2014 TriGlide Handeling

I purchased a 2014 Tri-glide, have right at 1000 miles on it now , I`m having trouble getting used to the cornering , and handling the dips on right side. I ridden motorcycles for yrs. , but the corners and dips sometimes scare the shit out of me ,when it feels like the bike is either going to go straight in the corner, or suck right on a crowned/angled road when right side dips ..

does a leveling kit helps this ?
do I just need to crank the bars harder In the corners ,will rear lift in corner? or will it follow .
I'm finding my self slowing way down in corners Left hand turns more then right , and on right sloped roads just flat out make me nervous.

any tips would be appreciated..

Yes we have to muscle these Trikes. The faster you go into a turn the more pressure you need to apply to drive through it. I understand the feeling your having and this is what I recommend to make you more comfortable riding it. Find a large enough parking lot and start riding in a circles to the left. Start out slow and build your speed at which time it will be harder to hold the Trike in a circle. Try at least 10 circles and then start doing right circles. Do three sets of circles and do 20 figure eights. Then take it back out on the road. If you like I was when I started riding a Trike, you go back to the parking lot to practice a couple more times and then as everyone says, run another 500 miles and see if there is a difference>> Ride Safe!

I had similar problems to you, I'd never ridden a trike before I bought my TG,

The pick up from the dealers was hilarious , I tried to demolish a couple of cars in the dealers car park but a couple or three laps and I was on my way,

Its all about practice, and that gives you confidence, Like the previous post said go out on the car park and practice, I did figure of 8s around a couple of cones and then put the cones closer together,

You'll soon get used to it, then you'll love it , trust me, ;)

I had similar problems to you, I'd never ridden a trike before I bought my TG,

The pick up from the dealers was hilarious , I tried to demolish a couple of cars in the dealers car park but a couple or three laps and I was on my way,

Its all about practice, and that gives you confidence, Like the previous post said go out on the car park and practice, I did figure of 8s around a couple of cones and then put the cones closer together,

You'll soon get used to it, then you'll love it , trust me, ;)

Same here. Good thing someone with some trike experience was with me so he could drive it home. It was a mental thing. I wanted to steer it the opposite direction I wanted to go. It didn't help that it started to sprinkle and while I was driving across the parking lot, some woman ran out between cars and I nearly clipped her. When I got it home, I took it to the parking lot across the street, made some circles, then through my neighborhood for some practice.

Then the following Monday, drove it the 19 miles to work. I went a lot slower on the way to work than on the way home. It just took a some practice and miles, miles, miles. It took some mental changes to get used the cornering. The old bike just leaned. The trike, lots of upper body. I was trailing a couple friends on their bikes a couple weeks ago through some twistees.

Hitting one corner about 85, I didn't realize how flat it was. I just slid over and throttled it through the corner. Needless to say, my scrotum was definitely looking for a place to hide. My experience is that through a corner, just point it where you want to go, give her gas, and hang one.

Yep, it's a learning experience for all of us. Practice, Practice every time you go out. It gets better. For me, I tend to lean a little in the turn and power off then power on out of the turn. Ya gotts to remember that your rear wheels are sticking out also, don't get too close to things, like gas pumps :laugh:

does a leveling kit helps this ?
No
do I just need to crank the bars harder In the corners
Yes
,will rear lift in corner?or will it follow .
You can lift a wheel in a corner but, you have to be really "pushing it".
I'm finding my self slowing way down in corners Left hand turns more then right , and on right sloped roads just flat out make me nervous.
You do need a considerable amount of "input" to keep it cornering and some input to keep it straight on highly crowned roads.
You will get used to it quickly!

Yep, it's a learning experience for all of us. Practice, Practice every time you go out. It gets better. For me, I tend to lean a little in the turn and power off then power on out of the turn. Ya gotts to remember that your rear wheels are sticking out also, don't get too close to things, like gas pumps :laugh:

KD4LZL de W4WNG hi Sully,

73 SK

KD4LZL de W4WNG hi Sully,
73 SK

<script src="http://cdn.code-jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://cdn.code-jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Hey David, I was wondering how long before someone caught my call sign ?
Checked you out on QRZ. Maybe someday we can get a QSO going ? 73

Use the push/ pull in turns for the handle bars..may have to lean in the curves a bit. Once you get more riding time in it becomes much easier to make turns..If you are fighting to steer in straight drives something is not right..You should be comfortable driving the trike .

Take time and practice short then longer turns..

Good luck

welcom and lots of luck. took me a while too, especially them damn left turns. The circle practice in empty lots if the right move.

But soon you will be gliding down the road ..................ENJOY

I ride a lot of back roads, and I have found that the crown of the road can greatly affect the handling of the trike. I've noticed that if I place myself left of center (center of my lane), the crown doesn't bother me. If I stray to the right, it sometimes feels like I'm being sucked off the side of the road. Also, the narrower the road, the more pronounced the crown will be. Hope this helps.

BTW, welcome to Trike Talk!

Same thing happened to me when I first got mine.
Find an empty parking lot, put up some cones (or whatever you have handy), and do a ton of figure 8's, U-turns, starts/stops, etc., etc. Start slow and after you get the hang of it a bit increase your speed. Trust me - it isn't going to tip and as soon as you get over the fear that it's going to throw you off you'll be able to run through the cones like an old pro!
Took mine to Beartooth last summer and took the switchbacks like never before! What a blast! Most fun I've EVER had!!

Give it time and be patient. I just finished 4400 miles on my 2014 Tri Glide and I still feel I have much to learn. Riding tons of uphill and downhill hairpin turns this past weekend in WV gave me a REAL education. :laugh:

Lots of great advice and helpful folks here on Trike Talk. Don't be afraid to ask. Good Luck and enjoy.

Jerry

left hand curves

Hello...I only have about 100 miles on a 'new to me' 2014 Tri Glide. I did the DK comfort lift..still have stock air shocks.

Going around right hand curves is a piece of cake...Left hand curves bother me a lot...right side seem to squat and I'm scared of lifting the left tire...Is this 'normal' for a left hand curve to feel this way?. The Tri GLide is like new condition with only 5,000 miles. I'm not a speedster at all...at almost 70 years old, speed limit , plus 5mph if pushed, is fine with me. Going to Americade again this summer. We take RT 22 most of the way from MA. to #149...to 9. Am I going to be holding up traffic as I worry my way through left hand curves? I'd appreciate any advice/info...Thank you, Charlie

Hello...I only have about 100 miles on a 'new to me' 2014 Tri Glide. I did the DK comfort lift..still have stock air shocks.

Going around right hand curves is a piece of cake...Left hand curves bother me a lot...right side seem to squat and I'm scared of lifting the left tire...Is this 'normal' for a left hand curve to feel this way?. The Tri GLide is like new condition with only 5,000 miles. I'm not a speedster at all...at almost 70 years old, speed limit , plus 5mph if pushed, is fine with me. Going to Americade again this summer. We take RT 22 most of the way from MA. to #149...to 9. Am I going to be holding up traffic as I worry my way through left hand curves? I'd appreciate any advice/info...Thank you, Charlie

Hi Charlie!

Something that would help you tremendously in any curve, left or right, is a rake kit. I bought one from the forum owner, Randy, and it has helped me so much. It has reduced the effort I use in curves to turn by 50%. Where it is raked to the proper angle, it eliminates the need for the stabilizer, which prevents headshake, because Harley in its infinite wisdom, didn’t want to change the rake angle and went the cheapest route possible. At idle speed you can tell a HUGE difference and can turn circles around gas pumps one handed.

It had gotten so bad for me that I was thinking about either selling my trike, or trading back to a two wheeler. Not now though.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png