Warranty Question

Feb 11, 2012
Dickson, TN
Thank goodness no "beating the dead horse on the smilies? :D:Excited: I have another question. I'm about to make a deal on a Black TG. And I can't get a straight answer about the extended warranty. I do understand that a warranty is as good as you need it. Since I'm an old broad who has no man to work on a bike for me, I believe the warranty is something I need for the TG. Is the tire and wheel addition a good thing. The sales man told me that if I were to hit a pothole and bend a wheel/blow a tire, the warranty would cover that. Any information on the warranties and what they cover would be helpful.

I have the extended warranty on my 2010 TG and haven't had to use it (knock wood). It's just good to have for peace-of-mind. But be careful with some of the after-market modifications. Some service departments may come out with the "gotcha" clause if they think the mod has caused damage and voided the warranty.

We have the extended on both the 09 and 11 Tri's. When they exchanged the second radio on the 09 after the primary warranty expired, it paid for itself. We also have the wheel and tire warranty. You realize in most cases you don't patch or repair a motorcycle flat, you buy a new tire. Second nail in my old E-Glide paid for that warranty.

Good Luck!

I have put so many miles on a my bikes over the years... I have never gotten a flat on 8 or so bikes.. And I have gone from CA to IL and back again.

Dealer love selling Extended warranties..it goes straight to the bottom line. I have owned enough new motorcycles and what I have done is ride the **** out of it the first year...if anything is going to go south it happens early on IMO.

So HELL NO.. on the warranties you may as well go to vegas! :censored:

Its like any insurance, hope you never need it, but if you do, you already have it instead of " wishing you had gotten it ".

Wishing is not a very good method for cost analysis. Most insurance these days is mandatory. Go back before Insurance was mandatory and you will see the numbers or those insured drop. So if you could have all the money back for insurance that you have paid out over the years would that cover your accidents? For most people the answer would be yes.

Ask any underwriter and they will tell you insurance and extended warranties are a suckers bet. Hence my previous comment on Vegas!

Its like any insurance, hope you never need it, but if you do, you already have it instead of " wishing you had gotten it ".

I was thinking the same....insurance when you need it. I've always told myself, if the motor blows, do I have the doe for repairs. If you do, maybe the extended warranty is not needed. Our deductibles work the same way. Just my thought. By the way, I'm going to look into the extended warranty with dealer in I believe Ohio or Michigan. Do a search for extended warranties and you will find the sellers name nd location. I understand that's the bet deal.

With the riding I do, I always get my money back from extended Warranty. On my last couple of bikes, I used to get flat tires often enough. So when I saw the tire warranty, for my '10 TG, I jumped at it. 35,000 miles later, not so much as a thumb tack in any tire. Still glad I got it. Somewhere, someway, I'm sure I will get a flat.

I was thinking the same....insurance when you need it. I've always told myself, if the motor blows, do I have the doe for repairs. If you do, maybe the extended warranty is not needed. Our deductibles work the same way. Just my thought. By the way, I'm going to look into the extended warranty with dealer in I believe Ohio or Michigan. Do a search for extended warranties and you will find the sellers name nd location. I understand that's the bet deal.

I miss-spoke. The dealer is Kutter HD, Wisconsin. I have forgotten the gentlman's name you need to speak too.

They have 2 locations.

Skeet, In your situation where you do not work on your machine and probably use the dealership then I would say for your peace of mind go for it. Hope you never need it, but if you do it is there. I do not purchase them but I also do all my own work.

Thanks everyone, I used to do all my own work on my 1993 FXLR until my back gave out. I loved to spend a rainy day in the garage just cleaning and checking bolts for tightness. Heck I even took the tank off probably 10 times. I've rewired stuff and cost myself a bundle when I didn't get the disk between the brake pads...ouch, that hurt. Taught me now to do it again. I can do oil changes, but have no knowledge to do primary adjustment, clutch adjustments. So, spending a little more for the warranty would give me piece of mind.

I tried to get one on my trike. They said HD wouldn't give me one because my motor is souped up. That sucks. I guess they don't stand behind thier products too well.

jcolson, would you warranty a bike if someone else did a bunch of modifications to it? I doubt it. So I don't blame Harley for that - I blame them for a lot of other things though.

Don't get me wrong I think most extended warranties are worthless, but not on computors and Harleys. The first extended warranty (7 years) I ever purchased was on my 03 Ultra. I almost doubled the cost of repairs that I paid for the warranty. My next bike 2010 Limited I also got the 7 year warranty, but transfered it to my 2012 TG. I am 68 and my job is not the most reliable right now, so I also bought the dealers VIP service contract - that saves me over $700in scheduled services. Now if I loose my job, I can still keep riding - at least for the next 7 years, and not have to worry about paying to fix something going wrong.

I also got a $100 knocked of the VIP price because I supply my own oils(Amsoil) I will NEVER use H-D Syn3 in any bike.

So, as was said before, it is a "peace of mind" thing and only you can determine that.
The VIP contract also includes a free rear tire and brake pads.
I personnally would not get the wheel/tire warranty.

Like Memnoch451, in over 50 years I have never had a flat tire on any of my bikes or have ever damaged a wheel. Instead of the wheel/tire warranty I used that cost to add 2 years to the extended warranty. That was more important to me, but again that's your call.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png