trike not setting level

arnie

450+ Posts
Dec 11, 2011
camp grove,il.usa
i have an 11 trike.While riding yesterday the guys behind me noticed the trike goes down the road with a slight lean to the left.When i got home i measured the height from fender to floor & sure enough it leans to the left 1/2 inch.I called the H-D dealer & asked them about it,& they didn't have a clue.But they told me they had a new 12 on the floor & they'd measure it & call me back.When they called back they said it had a 1/2 in. lean to the left.I asked why & they had no idea.Has anybody on here come across that? Just wondering why the lean? Thanks

I have a 96Goldwing with 09 CSC and I have the same problem. It has probably been that way since it was converted, but I never noticed it. I post on another forum the same question yesterday with no answers as yet. I have a friend with the same rig as I and his is perfectly level. We will be in touch if an answers comes around.

Arnie, hopefully someone with an 11 will pipe in, but that has been an issue with that year.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but they had it fixed at the dealership.

hi Ironhorsepilot,the dealer measured a 2012 for me yeasterday,& it was off a 1/2 in.also.I'm going to call a few more H-D dealers this morn,once they get opened & see what they might say.I really don't know what i'm looking for underneath,but both sides look the same where the hold down bolts are.strange!

i know this will sound ---------- but tire inflation the same? try lowering the air shocks to their lowest level then measure again.i'll bt dennis's 1 1/2" lift brackets would cure this problem. tGLIDEstuff.com

had the same thing on a 2010 T.G.
had to remove the trunk and adjust the 8 bolts on top of frame, mine was only
off by 3/8 of an inch so there was enough adjustment to level out the trike.
I know some guys had to have the bolt holes elongated to make enough adjustment
to level the trike out.
do a search, there's been alot of discusion on this.
No mater what Harley says, the trike should sit level.
30,000 plus an it leans to the left?????????

I know of two different TG owners that have had the local HD dealer level their trike. I believe in both cases it was around a half inch to three-quarters of an inch difference. The dealer did say they were aware of the problem and fixed it under warrenty. I suppose the statement that the level should be checked on a road to allow for the "crown" of the road surface but that just seems like a easy out for the dealer. My understanding is that if the trike is checked the frame and that is level it is just the mounting of the trunk and fenders to the frame that is actually not level and was a problem during assembly at York. I think you are taking the right approach and checking with other dealers. Sounds like your dealer didn't bother to check higher up the HD ladder.

2011 Merlot and Black TG, Dennis's lift kit and deflectors.

I have Dennis's lifts on it.I have a level floor where i'm measuring it.I have another dealer calling me back on it.Trikes are something thats just starting to sell around my are.The dealers around here will tell you they don't know that much about them.03 softtail i'm with you on your statement!It might be one of those"why as why" things!lol thanks all

I have 2011 that had to be leveled. If your trike is still under warranty it is covered. The dealer will fix at no charge. Not a bad job just takes two to lift the trunk and tour pak of together. As was stated above 8 bolts 4 on each side, there is a open square in the frame you use to level. Should have be done at the factory. When set it will not change. Thanks, Jerry

I have a 2011 Tri Glide and it also leans to the left. It seemed to me when I first bought it that it wasn't level but I dismissed it as an illusion. After seeing it mentioned here on a thread I checked and sure enough it leans to the left, about half inch low. I haven't been to the dealer since finding this but I will talk to them soon.

just don't let these dealers tell you that it's normal.
If it's normal they should mention it to you when you're getting ready to dish
out 30,000.
It can be corrected.

I know I have seen other post on here for the same issue. I never thought about it much on my wifes 2011 TG. But a couple of weeks ago we had the bike and trike out washing them for a trip to Florida. When we were done and they were both back in the garage I saw what I thought was a slight height difference in the two sides. I broke out the tape measure and sure enough the left side is 1/2 inch lower than the right side. And yes the tires did have the same air pressure in them.
I'm hoping our dealer will be as good to take care of it as some here have said about theirs.

I just got a call from a H-D dealer by me & i have an appointment next tuesday.He said that it was adjustable,but they have never done one.So i guess mine will be the test pilot! They also stated it would be covered under warranty.So if anybody else out there has this problem you should be able to get yours fixed also.I'll have more to say after next Tuesday.Thanks everybody.

That's what we are all here for, to help each other out! Good Luck with the dealer and your's being the test platform for them.

2011 Merlot and Black TG with Dennis's lift kit and deflectors.

My 2011 was low on the left side and I removed the rear body to leved it and there is not enough movement in the rear brackets that hold the rear body in place. I had to hog the holes out to get it level, I believe these castings are wrong from the supplier and that is why they all are low on the left side and when the bikes are assembled this is as close as HD can get them to level.

Does anyone have a case#? My tech said he dosen,t know anything about this problem. Mine is 1/4" low on the left side. It's a 2011. He told me he would check with HD but I know he didn't.