first long trip

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
Last Thursday I left Austin, Tx for Deming NM to see a friend for a quick visit. It was my first long (for me) trip and was a real blast. Cruising along I10 at 75 mph, the trike (2008 GL Motortrike) was smooth and comfortable. I took a different route home and went thru the Cloudcroft area and then over to Carlsbad and back to I10 for a 1400 mile ride. I checked the fuel mileage while on I10 since the speed was constant and tried different speeds - 65, 70, 75. On the way back I did the same thing and the mileage was better. There was no difference in wind direction/speed. At 70 I got 28-29 on the way out and 30-32 on the way back. Is it possible that the long high speed run did something to improve the motors efficiency? As soon as I got back to Austin, I was ready to go again!
Gerald

I've yet to make any long trips on the Valk/MT, but made a run over to Georgetown one weekend, then a couple weeks ago, to Leander.

It's kinda like the 'Wings & Valkyrie Standards I've owned, if my wrist keeps the rpm exceeding 3k, fuel mileage goes to heck. :) But running 70, I've been averaging 28 mpg, city OR hwy.

Two years ago, trip to Lubbock on the Valk Standard, fighting heck of headwind once north of Abilene, fuel mileage on the two-wheeler dropped to 24 mpg. (Usually average 36)

But, Valkyries aren't noted for their fuel economy.

I am so very proud of our Texas dudes (and dudettes!) making 'big trips'!!

We're lookin' forward to one more this year, to Maggie Valley for the Rally in the Valley!!

Any other Texans want to join us??

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png