Motor Trike Adventure Kit U-Joints

May 27, 2011
San Angelo
Sharing this information. Please note it only applies to Motor Trike "Adventure" conversion......

For some unexplained reason trike driveline components seem to take way more abuse then their two wheel versions do. I'm sure it's a combination of exsposed stress and maybe less then perfect engineering. Regardless of the cause I'm a bit uneasy to be heading out on long trips without a back up plan. I contacted Motor Tirke to get the replacement U-Joint numbers so I could carry spares. Seems the front yoke assembly is supplied to them complete and no part number was available. They did give me Precision 369 as the rear replacement joint.

Not believing a replacement U-Joint was unavailable I did some measuring with my calipers and then went online in search of a U-Joint to match the measurements. I found the Spicer 5-170X but to double check my measurements and research I also took the driveshaft in and had the Pros take a look. They came up with the same measurements and also verified the Spicer number.

The two U-Joints (front and rear) I bought are actually Neapco joints (1-0170 and 1-0153 respectively). Funny thing -- right down to the big "X" on the opposite side of the zert fitting and the number "15" stamped in each cap, the physical appearance of the new front joint is absolutly identical to the original one.

For those of you so inclined to do this sort of work youself, I hope this helps you out.

Sharing this information. Please note it only applies to Motor Trike "Adventure" conversion......

The two U-Joints (front and rear) I bought are actually Neapco joints (1-0170 and 1-053 respectively). Funny thing -- right down to the big "X" on the opposite side of the zert fitting and the number "15" stamped in each cap, the physical appearance of the new front joint is absolutly identical to the original one.

ThumbUp Thank you for the great work investigating the part numbers for the drive shaft U-Joints. Did you happen to also price out the U-Joints and also how common are they as far as availability?

Thanks, Greg

ThumbUp Thank you for the great work investigating the part numbers for the drive shaft U-Joints. Did you happen to also price out the U-Joints and also how common are they as far as availability?

Thanks, Greg

Don't know how scarce they are on the road but the place I verified my information here in San Angelo had the Neapco brand in stock. Check out this link. You'll see there are many substitute part numbers... Northern Drivetrain, LLC: Spicer 5-170X

I gave $27 for the pair. Pretty cheap road insurance... :) :)

Don't know how scarce they are on the road but the place I verified my information here in San Angelo had the Neapco brand in stock. Check out this link. You'll see there are many substitute part numbers... Northern Drivetrain, LLC: Spicer 5-170X

I gave $27 for the pair. Pretty cheap road insurance... :) :)

Thanks Jerry,

That is a cheep price for the U-Joints and I will have to get a set to keep on the bike in some zip-lock bags and hope I never need them out on the road.

Keep up your research I enjoy reading about the MotorTrike Kits and modifications that can be done to make our trikes the best looking and running bikes.

Excellent information as usual you did a great job.

Do you have any information for chrome to go around the wheel-well area. I had the factory trim but it didn't stay put so I lost one side on the road and the other side was so lose I just took it off. I would like something like the California Side Car has around the wheel-wells. Greg

Do you have any information for chrome to go around the wheel-well area. I had the factory trim but it didn't stay put so I lost one side on the road and the other side was so lose I just took it off. I would like something like the California Side Car has around the wheel-wells. Greg

I didn't like the looks of the Motor Trike trim when I had the conversion done so I went to AutoZone and bought stick on trim. There are two style I found in various widths. One is thicker then the other. I got the thin one in 3/4 inch wide. I think it had 3M tape on the back and that was a real plus. Make sure you clean the area real well with denatured alcohol or the new stuff will come loose to. Done ask how I know..... :Trike1:

My fat fingers didn't hit all the keys on my OP... The 1-053 number is really suppose to be 1-0153.

Sorry for the confusion...