2020 TGU steering "shift"

Sep 27, 2020
Sumter
On my TGU when I steer to the left or right, or even just going down the road the steering will "shift a little to the left or right (depending on direction I am steering). Even when just traveling down the road it will "shift" to the left or right enough that I have to correct it back to center. It's like it is extremely touchy.

Is this a flaw in the steering or a failure in the stabilizer bar that is attached to the forks and frame? Or something else completely?

Tire pressure is good and tread is new-ish. No visible tire damage or rim damage. Only have put 100 miles on it since purchase. 5500 miles on it when bought from dealer as used.

If this is your first trike , you may still be getting used to the handling characteristics. I find that little things like where the front tire is in relation to the crown of the road will make the trike seem "nervous". Also side winds will cause you move around more than a two wheeler. You should also check the wheel and fork bearings for proper adjustment and wear.

I had my front wheel bearings fail at 5500 miles.

Your 2020 trike has factory warranty on it for 2 years, swing by the dealer and have them test ride it to see what they think. This should give you peace of mind.

:welcome:to Trike Talk

If this is your first trike , you may still be getting used to the handling characteristics. I find that little things like where the front tire is in relation to the crown of the road will make the trike seem "nervous". Also side winds will cause you move around more than a two wheeler. You should also check the wheel and fork bearings for proper adjustment and wear.

I had my front wheel bearings fail at 5500 miles.

I'll mention that to the dealer when I take it in, but I would expect that to be extremely rare for the bearings to fail at such a low mileage. I have been paying close attention to the road crown and wind effects and definitely have experienced both. I also have ridden on flat streets and no wind with the same "problem" with the front wanting to do what I call shift and you call being nervous. It's a lot like the steering on a car having play in it where you have to correct it back to center. Could this have anything to do with the sliding stabilizer that is attached to the forks and frame?

Going out again today, so I'm getting more data. Any suggestions of what I should look out for other than what has already been said?

Your 2020 trike has factory warranty on it for 2 years, swing by the dealer and have them test ride it to see what they think. This should give you peace of mind.

:welcome:to Trike Talk

Definitely taking in to the dealer as soon as my other bike is out (2007 FLSTC). Peace of mind will come when it doesn't act like it wants to take off in one direction or the other.

Thanks Jack

Just throwing this out there:

Trikes tend to "follow" the "hump" in the roads. The hump is the crown they engineer in the road to facilitate rain or snow (when it melts) removal. Depending on where you live, this can be significant. I never noticed it on two wheels, well, not to the extreme of a trike.

Maybe find like a mall parking lot when it's closed that has flat asphalt or concrete and test it out. Might just be as stated by others, that you aren't used to it.

Good Luck.

Having the front bearings fail at 5500 miles isn't that rare. My dealer had one in at 2300 miles and I believe someone posted their bearings failed at 3700 miles.

It's the junk Chinese bearings that Harley is using.

Doesn’t sound right to me. For reference I have a 19 TGU with 2300 miles. Usually ride two up and have never experienced what your describing. We just returned from a 130 mile ride through Lake Mead Park and Valley of Fire. When I’m on a long stretch of road not in traffic or tight turns I’m riding one handed. The trike is rock solid, no twitch. 70 MPH on the freeway one hand when other vehicles are not around me, no shift. I run 36 in the front and 22 in the rear. I would have it checked.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 64
David,

I'd like to know what air pressure you are running in your rear tires.

I'd suggest you drop it to 22 lbs and see how that affects the issue.

Doesn’t sound right to me. For reference I have a 19 TGU with 2300 miles. Usually ride two up and have never experienced what your describing. We just returned from a 130 mile ride through Lake Mead Park and Valley of Fire. When I’m on a long stretch of road not in traffic or tight turns I’m riding one handed. The trike is rock solid, no twitch. 70 MPH on the freeway one hand when other vehicles are not around me, no shift. I run 36 in the front and 22 in the rear. I would have it checked.

Brian........Welcome to Trike Talk................:clapping:...

On my TGU when I steer to the left or right, or even just going down the road the steering will "shift a little to the left or right (depending on direction I am steering). Even when just traveling down the road it will "shift" to the left or right enough that I have to correct it back to center. It's like it is extremely touchy.

Is this a flaw in the steering or a failure in the stabilizer bar that is attached to the forks and frame? Or something else completely?

Tire pressure is good and tread is new-ish. No visible tire damage or rim damage. Only have put 100 miles on it since purchase. 5500 miles on it when bought from dealer as used.

I had the same thing from the day I bought, on the highway it was like there was 40 mile an hour wind gust , It got worst the more miles on it ,mine was scarry, I change the front tire to a Avon 91 it was like a new trike . maybe thats what you have ??

Definitely taking in to the dealer as soon as my other bike is out (2007 FLSTC). Peace of mind will come when it doesn't act like it wants to take off in one direction or the other.

Thanks Jack

I'm with Jack. You are under warranty so have the dealer check it out. Could be a loose Panhard bar. With the trike sitting, shake it sideways and listen for a clicking. If it clicks, something may be loose in the rear suspension.

Kurt

There is a lot of good info in the replies thus far....I also found that by lowering the pressure in my rear shocks I relieved some downward pressure on the front tire creating a balance front to rear and solved a problem that I had with curves and tire skipping giving me better steering control.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png