2020 Triglide spongy front brake fix

Mar 4, 2022
RUIDOSO
I have a 2020 Triglide with 8600 miles and my front brake lever was going all the way down to the grip. The brake lever would pump up, but would go all the way down after sitting overnight. I saw a video where a guy showed pumping up the brake then pulling in in as far as you can then clamping the lever down overnight with pressure kept on the brake system. He explained that brake fluid won't compress but air will. Keeping pressure on the system will force any air to migrate out of the lines. I will be the first to admit that sounds too easy, but in my case it worked perfect. The brakes are just like when I first bought the bike. I don't know why air got into the brake but this seems to have solved the problem. I hope this might help someone having the same problem. Hey it doesn't cost anything to try.

I have a 2020 Triglide with 8600 miles and my front brake lever was going all the way down to the grip. The brake lever would pump up, but would go all the way down after sitting overnight. I saw a video where a guy showed pumping up the brake then pulling in in as far as you can then clamping the lever down overnight with pressure kept on the brake system. He explained that brake fluid won't compress but air will. Keeping pressure on the system will force any air to migrate out of the lines. I will be the first to admit that sounds too easy, but in my case it worked perfect. The brakes are just like when I first bought the bike. I don't know why air got into the brake but this seems to have solved the problem. I hope this might help someone having the same problem. Hey it doesn't cost anything to try.

How does the air get released from a "closed" system ??? seems like some valve would have to be opened.

Now would be a good time to suck out the fluid from the master cylinder and with a Q tip wipe out any residue. Top off master and bleed the front brakes.

As brake fluid ages it collects moisture, also after many heat cycles gasses form and can produce air bubbles. Brakes fluid IMO should be changed every 2 years no matter the miles JMO

The clamping of the lever is a good way of getting air out, I have used this method for years with good results. Good luck and stay informed

Welcome to Trike Talk

So Jack how does clamping the lever bleed air from the system? I'm thinking it would let any air in the system rise up into the master cylinder. Is that correct. And can you do the same thing with the clutch and rear brake? Not needing to do so but like to know about these things. Thanks.

Yup its an old trick. But temporary. Bleeding is the only way to get the air out. I would clamp my '14 Dyna brake lever- until the dealer replaced the HCU reluctantly after I threatened to never buy another bike from them.

So Jack how does clamping the lever bleed air from the system? I'm thinking it would let any air in the system rise up into the master cylinder. Is that correct. And can you do the same thing with the clutch and rear brake? Not needing to do so but like to know about these things. Thanks.

The air bubbles in theory will rise to the top since the compensating port is open, so when you do release the clamping you should be able to get all the air out when you bleed

Yes you can do the same with your clutch and rear brakes, BUT with ABS brakes be careful;)

The air bubbles in theory will rise to the top since the compensating port is open, so when you do release the clamping you should be able to get all the air out when you bleed

Yes you can do the same with your clutch and rear brakes, BUT with ABS brakes be careful;)

I learned from a tech seminar at my local dealer where the tech did a flush that the ABS pump cycle is done after the flush is done. So I'm thinking one could flush the system and take it to the dealer for them to just do the ABS pump activation. During the ABS pump activation it instructs him to pump the brake lever (or brake pedal for the rear) like 60 or 70 times while it energizes the pump. That's it. Whatever fluid was in the ABS pump is just distributed into the new fresh fluid in the system. Tech said it would be a very small amount.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png