CB Radio

Jul 26, 2011
Waller, TX, USA
Dealer wants $700+ to install a CB radio in my Goldwing. Just wondering - how difficult is it to put one in? Could I do it myself (moderate mechanical skills) or would I blow up the whole harness?

Is it even worth it? Asking anyone who has one installed - how much do you use it? I can see the usefullness in group rides but what about other times?

How useful a CB is will depend on how much you use it and/or how important it is to be in contact with your riding group. I regularly lead several guys around on rides and really like to be in contact so I can be alerted if there is a problem and also to warn others of potential hazards.

As far as install difficulty I'd say there is very little. The instructions that Honda includes are good. I would caution you to make sure you get the correct year unit. 2012 will not work on prior years.... A friend of mine got the wrong one when I did the install for him. Had to exchange it..

One other thing.. You do not have to remove the trunk to cut the wire hole. I use a Dremill and a round file. Have installed several this way.

Here's the link to Direct Line Parts. Best price I've ever seen. Make sure you get the radio and antenna kit... Direct Line Parts - Honda GL1800 Goldwing Parts and Accessories

We don't have a CB on the new trike, but there was one on Her Purpleness, a Gl1500SE. It was neat to have, we talked to other riders once in a great while and when going north cities I would listen to the truckers to hear about traffic, accidents, idiot drivers and general chit chat. I wouldn't pay to have one put in unless it was a screaming good deal, like under $100 or so. Didn't use it enough to justify the cost and Gloria didn't like the interruption of music. Actually used it maybe 5 to 10 times a year.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png