just my views and yes, mine is a Harley rim.

IMG_0019-3.jpg

IMG_0041-2.jpg

That's a very impressive looking rig you have there.

As far as white walls go, I've always thought of those tires as something that belonged on classic, classy rides, be they 2, 3, or 4 wheeled.

Indians, Hornets, Woodys, Rolls Royces....those MCs and Autos that needed that little bit of something extra back in the day that helped to define it's status as a classy, upper crust, high end part of the market.

Then came the ratrod, with its demand for a skinny white wall, so that way it harkens back to the classic, but in no way presents itself as classy.

The Freekshow trike, in no way, is to be either. Sticking with all black and an MC tire. I'll need the easier performance of the MC tire given the bizarre and overly long length of the front forks.

But as I said, I'll take all suggestions because nothing has made me had that epiphony where I go...oh, THAT's the direction I want to go in.

One way to break in tire as in tread is to scuff it with sandpaper not supercoarse and it will not be as slick on the road and you can tell when you ride the 1st time. Was told it was from racing.

k.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png