Helmet types?

520fd

550+ Posts
Aug 9, 2010
Davenport, Iowa USA
I would like to ask what types of helmets does everyone wear or recommend? I have been using a Half helmet for many years. The wind noise is starting to get to me. I was thinking on 3/4 helmet. Easier to install Com units in.

Florida is the opposite of northern states. Summer is sometimes too hot to ride. Worse, the tropical sun makes it almost dangerous and there is no shade on the streets. So I usually use a WHITE half helmet or none at all. When going 'up north' I usually pack a full face because that's best for rain.

I wear a half helmet when I have to which is not to often, this state doesn't have a helmet law, so I don't wear one, now going to Nebraska which has been many years ago, I had to buy a helmet to wear, since then no helmet going to Minn and over to Sturgis.

All for now Trampas

P.S. ear plugs would work if you get the good ones that will stay in on a half helmet, just a thought

I would like to ask what types of helmets does everyone wear or recommend? I have been using a Half helmet for many years. The wind noise is starting to get to me. I was thinking on 3/4 helmet. Easier to install Com units in.

Modular, with drop down sunsheild. I can wear the facesheild up until about 50mph. It wants to drop down due to turbulence above that. I tried using ear plugs to cut down on wind noise but I can't hear audio as well, therfore having to crank it up. So, it's better to suffer with the wind noise. On the open road, the fullface position is good for rain and low temps as well as sunblock.

The best protection is a fixed full face helmet with a modular (flip up) being a close second. For many years I wore a 3/4 but changed to an HJC modular several years ago. I know some will say that they are too hot in hot weather but I just do not have a problem. When it's hot, it's hot and i honestly don't think the helmet makes all that much difference comfort wise. Just my opinion.

As for wind, road and vehicle noise I wear ear plugs and wish I'd starting doing so many years ago. Perhaps my hearing loss would be less. I have custom made 'musician' type earplugs which have a removable filter. You can get different decibel level filters. So the filter keeps out loud noises but lets other audio pass through. i can truthfully say that I can hear the intercom, CB, and music better with my earplugs in. They can be purchased from most any hearing aid provider and there are some internet based vendors.

Here is one: http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-motorcycle-ear-plugs.html

Reactions: GRR
If I expect rain or cold while on the trike or if a several days ride up on the BRP ...

... either a full face or at least a modular with clear shield.

I will maybe wear a 3/4 if a shorter ride and warmer more predictable weather. I like my 3/4 with flip shield and internal shaded drop down, but I still wear Serengheti Drivers on my face.

I also use either one with mic wrapped in plastic when blowing snow.

On bike, it's always a full face.

Attachments

• 0215161406  (500x375).jpg
    0215161406 (500x375).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 284
The best protection is a fixed full face helmet with a modular (flip up) being a close second. For many years I wore a 3/4 but changed to an HJC modular several years ago. I know some will say that they are too hot in hot weather but I just do not have a problem. When it's hot, it's hot and i honestly don't think the helmet makes all that much difference comfort wise. Just my opinion.

As for wind, road and vehicle noise I wear ear plugs and wish I'd starting doing so many years ago. Perhaps my hearing loss would be less. I have custom made 'musician' type earplugs which have a removable filter. You can get different decibel level filters. So the filter keeps out loud noises but lets other audio pass through. i can truthfully say that I can hear the intercom, CB, and music better with my earplugs in. They can be purchased from most any hearing aid provider and there are some internet based vendors.

Here is one: http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-motorcycle-ear-plugs.html

Holy cow!! Those are the most expensive ear plugs I've ever seen! :xzqxz:

Scorpion EXO-C110 , Have two, one with speaker system (boom) and one without. The sun visor is the only thing I hate, it’s not big enough.

Holy cow!! Those are the most expensive ear plugs I've ever seen! :xzqxz:

That they are . . . but sometimes you do get what you pay for. I have hearing aids and got my motorcycle ear plugs from my audiologist who fitted my hearing aids. The are the Westone defendears I think as they look similar to those on the website. I have had them several years and they work great. Much, much better then any off the shelf ear plugs I have used. As I stated in my original post I can actually hear what I want to hear better with the ear plugs in my ears as they block the loud wind, road, exhaust noise.

Hearing aids cost several thousand dollars. 130 bucks on protection doesn't seem like so much. Kinda like going to the dentist-I spend maybe 300 bucks a year on maintenance. A crown or major repair costs much more and hurts like heck.

So back to the question.....I pack both a 1/2 and a modular for all the obvious reasons. 1/2 dull white with a drop down dark shield for when I have to wear one. The Modular for foul weather including below 40 degrees. I've found I can pack the inside of the modular with a ton of the smaller stuff I carry in the lower trunk. Net result is very little extra space taken. If no helmet is needed I can hang the 1/2 on top of the Tour pack / almost anywhere.

For the last year a 3/4 Nolan. Helmet buying time is hard for me, my head is otherworldly huge. I'm rocking an XX now but it's tight. Hoping it loosens up over time, and keeping my hair short.

For the last year a 3/4 Nolan. Helmet buying time is hard for me, my head is otherworldly huge. I'm rocking an XX now but it's tight. Hoping it loosens up over time, and keeping my hair short.

Have a buddy with the same issue - These did the trick for him:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Big-Size-Helmets

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/extra-large-motorcycle-helmets.htm

Hope it helps....Maybe let the "freak Flag Fly".....hoping you get the old music reference.....jc

Beanie helmet for summer in Illinois and a 3/4 with balaclava for the cooler weather.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png