Rough ride

Feb 8, 2008
N.E. Texas
We went on a three day 1000 mile ride this week threw the hill country here in Texas. We have a 2011 TriGlide with Dennis's lift kit installed. The ride was rough I have 30# air in the shocks and 23# air in rear tires with 40# in front tire. It seems like the rear just road real rough, hurt your back rough. I had a 2008 Goldwing with a Champion straight axle kit. I put over 20,000 miles on it and thow it road rougher than a 2 wheeler it was not as rough as the Harley. How much air do you run in shocks and tires? Maybe just to much air pressure. I do ride two up all the time. I know the TriGlide is narrower and shorter than the Goldwings. Some help please. George

I have seen as little as 16psi in rear tires with no ill effect on the tires and a much improved ride. As for the shocks... please make sure you are putting enough air into them as to not bottom out with your normal load.. I.e. Wife, dog, Trailer and any other house hold goods you might take with you on a ride.

Thanks I will drop the rear tire pressure. I was afraid low pressure would cause tire ware. George

Have wanted to lower rear tire pressure, but have wondered just how low I can go without fear of pushing the tire off the rim if tire pressure is too low.

Phu Cat

after reading post on this forum, I dropped my wife's rear tire pressure from 25 to 20. She said she could tell a difference in the ride. She never complained about a rough ride before though. I guess she's tougher than most...lol:D

after reading post on this forum, I dropped my wife's rear tire pressure from 25 to 20. She said she could tell a difference in the ride. She never complained about a rough ride before though. I guess she's tougher than most...lol:D

It's not that I'm tougher, it's just that I'm not a whiner! My ride was fine with the 25, but a little better with the 20...nuff said:laugh:

Here I go again on tires. As an ex motorcycle mfg. we were very careful to follow tire pressures.

I remember on American Iron with Michelle, or what ever the name of the show was, a bike mfg. was on there saying their rigids rode as smooth as a softail, just let the air pressure down to 15 lbs or so. The next show they did a retraction saying never to go below the mfg. minimum recommended tire inflation guide.

With low tire pressure and a big bump, you could break the bead lose.

2 bb

Here I go again on tires. As an ex motorcycle mfg. we were very careful to follow tire pressures.

I remember on American Iron with Michelle, or what ever the name of the show was, a bike mfg. was on there saying their rigids rode as smooth as a softail, just let the air pressure down to 15 lbs or so. The next show they did a retraction saying never to go below the mfg. minimum recommended tire inflation guide.

With low tire pressure and a big bump, you could break the bead lose.

2 bb

I agree there is a fine line on how low you can run it, you can also break the bead with a tight quick corner and a lot of weight transfer.

don,t forget those tire are made for car,or small van,,,but the 3 wheel is less weight ,,,when you corner ,the force is more in front tire,,,

plus i had flat tire twice and when i stop, the rim was touching the ground and the tire was still firm on the rim !!

i will not be afraid to run back tire at 15 psi but for be on the safe side when i am 2 on it i put at 20,,,depend on the weight to !

like those big truck, more they load it more they put pressure up !!

so i guess it depend of your back load!!! hi hi hi :censored::laugh:

I run 26lbs. in the rear tires & 30 in the shocks. The ride is going to be stiffer than on a 2 wheeler. I'd rather have a little stiffer ride & not have to worry about dumping the bike in sand or gravel or left over sand in the corners. You will have to scarifice somewhere. Just my opinion. I feel alot safer on my 3wheels.

I have the lift kit in the rear of my TG and run the front tire at 38 and the rear tires at 24 and 30 lbs for shock pressure with 2 up riding. I feel the ride is just fine. My wife says the ride on the TG is better on her back than our Lexus GS (previous ride) and our RX which is our current ride. Often when going down the highway on long trips she will have me pull over as she is getting sleepy and needs to get off and wake up. I will admit the butt does get a bit numb but I don't feel the ride is rough at all. This is for both 2 lane roads as well as interstate. North Dakota does have potholes and rough roads and we often mention how smooth roads are down south compared to ours. As mentioned earlier I would maybe take a look at the air shocks and make sure they are not bottoming out with the load before you even get on the road.

2011 TG Merlot and Black, Dennis' Lift Kit and Defectors.

Last edited:
I run the Harley recommended tire pressure front and rear and max shock pressure (50psi) when riding two up. My 2012 rides very comfortable that way. My wife and I are not light weight.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png