5000 mile ck.

Oct 22, 2012
Marietta Ga.
I called today to see how much and how long would it take to do a 5000 mi ck with syn 3 oil, was told $550 and they would not be able to get to it until 1 Oct, 12 days.

I told them to forget it that I would do it myself for about a $100 and a six pack.

I sometimes think these lcl. clowns :qpnmt: think that they are working on Lamborghinis then a two cly. eng. that's been around for over a 110 years, this is my 1st new Harley, I guess it was on my bucket list? but if I had it to do over again, I would have picked a diff. bike, maybe a Triumph classic Bonneville, please don't get me wrong, I like the idea of buying an American made motorcycle [what parts are made in the US] but it seems to me that Harley has went way over it's head and can not handle what it has sold [piss poor planning] they have sold more M/C then they can support, I really think it's going to come back and bite them, [I hope so].....their is no auto. dealer that could survive with this mindset......OK, I feel better now ;).

I called today to see how much and how long would it take to do a 5000 mi ck with syn 3 oil, was told $550 and they would not be able to get to it until 1 Oct, 12 days.

I told them to forget it that I would do it myself for about a $100 and a six pack.

I sometimes think these lcl. clowns :qpnmt: think that they are working on Lamborghinis then a two cly. eng. that's been around for over a 110 years, this is my 1st new Harley, I guess it was on my bucket list? but if I had it to do over again, I would have picked a diff. bike, maybe a Triumph classic Bonneville, please don't get me wrong, I like the idea of buying an American made motorcycle [what parts are made in the US] but it seems to me that Harley has went way over it's head and can not handle what it has sold [piss poor planning] they have sold more M/C then they can support, I really think it's going to come back and bite them, [I hope so].....their is no auto. dealer that could survive with this mindset......OK, I feel better now ;).

I feel your pain, I do all my own maintenance for the same reason.

Wow.... Taking mine to Hideout Harley in Joplin MO tomorrow... was told around $250. Glad to pay that since I trust these guys. Their service mgr Chris is OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Took mine in for its 5k service and told them not to change fluids because I did that myself. Picked up my trike the next day cost me a grand total of $138.00

They play the game...
Honda is as bad
They work on a lot of motorcycles owned by doctors , lawyers , etc.( more Harley than Wings ) they have the money, they don't have the mechanical knowledge, and they do not want to dirty their hands. They pay. So that sets the standard for the $95.00 an hour. IMHO

They play the game...
Honda is as bad
They work on a lot of motorcycles owned by doctors , lawyers , etc.( more Harley than Wings ) they have the money, they don't have the mechanical knowledge, and they do not want to dirty their hands. They pay. So that sets the standard for the $95.00 an hour. IMHO

Try $110.00 per hour here in sunny Ca.....totally out of hand....:kpzxvq:

One of the reasons I do my own work, got tired of paying through the nose for what I later found out is slip shod work. A good many of these dealers charge bit bucks for a service and their tech's don't even do everything on the list.

Free services are done (1K and 2.5K in my case). From here on out I will do my own oil changes. I've bought the Tour Model Service Manual and Trike Parts supplement. They will only see it for warranty repairs. I'll keep all my receipts and document my service dates and mileage. I used to work for a HD/AMF Dealer in the early /mid 70s.

Bob :Dorag:

Free services are done (1K and 2.5K in my case). From here on out I will do my own oil changes. I've bought the Tour Model Service Manual and Trike Parts supplement. They will only see it for warranty repairs. I'll keep all my receipts and document my service dates and mileage. I used to work for a HD/AMF Dealer in the early /mid 70s.

Bob :Dorag:

I also purchased the Tour Service Manual, and the Trike Supplement, haven't open them yet, does the Trike Supplement also contains the parts break down.

I'm first time Harley Owner, I asked dealer about 1000 mile service, I said I want different fluids then what Harley puts in the Trike, his reply, that will void your warranty if you have a problem and Harley request a fluid sample. They charge $285.00 for the 1000 mile and add $30.00 for synthetic. I've been going back and forth trying to decide if I'm going to do the maintenance on my bike or let dealer do it. I'm a Truck Mechanic for over 30 yrs. I have a total of 5yr warranty on Trike, including Tires.

My thinking is Harley Mechanics know what to look for, it's new to me(the motorcycle thing) over the years as a truck mechanic I know what and where to look for problems,but that came with time. Learning the little things about a trike also takes time, and I'm worried about having a unsafe condition I don't pick up on because of a learning curve.

I also purchased the Tour Service Manual, and the Trike Supplement, haven't open them yet, does the Trike Supplement also contains the parts break down.
I'm first time Harley Owner, I asked dealer about 1000 mile service, I said I want different fluids then what Harley puts in the Trike, his reply, that will void your warranty if you have a problem and Harley request a fluid sample. They charge $285.00 for the 1000 mile and add $30.00 for synthetic. I've been going back and forth trying to decide if I'm going to do the maintenance on my bike or let dealer do it. I'm a Truck Mechanic for over 30 yrs. I have a total of 5yr warranty on Trike, including Tires. My thinking is Harley Mechanics know what to look for, it's new to me(the motorcycle thing) over the years as a truck mechanic I know what and where to look for problems,but that came with time. Learning the little things about a trike also takes time, and I'm worried about having a unsafe condition I don't pick up on because of a learning curve.

You need to find a different dealer. As long as the fluids you use meet the stated requirements from the manual, use any brand you like and use any shop or yourself to do the work. They can NOT void your warrantee. It is against the law. I hate when they use these scare tactic to make the person use their shop.

You need to find a different dealer. As long as the fluids you use meet the stated requirements from the manual, use any brand you like and use any shop or yourself to do the work. They can NOT void your warrantee. It is against the law. I hate when they use these scare tactic to make the person use their shop.

:Agree: Dealer who try the scare tactic should be shutdown, they're just trying to fleece the customer.

I know I shouldn't be, but I am amazed-- and saddened-- by the posts about various dealers. As I said in an earlier post, my dealer is outstanding! Hideout Harley in Joplin does a great job. And Chris, the service manager, is the best. I drive by a dealer 25 miles from my house and travel 75 miles to get there, and will continue to do so. Thanks, Hideout!

I know I shouldn't be, but I am amazed-- and saddened-- by the posts about various dealers. As I said in an earlier post, my dealer is outstanding! Hideout Harley in Joplin does a great job. And Chris, the service manager, is the best. I drive by a dealer 25 miles from my house and travel 75 miles to get there, and will continue to do so. Thanks, Hideout!

I hear you, really good dealers are few and far between. One also has to hold their breath and hope the dealer doesn't come under new ownership. The dealer where I bought 4 new bikes and my dad bought 4 from, used to be outstanding. The original owner had to sell, the new owner started grabbing for every dollar he could get from the customer base. He lost some key people which impacted the quality of service, the new owner is arrogant and the replacement service manager doesn't know one end of a muffler from the other.

I bought a 3 yr. service plan for $1,300 with no deductible. Cost per service
( Zero ) :pepper:

yep same here in Salem OR. I wasnt going buy the service contract because i do my own. But i thought what hell and did it. Unlimited mileage. Go for it. First service cost was $350.00. For me NADA.:) But I have check but I am thinking it might be for their shop only.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png