Trailer Hitch Mounting Brackets

I having just bought my 2012 TG am in the process of making my hitch. Looking at hitches online i am thinking the brackets are about 1/4 in thick.Just wanted to know if anyone knows what thickness theirs are.( i tebd to over build and i want to add as little weight as possible)

well, my thoughts are, (and they are just as valuable as what you are paying for them), most of the weight is on the trailer wheels not the tongue, but tis better to overbuild than to under build. With no more metal than you are adding with a hitch, the weight is not going to be that great. That said, I would not use anything thinner than the 1/4 inch thickness. Just my worthless opinion though. FYI the hitch on the Harley Electra Glide that I traded in on the Trike was not nearly that heavy duty and it worked just fine.

I agree with Woolie.... If peace of mind is worth anything then go with the thicker material. Motor Trike uses material with a 1/8 inch thick wall for the receiver and even less to attach that to the frame. A lot depends on how and where you are attaching the hitch.

I started to make one using 3/8" plate that I had around the shop, another member of this board offered up a set of plans which were simple and a fairly elegant solution. Just a 1 1/4" reciever tube with U-Bolts bolted to 6 X 2 X .250 aluminum plate bolted to the triglide frame, the reciever tube passed through the U-bolts which were in turn welded to the sides of the reciever tube.

The thickness is not the strength the hitch pulls so the bends are its strength. Mine on the DFT are 3/16 inch thick x 1 1/2wide what you attach to and with what size bolts seems to me would be more important. JMHO....

I used 1/4 x 1 1/2" angle for the cross pieces and a 1 1/4 square receiver tube, I also drilled the receiver tube so an anti-rattle bolt could be installed ( I just hate a hitch that rattles ) and like John said use a good grade of bolt with lock washers and loc-tite to attach the thing.

I have a hitch for my tri glide 2011, that made also. My only tip I offer is: Beware of your Harley dealer due to a void in your warranty. Checked with my dealer and they said it would void the factory along with the extended warranty if you have one. Also I heard that HD would have some type of Black ball list if a rep would notice it at some event or something. I do use my hitch but I do take it off when not using it, which is most of the time.
Just words for thought.:Shrug:

Yup Bill know what you are saying there but i am lucky as my local dealer and i had this discussion when i bought my o0 ultra.He told me that he thinks the dealers that stand on "the trailer hitch" theory invalidates your warranty are copping out so i am all good in his books as far as that goes.haha he suggested i could make some cash making hitches at the time but i don't want the liability issues.BTW when i get this project hitch done i will have photos and the dxf files will be available to any that want them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png