Independent suspension vs straight axle

Oct 10, 2008
:confused: What is everyone's take on straight axle (Lehman) verses independent suspension (Hannigan)?

Ready to buy, need pros and cons. Straight seems a rougher ride, and independent more comfy, am I missing something??

Hi furofthedog. I've got the Champion straight axle. I haven't ridden on the independent suspension myself, but I do understand it is a "smoother" ride. However, cornering with the straight axle is wonderful. For me, that made my choice and I have no regrets. I don't find the ride particularly rough, and I would happily go with the same decision again.

You are going to find, however, that doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. Both are wonderful options, and definitely it comes down to personal preference. Get all the opinions, and decide which pros/cons matter most to you and go with it.

Keep us posted!

I ride a DFT Ind. REAR I also have ridden a 2002 Goldwing with Champion and a 1996 Goldwing with Motor Trike Straight axles. The ride to the driver is not much different. The ride to the passenger (MY wife) says it is harder on the MT than it is the Champion BUT harder on the Champion than on my DFT. So in conclusion if you are ridding alone you won't feel the difference as much as your passenger will. I have no problem in corners, I don't even have a rake on my bike. Seems a little easier ( could be my imagination) to steer the DFT threw sharp turns than either the Champion or the M.T. ( neither has A Rake ) we all have the same front tire.

:confused: What is everyone's take on straight axle (Lehman) verses independent suspension (Hannigan)?

Ready to buy, need pros and cons. Straight seems a rougher ride, and independent more comfy, am I missing something??

I suggest test rides as a basis for deciding what is best for you personally. Live or 'straight' axles are commonly found on trucks whereas most passenger cars, including sports cars are equipped with independent rear suspensions.

Whichever way you go, I feel sure you will be happy in the long run.

Forgot to mention the cost of enjoyment factor. Ind. is normally about $2,000 more than straight. Believe me the amount of pleasure you will get from what ever you choose will be worth the purchase price.

I agree with the other posts, try out the different set-ups and see which one you like. I'm sure whichever one you pick you'll be comfortable with.

You know what! Buy the one that you and the SO like the looks of the best. After a few years or many miles you may want something different or.... maybe not. There isn't much difference for a new rider, looks and trunk space may be more important. These things are so much fun it really doesn't make much difference what you ride!!!

Dwight

we ride a champion trike and my wife thinks it is a nice ride and not rough at all. i road a csc a motortrike and the champion rides just as good. but you should ride as many different trikes as you can. we are happy with our choice.

Well, furofthedog, I'll put in my two cents worth. I have owned three trikes in the last 5 years. The first two, a TriKing and a Lehman both had straight axles. The third and last for a while is a Trikeshop Roadsmith. The Roadsmith is aptly named, she hugs the curves like a long lost lover and is as smooth as fine woven silk on the straightaways. Not saying the other two weren't fun, they both were. But the RS feels just a little bit more smooth, if you get what I am trying to say. And, the price wasn't all that much more.

Of course on the RS I added a lot of stuff to the trike when I put her together that pushed the price up - stuff like a whole bunch of paint and pinstripes and lots of Safety Chrome.

I have ridden to a great degree the DFTs, Champions, Lehmans, CSCs, TriKings and a couple of Hannagins, and the RS rides as well or better than most of them. Watch for Crimson Lace up in the NC & TN mountains next week - we are going twistee riding!!!!

Garland

You know what! Buy the one that you and the SO like the looks of the best. After a few years or many miles you may want something different or.... maybe not. There isn't much difference for a new rider, looks and trunk space may be more important. These things are so much fun it really doesn't make much difference what you ride!!!

Dwight

A also agree with Nana, cornering on the champion is sweet. But then again I like the looks and handling too.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodd624

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodd624
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png