New TriGlide neutral???????

Jan 10, 2012
Bismarck, ND, USA
Took the new TriGlide out for a short ride today and had a heck of a time to get it into neutral, with the engine running. Shut it off and it goes right in. Any tips, or is it a new trike thing? Thanks for any help.

I seem to recall mine might have been a little tough when new. But that was 35,000 miles ago and my memory could be playing tricks. I will say that I switched over to synthetic oil in both engine and tranny after 1st service and it shifts fine right now.

Triken, I had the same exact problem. I adjusted the clutch three turns and it fixed everything. I also noticed that I was in the friction zone after barely moving the clutch handle.

I agree with TheBobs and Bullet 10. First thing I had to do to my wife's 2012 Triglide was adjust the clutch. I also put Redline V-twin Shockproof gear oil in the Tranny. Best IMO.

Mine was impossible to get into neutral, unless I shut off the engine. When I brought it in for the 1k service I asked them to adjust the clutch. Now it's a lot easier, but still hard sometimes if it's hot or not moving. I only have a couple thousand miles on it.

I don't know if the brand oil has anything to do with it. I have had many Harleys with different oils at one time or another and they were all hard to get into neutral when new.

Give it time

Hey Triken...Mine did the exact same thing. Dealer adjusted the clutch and it worked fine then. Works fine now and has since they adjusted it at 500 miles.

When we're riding, our trannys are easy to shift because when we first pull the clutch lever in to shift there is an immediate speed change in the clutch drive and driven plates as the engine slows toward idle that lessens the drag on the shift dogs.

To find neutral or get the tranny to shift easier, we have to mismatch the speed of the drive and driven clutch plates. To do that put a little bit of pressure on the shift lever and pull in the clutch lever, quickly blip the throttle and the shifter will slip easily into neutral or the next gear. This is a symptom of riding a bike with a wet clutch. I'll bet Ducati riders rarely have trouble finding neutral because they have a dry clutch.

Phu Cat

When we're riding, our trannys are easy to shift because when we first pull the clutch lever in to shift there is an immediate speed change in
To find neutral or get the tranny to shift easier, we have to mismatch the speed of the drive and driven clutch plates. To do that put a little bit of pressure on the shift lever and pull in the clutch lever, quickly blip the throttle and the shifter will slip easily into neutral or the next gear. This is a symptom of riding a bike with a wet clutch. I'll bet Ducati riders rarely have trouble finding neutral because they have a dry clutch.

Phu Cat

Phu, that's a good idea except that we are 't supposed to blip an EFI motor. :laugh:

Had the same problem when new. Switched over to AMSOIL & shifted like butter. Sometimes when I'm stop at a light & the motor is hot I have a hard time finding neutral. Doesn't happen very often.

When my Road King was brand new, I had trouble finding neutral. When I tried from either direction, it would go right past neutral to 1st or 2nd.

Did my first oil change at 500 miles and by then it was a lot easier.

I think it was two things: first, the oil change, and second, developing a better feel for shifting.

My T/G 11, Still gives me a hard time finding neutral at 5k, Adjusted the clutch twice, It just seams like There's a very narrow band where neutral lives.:AGGHH:

I have had 2 different Ultras and never had a problem with neutral. Why would the tranny, on a trike, be any different? I put Red Line shock proof in when new, still have a problem with neutral. Seems to be a Trike thing. Thanks for the replys.

that's a good idea except that we are 't supposed to blip an EFI motor.

Bobs, That's news to me, have any idea why? I've blipped all my EFI's so far with no problem.

Phu Cat

Give it time to break in then readjust the clutch cable and then the clutch..It will help..

My other trike is modified and I can get neutral with no problems..I found that after market clucth I bought made a huge difference over stock..

If I didn't post here, I would feel cheated. Same here, I'm having trouble getting into neutral also. I sure way to find it, take off in first gear, shift to second but instead, your in neutral. We've all done it. Ok, I'm a little silly. The fact is the new cycle is tight and finding neutral is tough for a while.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png