When is a Good Time to Update Trade in your

Update Trade Your Trike to a Newer One before the Value goes down, is mileage on the trike or WHAT???, i'll have 45,000 miles on my bike soon, should I trade it in or Not on a newer one say 3-4 yrs,, I want to get the most out of it ..... Thanks for Any Replys..... Paul

2010 TRI 29,000 miles, personnelized, upgrades. It's take a hit now or later. Traded a 99 RK motor trike kit with 120,000 on speedo for Tri for 16,000 dollars difference, my dealer had a place to go for 17,000. am going to ride this one out.

Rog you will reach a point (miles) where it's better to sell it on your on and not trade it in. On a car/truck (bike/trike??) once you reach 100,000 you need to keep it and drive it, not much difference in 100,000 and 150,000 or more in what you get in a trade.
bullet not sure what you are saying??

I have never come out good on a trade in, only way I would do a trade in is if I can't sell it on my own. But if you want to upgrade, I would do it before it gets a bunch more miles on it. Personally, I would never buy a trike/bike:GL1800::GL1800: with 50K miles on it. Good luck with your decision.

Had good luck selling my old trike on Cycle Trader. Bought it used and got more than I paid for it, although it did have $$$ in upgrades and maintenance, so call it money well worth the sheer joy of riding.

Some people spend a bundle on dining out, fancy cars, boats, and other stuff. A trike is not an investment, it's the price of living a full life and loving the open road.

As for mileage, I once bought a Honda bike with 120K on it and rode it another 60K miles before upgrading. It's all about regular maintenance (either you or a good mechanic), what accessories you've added that make you feel good, and your personal preferences. I can now afford to have a real touring bike with a comfortable seat and lots of creature comforts, so will pay extra for that.

When I see a more luxurious touring trike than I have now, I'll probably buy it. I know I'll get more pleasure from riding than leaving a few dollars to my kids someday.

Had good luck selling my old trike on Cycle Trader. Bought it used and got more than I paid for it, although it did have $$$ in upgrades and maintenance, so call it money well worth the sheer joy of riding.

Some people spend a bundle on dining out, fancy cars, boats, and other stuff. A trike is not an investment, it's the price of living a full life and loving the open road.

As for mileage, I once bought a Honda bike with 120K on it and rode it another 60K miles before upgrading. It's all about regular maintenance (either you or a good mechanic), what accessories you've added that make you feel good, and your personal preferences. I can now afford to have a real touring bike with a comfortable seat and lots of creature comforts, so will pay extra for that.

When I see a more luxurious touring trike than I have now, I'll probably buy it. I know I'll get more pleasure from riding than leaving a few dollars to my kids someday.

Congrats on doing good on the sale. I agree with you on many points you made. As far as the mileage a bike can get, from my experience- hondas can get 100K plus dependably(ESPECIALLY THE 1500/A1800 horizontally opposed motors), but v twin based HD, Yamaha etc- you are looking at some serious maintenance at 50-60K. 100K on a v-twin without major rebuilding is rare, IMO.

Congrats on doing good on the sale. I agree with you on many points you made. As far as the mileage a bike can get, from my experience- hondas can get 100K plus dependably(ESPECIALLY THE 1500/A1800 horizontally opposed motors), but v twin based HD, Yamaha etc- you are looking at some serious maintenance at 50-60K. 100K on a v-twin without major rebuilding is rare, IMO.

Not so on the victory 106 ci freedom vtwin, many out there with well over 100k on t hen, untouched sceptic oil filter. And plugs
I would agree with you on the HD's especially the newer ones with the wobbly crank in them

:)

Response to Americanbadass. You are absolutely point on right. Not all bikes are good for the long haul. I've had several that were more trouble than they were worth and got rid of them. Don't know if it's the model year, the make, or the engine design. (I'm only an amateur when it comes to mechanical stuff).

I do know that I've had really good luck with Suzuki and Honda, with regular oil changes, etc.) and no matter what others say about the rice burners, they seem to hold up pretty well. By the way, I'm riding a BMW LT now (go figure). It's really comfortable on the long road trips.

IMHO the Victory is likely the best made American bike today and I've read that you can get a trike conversion on it. (Don't know if I'd personally want a huge 2 cylinder though, but then again I'm no expert).

Serious maintenance on HD V-twins at 50-60K, is that your experience? I traded my 97 Road King with 88,000 miles for my 2007 Street Glide which at 35,000 miles was converted to a CSC Trike. I've just turned 55,000 miles, runs great and looks like new. No major maintenance planned. V-Twins are engineered to be 200,000 mile engines, just have to take care of them. I don't ride as much as I used to but I think 10,000 a year is respectable. Ride Safe!!

Serious maintenance on HD V-twins at 50-60K, is that your experience? I traded my 97 Road King with 88,000 miles for my 2007 Street Glide which at 35,000 miles was converted to a CSC Trike. I've just turned 55,000 miles, runs great and looks like new. No major maintenance planned. V-Twins are engineered to be 200,000 mile engines, just have to take care of them. I don't ride as much as I used to but I think 10,000 a year is respectable. Ride Safe!!

Been riding HD for the beter part of 30 years, and you are the first person I have heard of that did not need at least a valve job and top end build before 100K. Maybe we should put this topic up for debate, because I want to meet and shake hands with anybody getting 200K out of an HD motor.

Been riding HD for the beter part of 30 years, and you are the first person I have heard of that did not need at least a valve job and top end build before 100K. Maybe we should put this topic up for debate, because I want to meet and shake hands with anybody getting 200K out of an HD motor.

Your right, I've not heard of or seen many 100k Harley's without top end work. With some of the changes they made on the 2011 MY engines I'm wondering how well they will fair over the long haul.

Update Trade Your Trike to a Newer One before the Value goes down, is mileage on the trike or WHAT???, i'll have 45,000 miles on my bike soon, should I trade it in or Not on a newer one say 3-4 yrs,, I want to get the most out of it ..... Thanks for Any Replys..... Paul

I would think if you want top dollar trade now, better yet sell and purchase a new one. Don't over look the tax savings on trading, that can be quite a bit.

I have never come out good on a trade in, only way I would do a trade in is if I can't sell it on my own. But if you want to upgrade, I would do it before it gets a bunch more miles on it. Personally, I would never buy a trike/bike:GL1800::GL1800: with 50K miles on it. Good luck with your decision.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Honda with 50K. An HD not so much.

If you are buying a Goldwing , you are pretty much buying for the long haul. Selling it under 100,000 miles is a waste of money. Also since the wing only changes every 10 years, (1976- 1983... 1984-1989... 1990-2000....2001-2011 ) I do not see the point. I you are having issues with it then maybe worth,$10,000 to trade up... Call me <:laugh:> pepper

If you are buying a Goldwing , you are pretty much buying for the long haul. Selling it under 100,000 miles is a waste of money. Also since the wing only changes every 10 years, (1976- 1983... 1984-1989... 1990-2000....2001-2011 ) I do not see the point. I you are having issues with it then maybe worth,$10,000 to trade up... Call me <:laugh:> pepper

Ditto!

He could have been mistaken, Yamaha road star 1700 will do 200000. miles

:Agree: Barring anything goofy happening I plan on riding the snot out of my 2012 GL1800 for many years to come, one of the reasons I plan on triking it.

You can add the Yamaha Royal Star Venture's to the short list that can and do keep going well over the century mark. Those V-4 engines run almost as smooth as the Honda Wings do and with water cooling , shaft drive will keep going much like that Energizer bunny does. pepper
Larry

As of a year ago this October, we have a 2004 GL1800. bought it with about 24000 mile on it, wings can go 100,000 easily, and with good maintenance 200,000 and more is not uncommon. As we are both around 60, and are planning on at least another 20 good years of riding, so barring great changes this will most likely be our last trike.

I have had the 1990 Harley FLHS since 1993, I have had do do 3 top ends and at about 90,000 miles I had the engine rebuilt through the Harley Davidson remanufacturing program. Basically a brand new stock EVO engine with the latest upgrades available as of the reman date, 3 years ago. The design of the air cooled V-Twin just lends itself to wearing out faster than a water-cooled power plant with more cylinders. The flip side to that is a HD V-twin is simpler, therefore much easier and cheaper to rebuild than, say, a Goldwing mill. I can do a parts-swap (excluding the machining) top end on my Harley in less time it takes to change the air filter on the 1800 Goldwing

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png