Where is your wire harness, switch and dual controller mounted?

Feb 11, 2012
Dickson, TN
Where is your wire harness, switch and dual controller mounted?

I broke down and bought a jacket liner and gloves for heated gear. Finally...got the wire harness on with the fuse, etc, but the delima is where to mount the on/off switch connected to the dual source thermostat.

Should I allow it to hang under the air deflector, or out from the front of the seat lying on the dash. that way is alow of switch to have flopping all over the tank.

Ideas, pics, advice!!

Re: Where is your wire harness, switch and dual controller mounted?

HD/Gerbing and do I really need that switch, looks like it plus straight into the connector harness and then the jacket....I have the dual source controller thermostat, so can I not include the switch, if it has to be included, I can't figure out how it fits in this line of wires.

The thermostat take place of the switch..They give that to you to turn it on and off as needed..But the thermostat should do just fine..

The thermostat take place of the switch..They give that to you to turn it on and off as needed..But the thermostat should do just fine..

Sounds good, I got it all installed, just 40 degrees is a little too cold for me without the heated pants.

Food for thought. Here's how I hook up my Gerbings heated gear and battery tender. I just clip the controller to my jacket or pocket.

IMG_0200A.jpg

IMG_0202A.jpg

Food for thought. Here's how I hook up my Gerbings heated gear and battery tender. I just clip the controller to my jacket or pocket.

IMG_0200A.jpg

IMG_0202A.jpg
Going to install my port this way looks like a clean look and easy to plug in..

Just a thought here.
IF you are thinking of ever installing the HD adjustable backrest the back of this plug may interfer with the adjuster toggle for the back rest which mounts behind the left side heat shield.
You might want to mount this plug on the right side .
And if you do install the back rest you may want to install the adjuster toggle in the shield where the plug is shown now instead of behind it. Screwball did this with the toggle and it looked pretty good.

Just a thought here.
IF you are thinking of ever installing the HD adjustable backrest the back of this plug may interfer with the adjuster toggle for the back rest which mounts behind the left side heat shield.
You might want to mount this plug on the right side .
And if you do install the back rest you may want to install the adjuster toggle in the shield where the plug is shown now instead of behind it. Screwball did this with the toggle and it looked pretty good.
Thanks for the heads up!! considering how many times I readjust my backrest I am fine with it behind the heat sheild.. Pretty much set and go..never really touched since it was installed..

Service tech mounted my pigtail for battery tender/heated gear so it's at the top of my seat. I have tank bra installed, the heat controller clips onto that for easy up/down heat. I had the heated jacket liner and gloves and finally broke down and ordered the heated pant liner from HD. Save your pennies Skeet and get the pants!

If you get the full set of heated gear, it really opens up a whole new season of riding. Rode with friend of mine a couple of years ago that had the heated jacket, gloves and pants while I only had the jacket liner and gloves. I think it took about 4 hours for my knees to thaw out after the 2 hour, barely over 20° ride. Ordered the Gerbing pants and they are a life saver. Knees are never cold and most times I don't even turn the pants on because they are so insulated.

One thing to keep in mind if you get the pants or pants liners...the same control dial sets the temperature for both the gloves and pants. If it’s really cold, I’ll want the pants turned up quite a bit, but don’t want or need the gloves that high with heated grips. The only way I can see to do this is have a second single controller for just the pants or gloves, but that would be way too many wires and controllers hanging off me.

There is a dual "remote" that can be mounted to your fairing. This allows you to "hide" the clip-on dual controller inside your jacket and adjust the temperatures with the dials on the mounted piece. Makes it much handier than fumbling trying to find the right dial to turn on the contoller clipped to my vest pocket.

My connector just hangs down on the left side now, but after looking at the pictures with it mounted in the heat shield, I really like that look. Thanks for showing the images!!

Thanks everyone, I've just learned that the switch is not needed with the termastat controller. Also Larry at Captain Itch makes a leather holder for the controller to lay on top of the tank . It has magnets sew inside. If its in view I may not forget to unplug when getting off...

Thanks everyone, I've just learned that the switch is not needed with the termastat controller. Also Larry at Captain Itch makes a leather holder for the controller to lay on top of the tank . It has magnets sew inside. If its in view I may not forget to unplug when getting off...
love to see that holder...

I just bought the pants liner. Now I have the jacket liner, gloves and pants liner. I'm good to go to at least 17* which it was a few weeks ago when we went on our FYAO ride Jan. 1st. After about 60 miles the back of my thighs really got cold. On the way back I put on my chaps and that helped a little. I also bought some fleese lined jeans that everyone told me to buy. Haven't riden with them yet so hoping I can descard the chaps. :)
I also bought the wireless remote controller - boy what a great convienence. I put it in the windshield pouch so it's easier to adjust the temps when needed. The receiver I put in the left side leather saddlebag.
At 40* and above no electrics are needed here in the Chicago area. ThumbUp

I just bought the pants liner. Now I have the jacket liner, gloves and pants liner. I'm good to go to at least 17* which is was a few weeks ago when we went on our FYAO ride Jan. 1st. After about 60 miles the back of my thighs really got cold. On the way back I put on my chaps and that helped a little. I also bought some fleese lined jeans that everyone told me to buy. Haven't riden with them yet so hoping I can descard the chaps. :)
I also bought the wireless remote controller - boy what a great convienence. I put it in the windshield pouch so it's easier to adjust the temps when needed. The receiver I put in the left side leather saddlebag.
At 40* and above no electrics are needed here in the Chicago area. ThumbUp
wireless controller..Who makes that?? I am guessing works on the gerbing clothing?

Trikermutha, where did you find the connector that you used in the heat shield. That is the cleanest setup I have seen for heated gear yet. Nice Job!!

IMG_0200A.jpg

IMG_0202A.jpg
I sent the note to the wrong person, sorry Delta. Where did you get the connector that you installed in the heat shield? Very nice clean setup.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png