I need some suggestions on 3M tape

Sep 5, 2008
Altus, Oklahoma
I have a major problem; I under estimated the holding ability of commercial 3M double sided tape.

I installed a light bar using this tape for it to have gone bad and now I have to remove it so I can replace it.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the bar removed and the tape off my fiberglass surface that is was secured to. Without any damage (I hope).

I have pulled and pulled and it doesn’t give. I thought about using a heat gun but I am concerned about surface damage to the paint or body.

Thanks for any suggestions..

Squirt it with W D 40 that's how we removed the old bumper stickers on used cars when I worked it the body shop.
Don't use it on the fingers it won't heal them sorry to here about that.

Ben can you post some digital photos of it. If you can keep the heat on the object and not on the paint it should release but you'll have to be careful. I have also used a syringe to inject Goo-Gone into the double stick tape between the body and the stuck object and that along with some carefully applied heat has helped in the past.

Just read Johns post above and WD-40 sprayed on the tape helps too and wont damage the paint if wiped off pretty soon after.

In the past, I've used a hair dryer and worked fishing line between the part to be removed and the body. After you have part off use 3M adhesive remover.

I have used goof off but to be safe I masked off the surrounding area with painters tape. I have also used a razor blade or an x-acto knife but you need to have a steady hand.

What ever method you use let us know how it comes off, then when you are done you can:

Drill Baby Drill!!!!!!:woohoo:

There is an orange based solution called sticky stuff remover. This is great for getting sticky tape etc of paintwork. Drop some on the tape and it may help. good Luck:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png