Is this worth triking?

May 9, 2012
Georgia USA
I have a HD Low Rider EVO 1340, 1997 and would like opinions on triking it.
It has 13,000 miles on it, bought it used, never rode it, too heavy for me.
Mechanically nothing wrong with it. It is a beautiful bike. Would like your opinions on this, good or bad.
Or, should I just go with something else. I do want a trike, though.
TIA

I have a HD Low Rider EVO 1340, 1997 and would like opinions on triking it.
It has 13,000 miles on it, bought it used, never rode it, too heavy for me.
Mechanically nothing wrong with it. It is a beautiful bike. Would like your opinions on this, good or bad.
Or, should I just go with something else. I do want a trike, though.
TIA

I would do a cost analysis on what kit will go on this bike before I would jump into it.

All that mumble jumble aside I always like trike'ng what you have verses buying a new tri-glide. If you can find a trike you love and you have a buyer for this bike... that would be another route I might at as well.

Good luck.. you can do it. ThumbUp

Memnock451, thanks for the advice. I probably should sell this bike and the Honda
Shadow Aero 750 that I have asked about also and then go shopping for a trike already done. Yes,
need to do the cost analysis first. Good ideals from you to consider. My hubby rides
a HD Heritage Softail and I was passenger for a lot of years. Prefer to ride my own!

Memnock451, thanks for the advice. I probably should sell this bike and the Honda
Shadow Aero 750 that I have asked about also and then go shopping for a trike already done. Yes,
need to do the cost analysis first. Good ideals from you to consider. My hubby rides
a HD Heritage Softail and I was passenger for a lot of years. Prefer to ride my own!

Well Trikes are sort of like the flu... it doesn't matter if you have the shot or not you can still catch the bug..and once you get it... you'll be sick for a very long time.

This site and almost everyone on here will be super helpful and chime in with advice... but like veggies at the market.. pick the good ones that YOU LIKE!

Good luck with your quest..I can tell you'll be out on a trike... It's just a matter of time!

If your just wanting a trike and don't care about all the fancy bells and whistles, you might look into the Cass County kits. It will get you on a trike and they don't take a lot of power away. Just a thought!

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I will check out info you gave. No, i am not
looking for all the bells and whistles just yet. I will be the only one riding it. Now, maybe the "big one" later on. Just wanting to have fun out there riding and am loving the
idea of a trike. I do run around town on my Honda Rebel 250, and venture out 40 to 50
miles, too. Lots of fun.

I thank you all so much for taking the time help me. I am such a novice with this
but already learning a lot.

Memnoch451, bikes are like the flu for me. My story, 3 years ago I rode my husband's
Cushman Eagle, the faster I rode it, on grass, the more I loved it. Got back to him
and told him that I wanted to ride a motorcycle. Almost immediately he found that
low rider and wanted me to by it. Well, I did. Too heavy and big for me. Found a
Honda Rebel 250, bought it then two weeks later, took the HD Rider's Edge course.
(Loved it). Started riding the rebel a lot. Came upon a good buy on the Honda Aero,
bought it. Have been out on it a few times already. Love it too - now want a trike. LOL

So, the Cushman was on grass or you were on grass? Makes a big difference on how much you like riding! Just kidding - I wouldn't know firsthand. :busted:

Thanks everyone for your replies. It has been suggested that maybe I sell both and
look for a used trike. This is probably the best way to go, although I "want" it now!

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.
This is a wonderful forum and a lot of helpful people. I will still be lurking and soaking
up all the info I can.

I put in my two cents on your other thread this morning. But will just say.... you will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having a trike!!!! :D

If your just wanting a trike and don't care about all the fancy bells and whistles, you might look into the Cass County kits. It will get you on a trike and they don't take a lot of power away. Just a thought!

We just finished, literally today, triking my '99 Springer with a kit from Cass County, so I can speak from personal experience. Yes, they are the cheapest "no weld" kit I could find and are made from an impressive 1" thick plates to replace swingarm and very beefy axle housings/wheel hubs, all from billet aluminum. And after riding, it doesn't seem to take away from my power too much either.

HOWEVER, it took my hubby (degree in Civil Engineering) and I (wifey weilding a wrench) a mind numbing 2 days to put on, not including tear down of my bike's rear swingarm/wheel. We both work on our old cars and have been turning a wrench for a good 20 yrs, but between fighting with the kit fitting properly and us having to modify it (grinding, cutting down, adding washers), no pictures to go by in the directions, no labeling on parts, running to parts store multiple times to replace bolts that were either too long or missing from kit, no return phone calls from Cass County for help, etc, etc... ARGH!! :confused: :gah: :mad: :censored:

I would say on a scale from 1 to 10, their kit is a 5 at best for the simple facts we saved about $500 or more on the kit, we did not having to pay someone to work on my bike (more $$), we keep all our parts, gave us "quality time" together :laugh:, and it's finally on my bike so now I can ride!

As for the OP's question, you're going to pay one way or another either by buying a trike that is complete, paying someone else to put a kit on for you or you end up like us spending two or more days pulling your hair out, loosing your sanity puttin one on yourself. If I had it all to do over, I would probably go with Frankenstein instead since they send a softail swingarm already modified rather than you having to build one out of 1" billet aluminum and they appear to be easier to install. If you have 2 bikes to sell and unless you're in love with the bike in question, their sale would most likely cover the cost of a good used trike and save your sanity :D but that is just my humble opinion :Shrug: Good luck on your decision! ThumbUp

Yorskybugs, thanks for your reply and your experience with your conversion. Glad
it worked out for you. I took the advise to sale the bikes and invest in one already
triked. I was able to do just that. I consider myself lucky that a deal came along.
Due to health reasons, he was unable to ride his trike. He also lives right here in
my hometown, so it was nice for hubby and me to meet him. Thanks again.

Thanks Gorilla.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png