tail lights not working.

Aug 9, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have an 01 ultra with a lehman kit. The other morning when I went to go to work, the tail lights did not come on. I started the bike and poof, they worked. How odd I thought that the tail lights would not work when the bike was on, only when running. I knew that there was a problem, so I kept an eye on it. The light in the tour pack work as they should, as well as the lights in the bumper. just the two turn and break lights were out. Last night they went out and would not come on at all. This morning when I went to ride to work, no light. When i looked closer i could see the light was very very dim. When I hit the break they went out. Let go of the break and it would come back very dim, same with the blinker. I'm thinking it's a loose or bad ground. I'm not sure if the use a turn and burn kit on the trikes, but I will look for one. I'll post back when the little gremlin is found and delt with in a manor that suites his crime.:AGGHH:

It does sound like a bad ground somewhere. That is where I would start and sounds like it is just harness feed for those lights as others work. If not, good luck, have always hated wire problems, easy when you do find, just the journey there that is long!

There are basically two brake light switches, one is activated when you apply the front brake only, and the other when one apply rear brake only. I know on my 2009 which has the throttle wire etc, there is a little metal wedge shaped piece between the throttle housing and the switch housing which acts as a contact. I'm thinking though if it is something like that you wouldn't be experiencing the very faint always on situation.

I agree on the ground issue, but also look at the all the connectors in the wiring. You may have gotten water in somewhere. Start at the lights and work your way back nlooking at the connectors and grounds.

When I added some lights to the rear of my trike, you had to add an adapter to the plug for the rear lights. After I disconnected and reconnected the plug, my rear lights and breaks did the same thing. Finally put a wire tie on the plug, solved the problem. Good Luck, and happy hunting.

I have an 01 ultra with a lehman kit. The other morning when I went to go to work, the tail lights did not come on. I started the bike and poof, they worked. How odd I thought that the tail lights would not work when the bike was on, only when running. I knew that there was a problem, so I kept an eye on it. The light in the tour pack work as they should, as well as the lights in the bumper. just the two turn and break lights were out. Last night they went out and would not come on at all. This morning when I went to ride to work, no light. When i looked closer i could see the light was very very dim. When I hit the break they went out. Let go of the break and it would come back very dim, same with the blinker. I'm thinking it's a loose or bad ground. I'm not sure if the use a turn and burn kit on the trikes, but I will look for one. I'll post back when the little gremlin is found and delt with in a manor that suites his crime.:AGGHH:

Dave,

Sounds like a bad bulb and you might be getting feedback from the short in the bulb.

I think we got it right. Found a loose ground up in the faring next to the radio. Took a bunch of turns to snug it up. Lights are working in all respects. Looks as if the gremlin has been run off. For now.

I think we got it right. Found a loose ground up in the faring next to the radio. Took a bunch of turns to snug it up. Lights are working in all respects. Looks as if the gremlin has been run off. For now.

Glad you found it. nothing worse than a ground problem, does weird things.
Just found a ground problem on a guys Ducati (Spl) starter.
Oh the joys of having a MC.
Dennis

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png