Trike Trunks For Camp Storage

Feb 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Are the back 2 trunks on most trikes adequate for camping trips without the need for trailers, tagalongs etc, is there any passenger seat adaptations that you use for extra storage that are secure if you are travelling alone on such a trip or in a group, pictures of your set up would be appreciated...

We have a Bunkhouse camper we pull behind the trike, but when I go alone I usually take the Harley, no hitch so no trailer. I get tent, sleeping bag, clothes, small stove, and such in the saddle bags and on the package rack & back seat. (I have no tour pack) I don't have any motorcycle luggage like T-Bags and the like, but they would be handy. I also use a lot of equipment designed for hikers/backpackers. It is small, light and pack-able.

Also, bungee cords are your friends.

We have a Bunkhouse camper we pull behind the trike, but when I go alone I usually take the Harley, no hitch so no trailer. I get tent, sleeping bag, clothes, small stove, and such in the saddle bags and on the package rack & back seat. (I have no tour pack) I don't have any motorcycle luggage like T-Bags and the like, but they would be handy. I also use a lot of equipment designed for hikers/backpackers. It is small, light and pack-able.

Also, bungee cords are your friends.

Cheers Ozarkryder,

I have noticed on other threads that Bunkhouse and other tent trailers seem to be popular, was just wondering if other trike travellers get a lot of gear into the trunks to save on the need for trailers...

We take the Bunkhouse when we both camp. Gloria likes camping, but not roughing it like I do when I go alone. As I mentioned the Harley only has saddle bags, so everything I can't fit in there goes on the back seat or on the 8 X 12 inch package rack. I have taken the trike once in a while, and a lot fits in the trunks. I also have a rack bag for the rack on the upper trunk and a duffle bag I fill with stuff I put on the rear seat. I am going to ditch the bag and get a sissy bar/seat bag for both rides. Pics below of a trunk rack bag and a sissy bar / seat bag.

The 2 bags you mention will give good extra storage, are those bags easy to tie down & secure to deter opportunists if you are away from your bike...

When I made my first long trip on the Shadow trike I used the trunk, a touring bag (which I secured to the luggage rack and rear of the pax seat back) and a dry bag from my kayaking gear. The latter was used for my sleeping bag and was secured to the frontside of the pax backrest with buggies cords. It also served as a backrest for me. The trunk stowed my tools, sleeping pad, folding 3-legged stool, tent, Jet Boil stove, and cooking utensils while the touring bag was strictly for clothing and other personal items with my rain gear packed on top for quick access. I did have a small collapsible 6-pack cooler which I used at the end of each day for the night's and next morning's food purchases.

Some touring bags are made specifically to secure to the frontside of your pax back rest. You can see some on such websites as Motorcycle Parts & Accessories | J&P Cycles or Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gear

The head mechanic at the Honda dealership I have my trike serviced at asked me if I might be interested in a project of his. He has quite a few of the hard case saddle bags from GoldWings that were converted into trikes and they're just taking up space. He's going to make a long tow bar with two of the saddle bags mounted on it side by side. They'll also have stop lights and directionals so all you'd have to do is slide the unit in to your hitch and hook up the trailer wire. I'm curious to see what he comes up with. I'll post pictures when he has a unit completed.

I had a welder make this custom hitch/mount for a 27 inch wide x 18 inch deep x 15 inch high under bed truck tool box. cost 500.00 total. box, hitch out the door. I have a front basket, and a rear Atv backet, 6 pac cooler racks on the fenders. I guess that would be enough storage to go camping, I havent yet tried to.

The head mechanic at the Honda dealership I have my trike serviced at asked me if I might be interested in a project of his. He has quite a few of the hard case saddle bags from GoldWings that were converted into trikes and they're just taking up space. He's going to make a long tow bar with two of the saddle bags mounted on it side by side. They'll also have stop lights and directionals so all you'd have to do is slide the unit in to your hitch and hook up the trailer wire. I'm curious to see what he comes up with. I'll post pictures when he has a unit completed.

I bet it will look similar to this.... These are my '06 take off bags. I also built a two wheel trailer using trike take off bags...

6866-heres-tag.jpg

If you can/want to sleep on ground your trunk should hold all u need. However many of us like our creature comforts, do it enought to make towable camper worth the cost. A small trailer will make a good investment if u used a lot. My 2 cents.

Years ago we tent camped and fit everything in the trunk and saddlebags and trunk rack as a 2 wheeler. The trike definately has more room then the two wheeler.

But now we have a Aspen Classic everything goes in there.

If we don't camp we motel and everything fits in the trike we carry enough fo a week.

It kinda saves us from ourselves when we're out and about. We can only bring so much back!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png