How Many Viet Nam Vets Here?

Another thing that bugs me is people looking down on Air Force guys. If it wasn't for us a lot of the grunts wouldn't be here today. We did a lot more than people think.

I for one loved the Air Force Boys, Especially the F105's..ThumbUp
66/67 Nothing like a little close air support to cook Charley's bacon...:xszpv:

I personally support ALL Vet's who serve.......whether we were supposed to be
there or not, that is what we were sent to do and thank goodness - I sure appreciate the good 'ole USA,
Pete, USN 65-69.
:wave4:
Thx..This is good ta hear..Can I ask you what tuner you used and if TTS, was there a suitable map, or did you have to just pick kinda close and fine tune from there??
I have a/c and pipes and NO cat..Hb

I was there from July '69 to Jun '70 US Army with the 101st Airborne stationed at Camp Eagle between Hue and Phu Bai. I was lucky, a Radar O'Riley type of sorts. Things were different then, we weren't looked at as heros but rather the scum of the earth when we got home. I'll never forget after I got home to Buffalo NY I flew down to Philadelphia to be with my Fiance and thought she would like to see me in uniform, so I did just that. When she saw me her look spoke volumes! She tried to recover and asked me why I was in uniform when I was discharged, and asked me If I wanted to change. I don't think she even kissed me right away, and it was obvious she was ashamed to be with me.

It has taken me up to just a couple of years ago to come to grips with all of it, and sure don't feel like any kind of hero. Better men than I didn't get to come home.
As of this year I am now a lifetime member of the VFW and a member of the American Legion as well, but am not active with either. To me it's just a cheap place to get drunk, but hopefully as I do get involved that outlook will change.

I am currently 60% disabled thanks to exposure to agent orange and type 2 diabeties and am trying to be declared 100% as I was sort of forced to retire last fall because of the increased discomfort of periferal neuropathy in both feet and hands.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! What's yours???

Same story but Brown Water Navy as Mine Sweeping BM3 70-71. Da Nang, Cam Rahn Bay and Cua Viet River. Also Agent Orange with 3 related conditions. Bye

Originally Posted by bongobobny View Post
I was there from July '69 to Jun '70 US Army with the 101st Airborne stationed at Camp Eagle between Hue and Phu Bai. I was lucky, a Radar O'Riley type of sorts. Things were different then, we weren't looked at as heros but rather the scum of the earth when we got home. I'll never forget after I got home to Buffalo NY I flew down to Philadelphia to be with my Fiance and thought she would like to see me in uniform, so I did just that. When she saw me her look spoke volumes! She tried to recover and asked me why I was in uniform when I was discharged, and asked me If I wanted to change. I don't think she even kissed me right away, and it was obvious she was ashamed to be with me.

=================================

I had a similar experience while I was stationed in Yorktown, VA for a few months. A few of my buddies and myself were going on liberty and planned to see some of the sights up in DC. We were "advised",, by our CC not to wear our uniforms as too many service men and women were being singled out, picked on, spit at and just getting into fights with the local anti-war folks. Believe it or not, even though we all worn civies, we were still spotted because we all just happened to wear our dress shoes and had short hair. For the most part, our tour of the capital was uneventful while we were inside the buildings, but once out on the street, we had to ignore quite a bit of heckling.

I'm not a vet, but I want each and every one of you to know that my heart breaks each time I read an account of how vets are dishonored by those they serve.

No matter where you served or in what capacity, ALL of you are heroes, through and through. Never forget that, and NEVER let any of those short sighted, misinformed, ignorant bufoons who would even attempt to degrade you for your service to this great nation, tell you otherwise! And they damn well better not do it when I'm standing there!

It frosts my ass to see how vets are treated in this country, by both her citizens and her government. It brings shame to all of us, and is no less than an indelible stain on the fabric of what is supposed to be the greatest nation on earth. How can we claim such greatness when we tolerate such disrespect for those who have sacrificed so much throughout our history to bring it to us?

To all of those who have served, who still serve, and to those who didn't make it home, you are heroes because of your actions, NOT because of public opinion. Heroism lives inside of each of you, not in some headline or newscast.

Just remember, if someone spits on a rose, it is still a rose. It becomes no less because of the ignorance around it.

God bless all of you.

THANKS Doug D. I applaud you for sticking up for us Vets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the 1st person to say that about us. I really respect you for that. it wasn't our joice to go to Vietnam but we just did what we were told. Don't understand why people took it out on us. I would really like to shake your hand some day!!!!!!!!!! That means a lot too me. Jim

I am not a Viet vet...I was in the Navy shortly after the Vietnam War ended.

My ship's CO was a carrier-based fighter pilot in Vietnam. He was shot down and ended up as a POW in North Vietnam for quite a few years. Great CO who really cared about his people...he's still around...I'm going to be writing him soon.

To all Viet vets...thank you for your service and I rebuke anyone who disrespected you when you came home.

Doug, if you are ever traveling thru the U.P. of Michigan let me know and I will not only shake your hand but buy you a cup of coffee. Thank you for your support. I have seen several people state they are grateful for all the VN Vets and beyond this site the support has been becoming more and more. Does it still hurt? Yes. Many people have lived a tough life with the ghosts of Nam chasing them every night. Many have not survived. Some tried leaning on booze or drugs and ended up making the problems worse. And Uncle Sam denied there was a problem. After all, if they waited long enough they could bury all the problems. But a simple thanx is a nice start, and greatly appreciated.

U.S. Navy 66-71, spent 66-68 in country around the Cue Viet River on a gasoline/JP5 small tanker. My ship was approved for agent orange, but so far no problems. Thanks everyone for your service and remember those that did not come home!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png