Dry Belt Lub

Aug 21, 2011
Lake Murray, SC
Does anyone know of a dry lub for the belt on my 2005 Ultra Classic/Lehman Trike. Belt makes a moaning noise (it is tracking correctly). Would silicone spray work? I have a treadmill (that I don't use) that says to use silicone spray to lub the belt.

try to find one with graffite in it. the silicone can be used on rubber. just go very lightly
spray & see how that helps. is your belt rubbing anytrhing?

Just need a lub that will not hold dirt.
Yesterday 06:27 AM
Then silicone is the way to go. Pure silicone is very. very, very thick. If the silicone you're going to use is sprayable, you'll want to find out if whatever is in it will harm the belt before it evaporates.

Phu Cat

They actually make a belt dressing spray, I think STP is the mfg. Get it at any auto parts store-it will quiet your belt. One other thing you might want to check is the tension of the belt-if it is just a titch tight, you can get similar sound effects to what you are describing. Trust me on this-been there done that!ThumbUp

Just my opinion, but if your belt is making a noise I think something is not right. Have you checked to see it is running against outer flange of front transmission pulley. Also like the others said, possibly too tight especially after pulleys get warmed up. I had a belt run against outer flange of rear pulley and pulley was so hot you could not touch it.

Thanks everyone, belt not rubbing anything and not too tight according to dealer. The silicone spray says good to use on rubber, I may try that. Again thanks everyone.

I used that spray on a car belt, and I didn't like the results. It was a few years back, but if I remember right the belt tighted up after being sprayed.

When I had it on a level concrete pad, (garage floor) I laid down and rolled the trike and the belt creeked (I think it was when the teeth were engaging the rear pulley). As far as I know this belt has 28,000 miles on it and it looks new. If I reach down and rub my fingers on the belt they come back clean (sides, back and teeth). I would think if it were a rubbing problem I would get black on my fingers. The last time I had it at the dealer he said the belt was just dry and spayed it and no more noise. I ask him what he used but forgot what he said, will try to call him and ask again.

Maybe it how the belt is sitting on the grooves of the pulleys making the noise..Where new pullys put on or are they the original pulleys??

I have never used lube and most likey never will on any belt..

Well all I can say is make sure the belt is correctly tightened. The pulleys are in good shape and the drive belt is is good shape.

You can always get a second opinoin on what that noise could be..Hard to tell from the forum stand point.

Good Luck!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png