Rake or no Rake????

Jan 13, 2012
The Villages Fl
I had a custom set of training wheels installed on my Boulevard c 90. My question is will a rake kit improve my steering. I am also interested in where I can buy a rake kit and where can I go to have it installed? I am presently in Florida.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dick, I recommend you call Bazooka (334-648-0157). First, if you do purchase a rake kit, he will offer you the best price possible as he discounts them to all forum members. His are also very high quality. For installation of it, he is not so far north of you, just across the Alabama line in Dothan.

Generally with kits like the Voyager (which is removable), a rake kit is not usually recommended as it would possibly make the steering dangerous if you ever take off the two rear wheels and return to just a 2-wheeler. However, if it is permanently a trike, a rake kit does safely and very significantly improve your ease of steering, and so it is highly recommended.

Bazooka will be able to give you the best advice on what to do in your personal situation. He is very honest and will not recommend something he believes is against your best interest!

For your bike the answer is no! There has been no change in your stock rake or trail and any sort of a rake kit regardless of cost is not going to improved your riding pleasure and just might make it worse.

When a bike is " triked " it does change the Geometry of the steering but, not so with an add on "training wheel set up.

Last edited:
Actually you can add a rake to a outrigger style trike conversion such as a Voyager or other similar kit and it will not make your machine any less safe in fact it will make it safer as it will steer much easier through the turns. The same is true with a sidecar rig, a rake can and is routinely added by the sidecar affectionados to make them steer easier. Ive sold lots of rakes to sidecar guys.

The problem arises if and when the kit is removed from the bike and its used as a two wheeler. Guys rake bikes all the time and have forever, sometimes to an extreme, but it can affect the high speed handling and isnt as safe as the stock rake in the two wheel mode though this does not always deter those in search of "coolness". If you intend on keeping the bike as a trike, then youd be fine, if not dont rake it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png