Drive belt replacement

At $100 an hour plus....it will cost a BUNCH at a dealership. The entire primary (outer and inner) has to come off as well as the rear end dropped and the halves separated. I have never had it done at a shop as I am lucky enough to know how to do my own. BUT....I have a friend that was quoted 12-hours labor, which I think is a bit much, but it can be an all-day project. I'd say a reasonable labor charge could very well be 6-8 hours....you do the math and add the cost of the parts.

It's going to depend on whether-or-not it's a straight-axle or an independent suspension as well. If they are not mistreated and are taken care of......no reason why one won't run 75K-plus. A good one will dry-rot before it wears-out. It's usually the age, or some misalignment issue that are the biggest concern.

I have seen what I consider to be one faulty belt that snapped on a Sporster after just a few thousand miles. The other broken belts I have seen were either caused my misalignment on the bike/trike, dry-rot of the teeth, or being penetrated by road debris. I had a dry-rotted belt on a Softail once and I knew it. I could see some of the teeth beginning to crack where they joined the belt......but I rode he!! out of it anyway....until it started stripping teeth around 300-miles from home on a "power move" around an 18-wheeler. I figured it was a trailer case, but kept tightening-up the belt and running it a few feet at a time until I had all the teeth stripped-off. I brought the bike home on the belt with no teeth. Yep...it slipped a little up hills and when it rained, but I got home with it. When I replaced it, it was about as thin as a dime, but never broke. Misalignment or loose belts are the worst enemies.

I was told by a Indy that twisting the belt will ruin it. It would be hard to twist one unless the rear wheel was off, and it was loose, but I guess anything can happen. Maybe someone inspecting the belt with the wheel off could twist it not knowing it was bad to do.

When the belt is properly tensioned, you should to be able to twist it about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. If you can actually twist the belt to the perpendicular, it's too loose. It would be about impossible to twist one unless it is running floppy-loose.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png