Brake noise when backing up

Re: Break noise when backing up

i'm not sure about yours but if it has disc brakes like a car which i'm guessing it does some times if the caliper top mounting bolt is loose or got loose and fell out it well do that when you back up , I've experienced this on cars cause they dont lock tight the bolts on , just a hunch

Ours does this but once you stab on the pads to reseat them the sound deminshes or goes away. This is only in reverse the first time we back up for the day. Stallion told us that it's because the pads wear slightly more on one edge, and that it's not a problem except for the noise. After 20k miles still does it and the brakes are just fine. Not a issue. Just ride.

I have over 48,000 miles on mine and it still does it IF the rear routers get damp or wet like washing the Stallion or setting in the rain they will start to corrode and WILL squeak when you back up until the surface has been cleaned off by the pads.
mine do it lots of times when they got damp but it has never done it if the Stallion was put up dry and it was not damp.

Silverdevil living in the florida keys I expect the humidity is what is also causing the issue. Anyway as we stated it's really not a problem so they can relax.

Just had mine looked at because of the same issue, the noise is "normal" in a humid area per the mechanic. Rust forms because of the humidity. Don't worry about it, it is normal.

Mine also make noise when backing up. Not a real problem except it is rather embarrassing. I live in the desert so not caused my dampness.

Terry
2010 Stallion #696

Happens every time I wash it and let dry out. No problem with anything other than a little noise to clean the "rust" off.
Tomg

I had the same problem, all the time backing up. Embarrassing ... big time when talking about our classic trike and then asked 'what the hay' is wrong with it! I finally replaced the disc brakes with Wagner brand. They are cut at an extreme angle. Never had another problem.

I had the same problem, all the time backing up. Embarrassing ... big time when talking about our classic trike and then asked 'what the hay' is wrong with it! I finally replaced the disc brakes with Wagner brand. They are cut at an extreme angle. Never had another problem.

Dean,

Do you have a part number for the Wagner pads? Is the pad material ceramic or other? I'm sick and tired with my Stallions noisey brakes, every time I back up and I mean EVERY TIME!:mad: Other suggestions on how to quiet down or better yet, totally eliminate the extreme vibration noise, will be much welcomed.

Daydreamer

Paul, that Wagner part number is: PD1071. O’Reilly Auto Parts has them for $49.99 in my area. Good luck.

Dean,

Thanks for the info on the rear brake pads. I ordered a set thru Amazon.com for $34 & free shipping. I'll let you know what I think of them after they arrive and are installed. Their design sounds good. Just hope they work!!! Do you know the torque specs on the caliper bolts? :confused:

Daydreamer

This growling noise is due to to the brake caliper (mounted on the caliper bracket which is welded to the rearend axle tubes) not being "level and centered" with the rotor. Let me explain..... the rotor rides in the center of the caliper bracket. If the top or bottom of the caliper is not the same distance from the rotor, the brake pads do not contact the rotor evenly, and will wear un-evenly. The way to correct this problem is to remove your tires and brake calipers and visually inspect them. Also, make sure the rotors have 2 lugnuts tight to hold it straight. If they are not straight, correct the problem, and install brake calipers and NEW brake pads. This should correct the growling noise while backing up. Hope this helps

StallionTech,

I want to install new rear brake pads. I note that to retract/compress the caliper pistons, one needs a special tool. The pistons must be turned as they are compressed at the same time. Do you know the part # of the tool, where I could get/rent one and which way clockwise or counter-clockwise one turns the caliper pistons. Your help and advise is much appreciated.

Daydreamer
Watertown, SD

You can usually get a tool like that from Auto Zone, they have a cheap "cube" looking one. Or of you can find one, they have a better set which will include all needed tools. You can also use a brake caliper tool (or a big "C" clamp) and set of channel locks if you are careful not to rupture the rubber boot. Be sure to look closely at the caliper, it will have an arrow pointing in the direction the piston needs to turn.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png