Yet another problem with my CSC Daytona

Jun 1, 2012
Kingwood, Texas
Brought it home last Friday after the carrier bearing, shock and shock spring were replaced. Rode great. Saturday on a group ride I slowed and downshifted to make a right turn. When I got around the corner, straightened out and accelerated a terrible racket like a series of thunks broke out at about 25 mph or so and the front end started shaking so bad I thought the handlebars would come out of my hands. Every time I would try to take off the same thing happened. Finally I was able to start off real slow and up shift okay. Rode it home about 50 miles. Put it on the lift and changed tranny fluid to check for metal and the fluid was clean. Opened the primary and all was okay. Jacked it up and pulled the wheels to look around.

Found it. One of the tension adjustment bolts had come out letting the belt slip. Took the conversion shop about 2 hours to fix it. He can't figure out how the nut came off the bolt.

Man-o-man, I'm so sorry you're having such problems. I hope it doesn't sour you on the trike. Hopefully you're done with problems...

... He can't figure out how the nut came off the bolt.

Did you happen to notice if there had been any fresh thread locker on it from the last time it was worked on?
Also, are they or did they replace the belt and check the pulleys. I would think the belt had some life taken out of it or had some damage from your description of what happened.

Could have been a fluke with horrible timing, could have been improper torque/locking agent application. If you have a reputable shop/installer and this sort of thing happens, it's usually a "fluke".. Since you had 2 issues so closely together, did they go over the rest of the conversion for you to ensure nothing may have been overlooked?

I think it was a fluke. I've not heard of another CSC with these problems. And it went back with so much Loctite the mechanic said he's not looking forward to having to adjust the belt tension again in 10K or so. :laugh: He thoroughly inspected the belt as did my son and I. The shop was a CSC shop of the year a couple of times in the last few years and when I spoke to CSC on another unrelated matter recently the fellow I spoke with spoke highly of this shop. If I were to have another conversion in the future it would probably be another CSC done by this shop. Stuff happens and you take care of it.

I think it was a fluke. I've not heard of another CSC with these problems. And it went back with so much Loctite the mechanic said he's not looking forward to having to adjust the belt tension again in 10K or so. :laugh: He thoroughly inspected the belt as did my son and I. The shop was a CSC shop of the year a couple of times in the last few years and when I spoke to CSC on another unrelated matter recently the fellow I spoke with spoke highly of this shop. If I were to have another conversion in the future it would probably be another CSC done by this shop. Stuff happens and you take care of it.

Good attitude.

I would say a fluke because there's thousands of these kits riding around and that's the first time I've ever heard of it happening. As 92fxsts noted, there is a standardized adjustment procedure that prevents this from happening. Maybe your guy had an off-day when he did the shock install?

I'd like to add, if I made a thread every time I had a problem with my mower or Mustang or motorcycle no one would ever buy a Ford, John Deere or Suzuki again.

I'd like to add, if I made a thread every time I had a problem with my mower or Mustang or motorcycle no one would ever buy a Ford, John Deere or Suzuki again.

I agree, love my Mustang, but had to have the fuel GuageMods sensor in the tank replaced, the weather strip on the convertible top and just had to have the rear window defogger fixed, twice! But I love her just the same...just took the John Deer mower to the shop today, getting to much fuel...but I like it too...and don't get me started on all the Harleys I've owned....but love them too....guess we're suckers for a pretty face, right? ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png