Can I use CarPlay to use Waze navigation app

Wireless Adapter

No, not natively. But there are some 'adapters' that purport to support wireless / bluetooth Car Play that will work with the Harley Boom Box. I've not tried them.

I installed the CarPlay2 Air Adapter for wireless Car Play and it works fine. I also have the WHIM Installed on my '22 Tri Glide.

With my iPhone 13, I experienced excessive phone battery drain and phone getting pretty warm while using the WAZE App. The remedy to the problem was to go to the iPhone settings and select LTE mode instead of 5G. It made a big difference on battery life and the phone is not getting hot as it was with 5G enabled. I ride with the iphone in my shirt pocket unless I'm on an extended road trip which I'll just plug it in to a charge cable and mount the phone on my handlebar mount.

Alternative to Boom Head units

I just installed a Soundstream Reserve HDHU 14si to get Android Auto on my 2018 TG. It is also supposed to be Car Play compatible but since I don't use apple I don't know of it's issues. Audio quality improvements over the GT were worth the cost alone plus the added AA. It does not support WHIM or CB, but a non issue for me. It is about half the cost of upgrading to GTS and a way better radio.

I just installed a Soundstream Reserve HDHU 14si to get Android Auto on my 2018 TG. It is also supposed to be Car Play compatible but since I don't use apple I don't know of it's issues. Audio quality improvements over the GT were worth the cost alone plus the added AA. It does not support WHIM or CB, but a non issue for me. It is about half the cost of upgrading to GTS and a way better radio.

They look like a great option but I hear they do not support aftermarket tuners yet. Do you have any experience with that?

They look like a great option but I hear they do not support aftermarket tuners yet. Do you have any experience with that?

I'm not sure what you mean by aftermarket tuner? They have AM and FM built in and support add on Siriusxm. I've only had it about a week, so I'm still learning things about it. It does support aftermarket amplifiers and speakers.

I'm not sure what you mean by aftermarket tuner? They have AM and FM built in and support add on Siriusxm. I've only had it about a week, so I'm still learning things about it. It does support aftermarket amplifiers and speakers.

The HDHU.14si has gauges that can show the ODBII data read from the ECU. I’m hearing they have problems with an engine tuner, like PowerVision, Thundermax, FP3, etc. Apparently the engine tuner and gauges in the head unit compete for the ODBII signal. I have a FP3 and was hoping to get the gauges in the head unit to show things I now monitor with my phone using the Vance & Hines app. I’d like to be able to get my phone in my pocket where it belongs rather than tethered onto the handlebars.

i hope that makes sense.

kinda ol school here just have my tunes on the iphone & pair it to the radio with bluetooth

The HDHU.14si has gauges that can show the ODBII data read from the ECU. I’m hearing they have problems with an engine tuner, like PowerVision, Thundermax, FP3, etc. Apparently the engine tuner and gauges in the head unit compete for the ODBII signal. I have a FP3 and was hoping to get the gauges in the head unit to show things I now monitor with my phone using the Vance & Hines app. I’d like to be able to get my phone in my pocket where it belongs rather than tethered onto the handlebars.

i hope that makes sense.

There is a setting in the idata module used to support the gauge function and others that sets the radio to only use the obd2 signal when you are actually looking at them. I suggest contacting Jay at volaudio.com

He know way more about these units and can answer your questions. Volunteer Audio YouTube channel is also a great source of information. HTH

There is a setting in the idata module used to support the gauge function and others that sets the radio to only use the obd2 signal when you are actually looking at them. I suggest contacting Jay at volaudio.com

He know way more about these units and can answer your questions. Volunteer Audio YouTube channel is also a great source of information. HTH

I talked to Volunteer Audio yesterday. They are a great resource for info on the Sound Stream head unit. The setting you mention for idata to use the odbii signal on demand is now the default. I can get around the FP3 and idata module competing for the signal by simply unplugging the FP3. I don’t need for it to be plugged in if the head unit displays the gauges. I’ll plug it in again if I ever need to do an autotune or reflash the ECM.

So there is a new Sound Stream HDHU.14si on the road to me. The features look impressive compared to my 6.5 GT unit. Having Carplay will be a real bonus too.

I talked to Volunteer Audio yesterday. They are a great resource for info on the Sound Stream head unit. The setting you mention for idata to use the odbii signal on demand is now the default. I can get around the FP3 and idata module competing for the signal by simply unplugging the FP3. I don’t need for it to be plugged in if the head unit displays the gauges. I’ll plug it in again if I ever need to do an autotune or reflash the ECM.

So there is a new Sound Stream HDHU.14si on the road to me. The features look impressive compared to my 6.5 GT unit. Having Carplay will be a real bonus too.

Awesome.😁

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1ULUV2HATE

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1ULUV2HATE
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png