rear bumper

Feb 11, 2012
Parrish, FL
I'd like some ideas on putting a rear protector / bumper on my Champion IRS trike. I've searched for information on rear bumpers but found nothing specific on what to use or where to buy. I found a tread about nerf bars but got the same results. If any of you have made your own or modified something that works, would you please share how and what you did.
Thanks
Ron

Ron,
When I designed my bumper I had the 2 brackets welded just o/s each rear body mounts.They are only 3/4" wide X 1/8" thick - made to brace the ends of the bumper.My bumper is about 1 1/2" higher than the hitch.
Each kit (Hannigan or whatever) would need it's own style of mounting and bracing.My brackets go under the trike about 2" and then I added an angled piece to attach to the frame-makes it easier to remove.
You could also mount your bumper to the top side of the hitch and still pull with it.Also,if you build one be sure to have a way to run wire thru it if you ever want to add lights.
Have fun,
Tip

Bumpers on Honda trikes are for show only and do not provide adequate protection if any in an accident. Most are Nerf bars or light bars and are very expensive. Some bumpers interfear with the use of the trailer hitch.

Scott,
Speak for your self!I have a honda trike and my bumper does protect the trike from minor bumps.It was not built to protect if from a major accident - nothing else will either!
Tip

Last edited:
Scott,
Speak for your self!I have a honda trike and my bumper does protect the trike from minor bumps.It was not built to protect if from a major accident - nothing else will either!
Tip

I did speak for myself. Don't take it so personally and I wasn't attacking you. Take the information for what ever you read into it. Most are not going to build there own bumper and mounting brackets. They will buy what ever the trike dealer has. Greg

Cahampion has this: Products

Looks like it goes into the hitch, and is more of a light bar than bumper. Haven't seen one in person or any other photos, so dont know how far it extends past the bodywork, if at all. Problem with putting on a bumper on a Champion is that the lower trunk door is so low there isn't much room for a bumper, especially if towing a trailer.

Here is a set of bumpers someone makes - the attach to the fibergalss on the raised panels on either side of the trunk. Champion Trike Bumpers

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png