2 up riding tips

Feb 25, 2012
Ontario, NY USA
About to do my first 2 up ride on my TG. Any suggestions as to what differences I may expect and what to do or not to do? Figure that acceleration and braking will be slower due to more weight, but what about handling in general? Thanks

do a pre-ride insp of your trike.check tire pressure & air shock pressure.hows the front tire for wear? see how the trike handles and adjust them

before you start on the trip. do a short trip with wife & weights as luggage.make sure you have basic tools. i like 1/4" ratchet & sockets.etc. i go kinda bare bones, if i need any stuff!! wallmart isn't too far. get use to down shifting to 5 th. in order to pass other cars. & duck behind the windshield the meeting a semi truck on a 2- lane hwy.

take your time .

To be honest I think it's just as good of an idea to prep your rider on how to ride as it is for you to test ride around the block... Just my opinion!

Until you are sure how the passenger rides out back it's a good idea to take your turns a little slower and not try to race that 65 GTO at the stop light.

I find it pretty easy to get my trike on two wheels with a passenger on very sharp turns like when pulling into a parking lot and such...mind you I'm trying a little to do this but you can do it with out knowing if your speed is up... Just a few little fyi's that might help. :D

If you are getting up on 2 wheels making a turn, you may want to consider slowing down a bit. I have never had mine on 2 wheels and I can not imagine it would be much fun flipping it on its side.

Just my opinion.

Glenn

I find it pretty easy to get my trike on two wheels with a passenger on very sharp turns like when pulling into a parking lot and such...mind you I'm trying a little to do this but you can do it with out knowing if your speed is up... Just a few little fyi's that might help. :D

That's kinda odd, Mem, cause in all our gazillion miles on our GW1800 CSC, we have NEVER gone up on two wheels.

That's kinda odd, Mem, cause in all our gazillion miles on our GW1800 CSC, we have NEVER gone up on two wheels.

Mind you I'm trying to get it on two wheels... I do some test riding as part of my job... If it's an IRS I can get it up on two wheels at 15mph or a little less. depending on how much pre-load is on the rear springs. Not bragging just stating a fact that it can be done and some times with out much effort. Not many people do trip their trikes over but some people have and it wasn't because they were trying...and they were not going over 30 mph.

I think that by letting them know that you can trip a trike is better than saying you'll never tip your trike. Tipping your trike over while riding it is VERY, VERY unsafe and I don't feel I was endorsing it as a matter of fact I feel I was making very sure that like on tv shows... "you don't try this at home"

Aside from it maybe taking a little more distance to accelerate or stop and your tire & suspension pressures are where they should be there isn't much more to do. The great thing about a trike is it is a stable platform, my wife squirms all over in the back seat and I never notice she even places her feet in my lap at times. Now when she does it on my 2 wheel Ultra that is a whole different story, I know it real quick and she isn't allowed to put her feet in my lap.

My brida was a very good passenger for me on 2 wheels. I didn't even know she was there so moving over to 3 wheels was a very easy transition. At this point in time she can move all around for comfort as she has a bad hip.

when going around off-ramps slow down to 45 mph before entering the turn. the deeper you get into the curve the more control you need on the trike. like the 360* off tramps too.

My brida was a very good passenger for me on 2 wheels. I didn't even know she was there so moving over to 3 wheels was a very easy transition. At this point in time she can move all around for comfort as she has a bad hip.

I find this true myself. My wife sat like a statue when we stopped at a light with the two wheeler. I told her if she needed to change position, do while we were moving.

With a trike she can move at will, I can hardly notice it.

Let your passenger know it's Ok to lean into the turns. Remembering how we rode tricycles as kids. Not much different except the trike weighs 1157 pounds and has a 103 c.i. engine.

Consider getting the Kury passenger road pegs for your BOB { Babe On Back }.. They help the BOB brace her feet on something in the turns and reposition legs for comfort. They could be considered a good safety item and they are a very functional add-on that she will love.

Funny, wife always rode her own bike. On the few occasions she rode on the back of my 2 wheeler I had to remind her not to say "Oh, Look" and point at something. Guaranteed lane change when she leaned to point. The couple times we rode 2 up on the trike she could wiggle, shift, point, turn around... even eat a sandwich it made no difference.

good luck and enjoy the scoot!

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED A PASSENGER EJECTION SEAT ? A BACK SEAT DRIVER IS A BACK SEAT DRIVER WHETHER IT IS IN A 4 WHEELER OR A THREE WHEELER :Coffee:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png