Exhaust scraping? Anyone?

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
As you may know when the Tri Glide first came out many of us started reporting that the exhaust would scrape on parking lot/driveway aprons and on speed bumps. Sometimes this could be avoided by hitting the approach at an angle, but not always. Trailering brought the same issues depending on the trailer ect. Dennis came out with a fix for that with his lift kit, and DK Customs follow shortly afterwards.

So, anyone having this happen on the FLRT? I'm hoping that the shorter body/mufflers will mean this will not be an issue, but until I get it out and start riding into the places I know my TG would scrape I will not know for sure.

Like I have said before; Vance and Hines has Mufflers that fit under Triglides that solve all clearance problems and sound great! I know, because I have them on mine and love the look,fit,and sound, part# 223-642 (J&P catalog)...........:Coffee:

Like I have said before; Vance and Hines has Mufflers that fit under Triglides that solve all clearance problems and sound great! I know, because I have them on mine and love the look,fit,and sound, part# 223-642 (J&P catalog)...........:Coffee:
Unfortunately, Freewheeler mufflers are about 2 1/2" shorter but a lift looks like it works.

3 Tri-Glides and a Freewheeler and we have never had a problem on our steep driveway, or any other driveway for that matter. This includes 2 Porsches and a Vette. The Porsches were lowered Uhhh, they like to call it De-Cambered with Abarth exhaust. The trick is to enter and exit any driveway at a 45* angle. Ditto speed bumps. We even installed CFR 4" Megaphone mufflers on wife's '14 trike without any clearance problems.

As I said, when we use the trailer I put 4' long 2 X 6's under the rear tires to the ramps, this gives me the height clearance without altering the stance of either trike.

I'm an Engineer, I tend not to screw with factory designs. Someone got paid a lot of money to design it the way it is built.

IF you like the look of the raised rear end, go for the lifts. Kevin is a good guy, and I'm sure he does quality work.

Well aware of the lift kit that DK has come out with. That does not answer the question.

Not talking about the TG. The FLRT uses different mufflers and has a shorter body on it.

Well aware of the lift kit that DK has come out with. That does not answer the question.

Not talking about the TG. The FLRT uses different mufflers and has a shorter body on it.

ok; Kuryakyn has a set of Exhaust pipes that Fit your FLRT and are Oval shaped # 442-382 ($700) and S&S cycle has a set # 444-410 that fits your trike.:Shrug:

Hey Keystone...I don't have a Freewheeler, but in looking and measuring them, I seriously doubt you will scrape the pipes on them. The stock Freewheeler sits the bottom of the exhaust higher than a Stock Tri-Glide that Has a Lift Kit installed.

When we designed out Lift Kits for the Tri-Glide (that also fit the Freewheeler), it was not with scraping of pipes in mind. It was to get the Trike level, both for looks and for improved steering/handling. The benefit of not scraping was a side benefit.

The Comfort Lift design was fueled by getting the Trike level, improving steering/handling, AND to give a plusher ride. Again, the side benefit being, better clearance for the exhaust.

On the Freewheeler, reports from HD Dealerships and a few Customers have been that the steering is easier, the Trike does not sag beyond level with a rider on board, and that the ride is smoother with the Comfort Lift installed.

Kevin

Able to load in my driveway with out scrapping. Just makes it. So that means most places I will have to raise the front a bit and will be fine. That 3" shorter helps allot.

I installed a set of CFR 4" megaphone mufflers on my Freewheeler. As said before, they are 2 1/2 inches longer than the stock mufflers, but this wasn't a problem. By filing the inside of the pipe and removing any welding splatter they slipped on the head pipe 1 3/4 inches farther than the stock muffler. You can barely notice the additional 3/4 of an inch that sticks out. They are larger in diameter than the stock mufflers, and are a bit of a pain in the ass to tighten the rear hanger bolt. I use a crow foot socket. Anyway, with nearly 3000 miles on my FLRT, up and down driveways and over speed bumps I haven't dragged a muffler. Love the sound of the CFR knock-offs!! The cost of the slip-ons was $175.00 with free shipping.

http://www.kcint2.com/

exhaust scraping

I have a freewheeler, 205 I have never scraped pipes, I also installed the screaming eagle cannon slip on mufflers. sound great not loud just a bit of a rumble also seems to improve throttle response and a bit more torqe. I read every where how people have trouble with the muffler bolts. Just take off the body, 6 bolt and one electrical plug in take 15 minute max then you can tighten every thing up properly

Hey Keystone...I don't have a Freewheeler, but in looking and measuring them, I seriously doubt you will scrape the pipes on them. The stock Freewheeler sits the bottom of the exhaust higher than a Stock Tri-Glide that Has a Lift Kit installed.

When we designed out Lift Kits for the Tri-Glide (that also fit the Freewheeler), it was not with scraping of pipes in mind. It was to get the Trike level, both for looks and for improved steering/handling. The benefit of not scraping was a side benefit.

Hi Kevin! I completely agree with the minimal lift theory. I also agree with our engineer pal, Screwball about not messing with professionally tested designs. But the FLRT is still very new and I think there were some engineering oversights in getting this product on the market during the Mt. Rushmore marketing project. First and foremost is the "thrown on" unsightly steering damper on the FLRT. Needs much improvement.

The second item is handling, which DK Customs has helped tremendously with the lift brackets. Again these were engineered to improve the ride, not eliminate scraping.

I just installed the Vance & Hines FLRT mufflers and I love the look and sound. Half the price of the Kuryakyn bolt-ons. Understand, I do not put on fairings, windshields, speakers, phone chargers, Hello Kitty foot pegs, etc. My car has all that. I am pretty old school when it comes to my Wind Therapy. Not that there is anything wrong with personal or physical customization. It's part of the journey and I enjoy reading all the posts of what my fellow trike folks are doing. We are all different when it comes to personalizing our toys. I respect that 100%.

I am that guy who would rather spend his "mad money" on performance. Not HOT ROD racing stuff, just efficiency and smoothness of the engine. Getting rid of this 'out-of-factory' leanness was my first step.

My FREE is currently in the hands of some very wise and talented engine technicians for the rest of this week. I'm having a few surprise tweaks done to the ol' V-Twin 103. Next week I will reveal the outcome with photos and hopefully video. Stay tuned and I will share with you all.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png