Champion Reverse Gear kit

tis

Dec 27, 2008
West Falls, N.Y.
Hopefully someone has an answer to this: I'm planning on installing a Champion Reverse on my 2004 Ultra, will the Chrome transmission cover Harley or Kuryakyn have to be modified. Thanks.....(It's getting close)

The right side (clutch release) cover is slightly modified on the inside of the cover below the dipstick hole. Other than that, HD covers, and aftermarket covers will all be untouched on the outside, and are re-installed. If you are speaking of the 'derby cover' on the left side, it too will be re-installed as is, so stock or aftermarket covers are OK there too. Note that on some bikes, the reverse gear shifter is in the way of oil lines, and close to crossover pipes. If that's the case, a shifter 'extension' is available, which can be installed 'on top' of the Champion shifter.
Here's a link to the 5-speed reverse installation instructions:
http://www.championsidecars.com/asp/download.asp?fid=4&fsid=56&eid=5

Ultraboy, Where have you seen the extension for the handle on the reverse? I was just getting ready to build one and if one was available at a decent price it would be easier to buy. I called Champion, they don't sell one. Did you see it some where else or am I miss understanding? <br />
Thanks in advance..

First.. I apologize that these shots are a little fuzzy but I wanted to get a close up shot with an old camera.

This is for an 07 Ultra (six speed) with true duals. The right hand Kuryakyn cover had to be modified to fit with the installation of the Champions kit. The left cover is fine. The trike installer didn't want to do it so I did. Not the best job but not too bad for my first time.

If you will notice. At the bottom of the right hand cover the clutch cable interfered because it sticks out more due to the Champions plate that is added. It sticks out just enough to be a pain when adding the cover as seen below. I had to take the rounded part of the cover that hides the clutch cable and snap it off. I did this while holding it in a vice...

I got lucky but I did etch the back first for a good snap. If I had to do it again I would have not taken so much off. Maybe etch the middle of the rounded piece instead of where it connected to the flat area.

You will also notice that the mounting screw hole (middle on right hand next to the tranny) for the cover is very close to additional plate by Champion. The cut had to take 1/3 of the screw hole and there is just no way to get that screw back in unless you modify the screw head. This can be seen in both shots.

tranycover001.jpg

In this fuzzy shot you can see where I had to start my cut at the beginning of the right hand side cover where the reverse handle is installed. The cut will be shaped almost exactly like the Champions plate. I made a cardboard pattern then traced it on the Kuryakyn cover and used a sharpie. I used a zip wheel on a Dremmel to follow the pattern. Although I went through a lot of zip wheels it came out pretty good.

tranycover003.jpg

This is another fuzzy shot of what the top side will look like behind the Champions handle plate.

All of the other Kuryakyn mounting screws will be fine. The cover will go on if you start by putting it in reverse and slide the cover on from the bottom right then up to meet the left cover.

tranycover002.jpg

Not sure if this is exactly what you needed but it may be close.

Tis and fbtrike. Ok, we're talking about 5-speed Champion reverse kits, not 6-speeds. As far as those covers reskul is talking about, I don't know about them. The reverse shift handle extension for the 5-speed Champion, was last seen on ebay, and sold for 28 bucks. I'll keep an eye out. The extension could be easily made though.

Last edited:
As soon as I read from Tis "the Chrome transmission cover Harley or Kuryakyn have to be modified" it came to mind what he may be talking about. Hope I was correct.

I was told right off the bat they would have to remove mine but they would not put it back on as it wouldn't fit without being modified. Both Harley and Kuryakyn make the same type of tanny chrome cover (bling that is not stock on the bike) and both have to be modified with the Champions kit.

reskul, I think you read it correctly. I was thinking about the obvious 'covers.' Personally, I never had those covers you show, just don't like them myself.

Thanks for the info & pics. you're correct it is a 5 speed and I have the chrome kuryakn covers, would appreciate if you find any info on those handle extensions. Tis.....

Hey, I'll take a couple...:D Just kidding. I do like the extensions for the 5-speeds..the 6-speed handles are longer already.

Ultra: I did try to contact you by way of PM, but it was blocked. So I went into the membership area and sent you a instant msg. with my shipping info. Hope you received it o.k.

tis,

The actual transmission cover itself is unchanged. but if you have the chrome interface and cover, they can't be reinstalled without modification. That's because they are attached by the tranny cover bolts and the heads of those are now about 1/2" further out from the tranny body.

Dave

Tis, I had a box checked in the PM thing. I did send you a PM. As fare as pics go, there are pics of the extension installed in one of my posts above.

Ultra

Zook, you need a couple of them?

Tony, these are extensions for the 5-speed Champion kits. With that said, if you want one, please let me know, and I'll get you one out. All I'll ask for is that you make a small donation (amount optional) to the Trike Talk web site operating expenses. Anyone can donate by clicking on the 'Donate' button on the right side of the main forum page.

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Has any body recieved one of these reverse gear shift handles xtension yet & put it on ? I got mine friday , tried it on both my road glides ones a evo motor the other a twin cam they both end up about a 1/2 inch away from the air cleaner,i t really did not work on either bike?? So i heated them up with the torch put about a 20 degree bent in them & ran them through the wire wheel , & they work great & look good.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png