milage between oil changes

Jul 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
The GW owner's manual says to change oil every 8,000 miles.
I am using Shell Rotella T oil but that seems like to many miles between oil changes.
When do you change oil?
Thanks for your reply.

The GW owner's manual says to change oil every 8,000 miles.
I am using Shell Rotella T oil but that seems like to many miles between oil changes.
When do you change oil?
Thanks for your reply.

Seems about right to me. I just moved to the wing from a V Star 1300 (V twin) and changed oil every 6 k there. Absolutely no noticeable wear at 108,000 miles.
Check the oil color when you change. If it is too dark you might adjust the frequency.

My 08 GW had a 185,000 miles when traded in for a new 12...............change oil an filter every 8-10,000 miles.......still runnin great
Hisst

Re: mileage between oil changes

The GL1800 engine is able to go those long distances between oil changes because it's so clean running. Manufacturers do not usually set themselves up to be replacing high dollar items like engines.

AMSOIL says with their oil one could double the manufacturers stated intervals. I'm chicken and feel 10,000 on the oil is plenty (I'm not that poor). Back when I used petroleum based oil I changed every 5,000.

I decide when to change mine based on how I've been running since the last change. If long trips with a lot of highway/Interstate speeds fully loaded and two up I will change sooner. Kind of the same theory as the new cars which tell you when to change based on engine speed/load/temp etc. The harder the use the more often the change.

I change at 5,000 using full synthetic. Probably more often then needed, but I worry about how many miles the filter can take. For such a large investment I feel better not skrimping on oil or using filters other than OEM.
That said, I've never heard of anyone having oil related engine failure.

I change at 5,000 using full synthetic. Probably more often then needed, but I worry about how many miles the filter can take. For such a large investment I feel better not skrimping on oil or using filters other than OEM.
That said, I've never heard of anyone having oil related engine failure.

Special filters are available for full synthetic oils allowing for maximum mileage between changes. Check the oil company's website for the proper filter. I got mine at NAPA for Mobil One bike oil.

My Manual also says 8,000...."but"....I can't stand it...:AGGHH:..."Old Skool" I guess, mine comes out at 4,000. I'm sure 8,000 would be fine judging by the condition, color, and amount of gas contamination at 4,000 (Very Minimal)...ThumbUp

I check the oil for feel, smell and looks. Signs of the oil starting to be used up calls for an oil change, usually around 6 or 7 thousand miles, that's 3 times per year, sometimes 4. The Harley is air cooled, has a longer stroke, higher piston speed and looser tolerances so I usually get around 4000 miles with synth oil, If I use dino oil I usually try to stay closer to 3000 miles. 3 to 5 changes a year on the 2-wheeler depending on whether the oil came from the ground or the lab.

I change every 7,000 miles with Rotella ( blue jug from WallyWorld) last year with all the problems we have been having I may do it sooner, because it wll be over a year. Most of the riding last year was long rides. If I do a lot of in town I change it in 4,000

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png