Speedo trouble.

Aug 9, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Well here is a little teaser. I went away for a long weekend in WV. While on the trip, my trailer lights began to act up. Bad ground. I just knew it was that. As the trip progressed my speedo started to act a little funny. It looked like it would drop when I shifted my bike. I have a pingel shifter on my '01 Ultra trike, and I know it draws a lot of amps to shift. So a few weeks later the speedo trouble begins to worsen, and now the two lights on the rear fender began to get intermittent. When I would shift or use the breaks, the speedo would go to 0. So now the teaser. What does the breaks, and the shifter, other then using power to operate have in common with the speedo? After some serious spark chasing a bad ground was found in a plug under the seat. That was fixed and the test ride was on. 100 feet later, the test ride was over. The speedo was still not working, but the tail lights were working great. About that time the very dim light bulb over my head began to brighten. We were chasing TWO different problems that manifested them selves at the same time. Very happy to report that a new sending unit for the speedo got me on my way. I'll be up in Gettysburg for bike week 7/13-14/2012 if anyone else is going, drop me a line.
:D

3 suggestions that you might want to do if you havent

1) Coat your battery contacts with dielectric grease making sure you tighten each nut

2) Check your ground contact points on your case and frame cleaning them if needed then adding some dielectric grease to them also

3) Check your charging system with multimeter to ensure your charging system is putting out enough voltage and check the amperage output from the stator.

One other thing to note, if the Pingle shifter is pulling a lot of amps you might be on the verge of your push/pull shift cylinder failing.

If your interested I have a whole setup Pingle #77901 with 2 new push/pull cylinders I removed from my 2008 Roadglide trike I no longer use. The controller box to make the cylinder move forward or back failed on me twice and I no longer had any confidence in the system so I removed it after the second failure. I will sell it all to you for $400 plus shipping if your interested contact me.

Tom
imhthomase@yahoo.com

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png