Oil temp ?i

I have the oil temp gauge but have not installed it yet. I have the chrome bezel also. If it doesn't fit I will remove the bezel from the right side lower guage as well. I also have the large chrome piece that surrounds the lower guages and the radio so all will still look fine.

Just curious, but wouldn't this work as well or is there an accuracy problem?

Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout

Just curious, but wouldn't this work as well or is there an accuracy problem?

Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout

That's what I use and it works good. I have been thinking of replacing the AIR gauge with something else, as the AIR gauge is about worthless. The oil temp gauge makes the most sense.

Had the dipstick oil temp gage on my softail, I had one of the old analog gages. Problem with the digital ones on touring bikes is it is kind of hard to see/operate at 70 mph. The gage on the dash is pretty easy to see. If I'm not mistaken, price isn't much different.

its nice to have the oil temp gage installed. when in hot weather, or traffic jams etc.
you automatically glance at it. '09 t/g.i have a jaggs universal oil cooler 6x9 in the l/h
crash bar and the oil temp bulb in the oil cooler Line-to-engine . that way i know exactly that the oil temp going into the engine is. also have a baker plus 1 oil pan which
has the oil oitlet ant the rear of the pan. BUT the drive belt slightly rubs the oil pan, even after the dealer adjusted it for me. (rubs the paint off) but before it was rubbing
a great deal.

I have the dipstick unit and have the gauge unit to install. Reading the dipstick unit while sitting on the trike is not something that you should do while riding.

I've had the digital dipstick on my last 3 Ultras and I'm trying to decide on which one to get for the TG - the dipstick or the gage. Probably the gage only because I think the air temp gage is the STUPIDEST thing Harley has ever done. I was even going to put in the compuss until I read that was almost as worthless as the air temp gage.

I don't know why you would want to check the oil temp while riding. I'm usually OK just being able to check it after I stop, but maybe I'll enjoy watching something else while riding - like the tach/speedo/GPS/radio/mp3 player/Sat radio/oil press. The only other thing I'd like to see is gear indicator and tire press. monitor. LOL

Price wise the dipstick is far cheaper due to install labor cost - unless you do it yourself, which most people can't.
At the end of the day, I'll most likely get the gage put in or use the money as a down payment for catless headers - IF I need to do that.

Does anyone have a good explanation on why Harley has an air temp gage in the first place? Do they think we're too stupid to know if it's cold or warm??

There is a bung on the front of the oil pan just for it. They provide wiring for the sending unit to the gage, and you reuse the power wire for the light in the temp gage. About 1/2 hour job. Didn't even bother to drain the pan, took the plug out, stuck my finger over the hole, quick like a bunny stuck in the sending unit and tightened it down, lost about a teaspoon of oil. Great instructions come with the gage.

Good Luck.

GARYD I check the dipstick oil temp when I am stuck in traffic and it is awkward to see when you are sitting on the bike. If I had it to do over I would just buy the gauge.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png