Normal "feel"

I've put 1300 miles on my Roadsmith conversion since it was completed a couple weeks ago. I really am enjoying the bike, but have one question: When cornering fairly "hard" I get a little pulsing through the handlebars as the bike corners. I "think" this is probably ok and just the back end trying to "push" the front as I'm cornering, however I am new to trikes so I don't know this for sure. At low speeds and/or gentle curves it is smooth, with no feedback. It only occurs when hitting a tight curve at speed. It is not severe or scary, but feels "strange" to someone coming off of 2 wheels. Bike does have the rake kit installed and is running an MPA reversed at 41 psi. Your thoughts/input is grealy appreciated! THANKS!

you are correct as the front tire is doing a little sliding in the hard turn. The tire is designed to be tillted when turning on a 2 wheeler. On the trike it can not tilt so it will slide a little while turning. That's what you are feeling.

Agree with Gorilla. I'm running the same setup as you and in the Arkansas twisties I encounter this sometimes. A lot depends on road surface. Also, your tire is new and its contact patch is now minimum. As you wear it down the contact patch will expand as the tire "flattens" out its profile and you should see a reduction in this feeling on tight turns as it will actually have more tread on the ground.

Thanks Guys!!! That's what I thought was going on, but with this being my first trike and no prior trike experience, I just wanted to confirm this from somebody who knows.... Thanks Again!!ThumbUp

After some additional thought, I checked and noticed you did not mention having a fork brace. If you don't, then you could also be experiencing some fork flex in the hard corners. Think about it; during a hard corner you are pushing the forks at a side angle. What you may be feeling is the forks flexing. I have Traxxion AK-20 cartridges and a Traxxion brace and my front end feels very stable with only very minor irregularities and only is very hard, fast turns.

After some additional thought, I checked and noticed you did not mention having a fork brace. If you don't, then you could also be experiencing some fork flex in the hard corners. Think about it; during a hard corner you are pushing the forks at a side angle. What you may be feeling is the forks flexing. I have Traxxion AK-20 cartridges and a Traxxion brace and my front end feels very stable with only very minor irregularities and only is very hard, fast turns.

Good point! I was wondering about the possibility of some stress on the forks.. Maybe a brace would tighten things up?

Just be careful on those hilly, or mountainous road curves as sometimes I encounter loose gravel where it has washed onto the asphalt from a rain and your bike can slide or "dance" to the apex or high point of the curve. You definitely do not want to drop off of some mountain or bluff. Most roads I have encountered here in Tennessee are okay but I have come upon the gravel and even loose walnuts that fell off a tree and in the south if its combine time when grain is being harvested approach those hills cautiously because often times there is a big John Deer just ove the hill in the middle of the road.

Just be careful on those hilly, or mountainous road curves as sometimes I encounter loose gravel where it has washed onto the asphalt from a rain and your bike can slide or "dance" to the apex or high point of the curve. You definitely do not want to drop off of some mountain or bluff. Most roads I have encountered here in Tennessee are okay but I have come upon the gravel and even loose walnuts that fell off a tree and in the south if its combine time when grain is being harvested approach those hills cautiously because often times there is a big John Deer just ove the hill in the middle of the road.

Roger That! Also, I advise folks to watch out for road apples (ask me how I know!). A couple years ago I was on my old 900 Ducati and heeled over pretty good on a curve when, right there in front of me was some Amish "emissions", fresh and just "squashed" by a cage. That stuff is SLICK!!! I didn't crash, but I think I did wrinkle the seat cover:AGGHH:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png