Helmet Law Question

Apr 17, 2011
Yuma, Az.
OK I have looked on the AMA site for the helmet laws for the 39 states we plan on traveling through this summer but they don't indicate what type of helmet is required.

I know some states allow a half helmet but some require a 3/4 helmet and the AMA web site will link you to the law but the law usually indicate that the helmets are approved by some entity with in the state and does not define the type helmet required.

Any one have an easy solution?

June first is not to far away and I don't really want to have to do that much research before we leave.

I still have to figure out how to operate this new zumo 665 I got delivered yesterday and get it all hooked up, install my fog lights and get the 25,000 mile service done.

30,000 mile service will be on the trip.

OK I have looked on the AMA site for the helmet laws for the 39 states we plan on traveling through this summer but they don't indicate what type of helmet is required.

I know some states allow a half helmet but some require a 3/4 helmet and the AMA web site will link you to the law but the law usually indicate that the helmets are approved by some entity with in the state and does not define the type helmet required.

Any one have an easy solution?

June first is not to far away and I don't really want to have to do that much research before we leave.

I still have to figure out how to operate this new zumo 665 I got delivered yesterday and get it all hooked up, install my fog lights and get the 25,000 mile service done.

30,000 mile service will be on the trip.

The only easy solution I could suggest would be to play it safe and get at a minimum a 3/4 DOT approved helmet. That way your covered in all states and be better protected at the same time.

The requirements for helmet in all states is that they must be "DOT" or "SNELL" approved and have the DOT sticker visible on the back of the helmet. The type of helmet makes no difference if it is "DOT" or "SNELL" approved. ThumbUp

Not sure about elsewhere, but in MA the helmet law only specifies DOTapproved (and visible), BUT if you don't have a visor or windshield then you must wear safety glasses.

Yep, the "Factory Installed" DOT sticker, and some kind of eye coverage...Windshield, Visor, Sunglasses, etc. will get You through any Helmet Required State.....ThumbUp

I have ridden in all 48 lower states with only a 1/2 helmet. Trust me when I say that cops are never shy about pulling me over for anything, but never had problem with 1/2helmet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png