Spark plug gap

Most manufacturer's will give a 5 point gap spread to choose from that they feel is acceptable for your model's application. The wider the spark plug gap, the more power required by the coil for the spark to jump the gap, the narrower the gap, the less power required to jump the gap.

Under normal stock conditions, my own rule-of-thumb is to choose the gap right in the middle of the acceptable range.......in this case, for example, I'd probably go with .041.

If mods were done that increased the compression ratio, which also makes the compressed mixture denser, I'd go with the narrower gap of .039 as higher compression (denser compressed mixture) makes it harder for the spark to jump the gap, so one wants a narrower gap.

The Honda book says gap from 039 to 043, so what effect does that range have on performance?
Gerald

I doubt any. Everything manufactured has a tolerance. On the gap they are giving you a .oo4 tolerance (4 thousandth of an inch) because 1. it is not that critical, and 2. nobody can set gaps with feeler guages and get it down to a precision tolerance (.001 or less)
I set mine to the low limit or .039. The reason I do this is because after many miles the gap seems to open due to wear of the electrode and moves towards the high limit keeping it in tolerance.

​To answer the original question of whether or not gap has any effect on performance, the answer is no. The reason is, the milli micro second the spark starts to jump the gap to initialize the flame front, the spark plug is thereafter out of the picture.

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png