losing a rear wheel

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
In northern Ohio on this past Saturday a 2012 trike lost a rear wheel causing it to turn and ride into the concrete barrier turning over and killing the rider. Now i heard someone on here that lost a rear wheel awhile back,is this something that happens from time to time on a Tri Glide.Of course there is no way to know if he or someone else had taken the wheels off recently for service work so there are questions that remain.But it made me go out and check the torque on my wheels,and all was good.On aluminum car wheels it says to retorque after a 100 miles so i am assuming its the same on Tri Glide wheels.At least that is the procedure that i have always followed,I didnt know the gentleman but i hate to hear that.

Sad, and so unnecessary.

Yes, it is in the HD Trike manuals to re-torque the lug nuts after 100 miles. I do mine after 50, and then again after another 50. I have NO desire to have a wheel let loose.

There is a member on this forum, keystone, that lost a rear tire. If I recall correctly, it was after the dealership had worked on it. He was ok, but much damage to the Tri Glide.

Kevin

Reactions: MDO
In northern Ohio on this past Saturday a 2012 trike lost a rear wheel causing it to turn and ride into the concrete barrier turning over and killing the rider.Now i heard someone on here that lost a rear wheel awhile back,is this something that happens from time to time on a Tri Glide.Of course there is no way to know if he or someone else had taken the wheels off recently for service work so there are questions that remain.But it made me go out and check the torque on my wheels,and all was good.On aluminum car wheels it says to retorque after a 100 miles so i am assuming its the same on Tri Glide wheels.At least that is the procedure that i have always followed,I didnt know the gentleman but i hate to hear that.

:(......

Very saddened to hear about the tragedy. I had ours off time to check again third time for me. Prayers for the victim's family. Fred/Jeanne

It is truly sad for anyone to loose life over something that is within our control. Even if you have never touched a wrench in your life, there are any number of places that will check torque on lugs for free or a minimal fee.

I read an article about the need to torque and re torque lugs on aluminum wheels .. I can't remember all the scientific reasons, but, it was convincing as to the need to do it. It has something to do with the two metals, aluminum (wheels) and steel (lug nuts and threads) heating and cooling at different rates. When to re torque in the articles opinion was not so much a matter of miles, as it is a matter of heat cycles (wheels heating up and cooling off due to use. The article also said it was necessary to re torque all wheels, but the aluminum ones are especially prone to coming loose if not re torqued after several heat cycles.

I would be curious as to : was it, just the wheel came off (loose lugs), or did the the bearing fail, & assembly broke off. Either way it is a sad thing. My friend had that happen on his car. Front wheel Broke off (hub still attached) just as we were getting on the Interstate.

I would be curious as to : was it, just the wheel came off (loose lugs), or did the the bearing fail, & assembly broke off. Either way it is a sad thing.

Never thought about that ... I had a Toyota Celica when I was a pup in the Navy ... I used to drive it from Bainbridge Maryland to Abington, Massachusetts every weekend while in Nuclear power school (yea ... a girl was involved .. :D) and on one such trip, about 60 miles from Abington at 60 mph, the right front wheel bearing seized. That was exciting, almost rolled the car. I can see where being on a trike would make that sooooo much more dangerous.

Heading out for a 1,500 + mile road trip tomorrow. You bet I checked the lug nut torque. Thanks for reminding me.
icon14.png

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png