Transmission/Primary Chaincase oil

Aug 21, 2011
Lake Murray, SC
Trying to find out what oil to use in the transmission and primary chaincase. Looked in owners manual and all they give are part numbers for the HD oil, looked in my Clymer shop manual and all they say is to use what HD recommends. I have a 2005 Ultra Classic/Lehman. I use Mobile 1 20W-50 in the motor and would like to use synthetic in the trans and primary.

Trying to find out what oil to use in the transmission and primary chaincase. Looked in owners manual and all they give are part numbers for the HD oil, looked in my Clymer shop manual and all they say is to use what HD recommends. I have a 2005 Ultra Classic/Lehman. I use Mobile 1 20W-50 in the motor and would like to use synthetic in the trans and primary.

I run the HD Formula+ in the primary and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission, Formula+ isn't synthetic.

I use all mobil-1 products. 20/50 V Twin in the engine, 75/140 in the trany and 10/40 racing 4T in the primary. All three are syn.

I would like to know what weight HD says to use in the trans and primary. The 75/140 is thick stuff, I feel sure it would make the trans quieter but is it the correct weight. I'm not questioning anyones choice just trying to get info so I can make an informed decision. Thanks in advance for your help.

I agree with the Redline Vtwin w/ shockproof in the tranny. Put it in both my bikes and it works great. Quiet and smooth shifting.

I use Mobil 20/50 syn in the engine, and have Royal purple in the primary.

I would like to know what weight HD says to use in the trans and primary. The 75/140 is thick stuff, I feel sure it would make the trans quieter but is it the correct weight. I'm not questioning anyones choice just trying to get info so I can make an informed decision. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Redline for the tranny is very thick also, but many people use it and the Harley shops sell it. It also looks like a strawberry milkshake.

Doubt you're going to see any difference in a modern tranny with Redline as today's trannys are too refined. Shockproof was better in older trannys with more clearence.

As far as Primary oil, any 30 wt oil will work. Primary oil is just there to lube the chain and cool the clutch plates. Any oil of the right wt can do that.

Phu Cat

I use any brand or primary harley oil or Amsoil states 20 -50 same as there emgine oil will be fine in the primary..I think 30 wt a bit thick for the primary but if it works go for it..

I just got my bike back from the 1000 mile check. Had synthetic put in all around.

It's like I got a new transmission. The change is amazing, on my first shift leaving the dealer I thought the shifter shaft had broken and was no longer connnected to the gears! Finds neutral effortlessly now.

I don't think 30 wt is the best choice but it may not matter in the primary. I have heard that ATF is good in the primary, but why chance it, just buy a quart or two of the right primary oil and be done with it. You don't change the primary that often, so the cost of the right oil is no big deal.

Don't mean to start a war, but definitely disagree with phucat.
30 wt is not a good choicefor primary, to heavy. You are lubricating both the chain and the clutch. Most any motorcycle synthetic is a much better choice, they are lighter and do not contain friction modifiers which you don't want in a clutch lubricant. As for the tranny being " new design" and not needing a heavier lubricant. I and many others have found that the tranny clunks until you use a heavier lubricant such as redline or the amzoils equivalent. The clunk doesn't hurt anything just annoying. It also makes it easier to find neutral even if your clutch is a little out of adjustment. Which is normally why people have trouble finding neutral. Hence why when you take your bike for it's 1000 mile check they adjust the clutch and You suddenly have an easier time finding neutral,
Just my 2 cents.

Good points roadrumble...If anyone puts Redline in their tranny, they will notice an immediate difference. The clunking quietly starts again after a coupla or three thousand miles or so after the lube gets beat up a little, but it is still not as pronounced and is still quieter and smoother than anything else that has been in there. Tech told me that the pink peptobizmo like lube really coats the parts and continues working even if you drain it out and try something else. All the techs at my dealer use it in their bikes.

Don't mean to start a war, but definitely disagree with phucat.
30 wt is not a good choicefor primary, to heavy. You are lubricating both the chain and the clutch. Most any motorcycle synthetic is a much better choice, they are lighter and do not contain friction modifiers which you don't want in a clutch lubricant. As for the tranny being " new design" and not needing a heavier lubricant. I and many others have found that the tranny clunks until you use a heavier lubricant such as redline or the amzoils equivalent. The clunk doesn't hurt anything just annoying. It also makes it easier to find neutral even if your clutch is a little out of adjustment. Which is normally why people have trouble finding neutral. Hence why when you take your bike for it's 1000 mile check they adjust the clutch and You suddenly have an easier time finding neutral,
Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your 2 cents, another thought on primary oil. The 09 and later Triglides with the SE compensator are particular on which lubricant you use. The SE compensator won't live very long with a 30wt oil, some folks have experienced failure from oils other than Formula+.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png