Trike conversion left over parts?

Aug 9, 2010
chester sc
Just sent my builder a check to go pick up a new 2012 GW.I was wondering what the left over parts will be worth and how to sell them? Thanks

There are a few people who use the bags to make bob tail trailers. The swing arm and what not.. i know of dealers that have a ton of them.. collecting cobwebs and the rear tire and rim you can safe if you are going to use the tire on your trike(front)... I am not sure there is a good market for the take offs..or it does not seem like there is to me!

There are a few people who use the bags to make bob tail trailers. The swing arm and what not.. i know of dealers that have a ton of them.. collecting cobwebs and the rear tire and rim you can safe if you are going to use the tire on your trike(front)... I am not sure there is a good market for the take offs..or it does not seem like there is to me!

I agree, my trike conversion dealer has a mountain of parts laying around in back of his shop. I know he sold a saddlebag a couple weeks ago for $30. Not worth keeping and storing just in case.

We sold most of the take-offs from mine on ebay or craigslist. I wouldn't say we got rich from the sales ;), but anything is better than having them just sit in the garage! Especially as yours will be brand new from a 2012 bike, it would at least be worth trying to sell them.

About all that is going to sell is the rear wheel & tire and the swing arm with the rotor and brake pads. The rear tire will not fit on the front wheel (different sizes).

Rear tire and wheel $150-200
Swing arm with rotor and brake pads $150-250
Your luck may vary

You will have lots of nuts and bolts on hand if you need them.

Shipping is questionable so try to find someone local. If shipping the swing arm don't forget to drain the rear drive fluid and wrap it in a rag covered with plastic before shipping. UPS gets really pissed off if the box leaks and could cost you some real bucks.

Hey Guys and Gals,
I posted a want add (sort of) a while back asking if anyone had the "micro switch" from used bags and no one said anything. I was going to use the switch which tells the heads up display the bags are open to show if my trunk is open.
I assume the switch is with the bags when they are removed to make the trike and the wires are "shorted" under the seat to tell the heads up display the bags are closed.
Back to the original question, does anyone have the switches from the left over bags? All I need is one.
Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Rosy From NH

Hey Guys and Gals,
I posted a want add (sort of) a while back asking if anyone had the "micro switch" from used bags and no one said anything. I was going to use the switch which tells the heads up display the bags are open to show if my trunk is open.
I assume the switch is with the bags when they are removed to make the trike and the wires are "shorted" under the seat to tell the heads up display the bags are closed.
Back to the original question, does anyone have the switches from the left over bags? All I need is one.
Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Rosy From NH

I know that some of the Trike companies use them on the trikes. Send me a picture of the part you need... I Might be able to help... might!

Hey Guys and Gals,
Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Rosy From NH

I have a couple of them I cut out when I made my TAG. Send me your address and I'll put them in an envelope. goldrush06@suddenlink.net

I would like to make extra storage from my bags, have seen some on web site's where they slide into trailer hitch . has anyone on here made anything like that with there bags, i'd like to see some pic's for idea's to make use of my bags for long trips ..... Thanks for any input :Shrug:

Cam, I too have been thinking about using my leftover bags from my GL1500 Roadsmith Conversion and I found this forum :
Saddle bag hitch carrier
I also had an idea to find a "cooler" carrier that would work and mount the bags on it. I'm still formulating the specifics but thought I would just throw this idea out as well to see if anyone else has thought of it too.

When I bought my 06 and triked it, I took all the pieces home to sell.

After a while somebody bought the rear rim/tire and I threw in the rear end housing, all for $200.

Finally another guy called and wanted the fender piece. I gave the fender piece for $20 and threw in the saddle bags and misc stuff just to get rid of it.

Now there are so many conversions done, you may be stuck with all the parts.

I would like to make extra storage from my bags, have seen some on web site's where they slide into trailer hitch . has anyone on here made anything like that with there bags, i'd like to see some pic's for idea's to make use of my bags for long trips ..... Thanks for any input :Shrug:

YUP -- With enough pieces and parts it can be done and work quite well... I would never do this for someone else but for myself it was a good project. I loaded it up with about 50 pounds of cargo a couple weeks ago and rode like it wasn't there... Nothing shifter or fell off so I guess it's good for long trips now....

6867-full-side-view.jpg

6866-heres-tag.jpg

Hey Guys and Gals,
Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Rosy From NH

Hey Rosy,

The switches are on the way. That mech has two switches so I just sent them both. You'll have to do a little soldering when they get there but I'm sure you can make that happen.

Hope it helps..

YUP -- With enough pieces and parts it can be done and work quite well... I would never do this for someone else but for myself it was a good project. I loaded it up with about 50 pounds of cargo a couple weeks ago and rode like it wasn't there... Nothing shifter or fell off so I guess it's good for long trips now....

6867-full-side-view.jpg

6866-heres-tag.jpg

GREAT JOB!! It looks like it came from Honda. I'm really impressed. I have the Pac-it-Rac on the rear of mine, but I got to think the 2 saddlebags hold more. I'm courious about the tail lights. On my Champion, the dealer has instructions to return them to Champion. I'm guessing Champion does something to make the lights fit their trike kit. I'm also courious how do you open the saddlebags?

GREAT JOB!! It looks like it came from Honda. I'm really impressed. I have the Pac-it-Rac on the rear of mine, but I got to think the 2 saddlebags hold more. I'm courious about the tail lights. On my Champion, the dealer has instructions to return them to Champion. I'm guessing Champion does something to make the lights fit their trike kit. I'm also courious how do you open the saddlebags?

Thanks!!! I also built just a rack for day rides if I want to carry a medium size beverage cooler....

Motor Trike does the same thing. I had to purchase both lamp housings and all the lamp sockets/harness assemblies. I had a right saddlebag latch assembly left over from a previous project so that saved me a few $$...

I'm using conventional releases. The commercially manufactured Tag-A-Long uses a lock that mounts to the top of the bag. I don't plan on hauling the family fortune in there and locks only keep honest people honest anyway. I went to my Motor Trike dealer and got a release cable from them. Both bag release cables are routed to the back rear just behind the fender. I made a coupler to join the cables to a small key ring so all I have to do is reach up in there and pull the ring. Just as a failsafe I also kept the OEM emergency release capability...

GOLDRUSH,
You could probably have a market for your "invention" if you wished to pursue it. I'm really impressed how "factory" it looks. I've heard of saddle bags being put together to make a trailer, but your idea is much better. I'm a retired machinist and toolmaker and am not easily impressed with designs, but you have a beautiful product there.

Rosy,
You can also buy a tiny micro switch from Radio Shack....just make sure it is a "normally closed" switch instead of "normally open"....The plug on each talilight/bag harness has a brown plug and the switch just shorts across the two wires in the plug. When switch is depressed it is open - no warning, when not depressed it is closed and causes an "open" warning on the display. The micro-switches in the latch assemblies do the same thing.
Charlie

Thanks for the link Oldwing1 thats what im looking for, Great job Goldrush i guess ill have to get to the drawing board so to speak.... :Excited: :wave4:

GOLDRUSH,
You could probably have a market for your "invention" if you wished to pursue it. I'm really impressed how "factory" it looks. I've heard of saddle bags being put together to make a trailer, but your idea is much better. I'm a retired machinist and toolmaker and am not easily impressed with designs, but you have a beautiful product there.

Thank You so much for the kind words.. I just can't see doing this for someone else. Yes I do enjoy building things but I enjoy using them even more....

A few years ago I built a one wheel trailer out of a set of saddle bags but never could design a suspension that would stay concealed. The trailer was too erratic and nearly dumped me that last time I pulled it. When I got home I pulled it apart and built this one...

5545-nugget-ii-time-has-two-wheels-entire-center-open-storage-safe-functional.jpg

I can haul everything I need to solo camp and it's stable!!! My TAG won't carry enough to go camping but it will carry enough to go on a very long vacation!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png